• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels aquire Rondon

krAbs

Per the article I posted, "[Rondon joined the Rays by way of the] international market, where the Rays grabbed him with a $2.95 million deal.

At the time, MLB.com had ranked him the 3rd best international prospect available, behind only Dermis Garcia and Nelson Gomez and had given him the following,

Scouting Grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50

Since then, his scouting grades have fallen to the following levels,

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45"

So, it sounds like he came to America and really hasn't been able to find his bat. If our coaches can work with him and the change in scenery can help with that, he seems like a guy with some real potential. At this point, I wouldn't rank him as a top (former) Rays prospect, though; MLB.com doesn't rate him in their top 30, and fangraphs doesn't put him in their top 50.

16 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Their 14th highest prospects for just cash? That's great. 

That was in 2016 -- he's nowhere near there anymore.   

That ranking seemed justified at the time coming off his age 17 season when he was all upside and showed signs of emerging power and a plus arm to go with a decent glove.  Dude has just completely flat-lined and shown almost zero development since then.

He still shows a ton of raw power but he swings pretty wildly -- K rate was over 30% last year in A ball.

11 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Per the article I posted, "[Rondon joined the Rays by way of the] international market, where the Rays grabbed him with a $2.95 million deal.

At the time, MLB.com had ranked him the 3rd best international prospect available, behind only Dermis Garcia and Nelson Gomez and had given him the following,

Scouting Grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50

Since then, his scouting grades have fallen to the following levels,

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45"

So, it sounds like he came to America and really hasn't been able to find his bat. If our coaches can work with him and the change in scenery can help with that, he seems like a guy with some real potential. At this point, I wouldn't rank him as a top (former) Rays prospect, though; MLB.com doesn't rate him in their top 30, and fangraphs doesn't put him in their top 50.

The most recent thing I saw on him had his hit tool down to 20/40...    He's still a guy because someone spent 2.9 mil on him, but the star has dimmed pretty dramatically.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The most recent thing I saw on him had his hit tool down to 20/40...    He's still a guy because someone spent 2.9 mil on him, but the star has dimmed pretty dramatically.

Owch. Honestly, he reminds me a little of Cowart. High praise early on for glove and some pure hitting ability, but he just lost all ability to consistently make good contact.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sort of sounds like Tampa’s Baldoquin.

Thats a fairly good comp but at least this guy is still only 20.   Still, like Baldo, he hasn't lived up to the advanced billing.   It's a pretty common thing with international signings.

Edited by Inside Pitch

39 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Thats a fairly good comp but at least this guy is still only 20.   Still, like Baldo, he hasn't lived up to the advanced billing.   It's a pretty common thing with international signings.

Except that most thought Baldoquin was an ok, nothing special prospect...everybody but DiPoto....