• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spring Stats

Hubs

At what point are we concerned or impressed by spring training stats? I don't think it means much for veterans, whether they are major league all-stars or journeymen. But for young guys, I like to see them perform well in ST, and if they perform poorly, I do get a little concerned.

And I do think there are a few jobs up for grabs, and Fletcher, Hermosillo, LaStella aren't really doing well, while Bourjos, Ward, and others are.

I just want to know if it's a concern for anyone else seeings a young guy in a competition for a spot hit .143 or something in ST, or if they are impressed by killing the ball like Thaiss or Ward or Rojas.

Spring stats are super-duper important - Shohei Ohtani.

But seriously, Spring Training is important for rookies, prospects, and guys competing for spots on the roster. For everyone else, they mean nothing. Basically, Thaiss, Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, Ward, Adell, Marsh and a couple relievers. That's where you look at the stats and start drawing some very snapshot-esque conclusions.

Everyone else, forget them.

Ohtani kinda ruined any notion of spring stats meaning anything to me. Sample size is too small, competition too varied. That said, David Fletcher’s consistent ST production is what had me tabbing him as our ‘19 starting 2B the last two springs.

If someone like Rojas and Walsh are still putting up a good line at the end of spring, when the data is deeper and competition more MLB caliber, I’ll start buying into it.

10 hours ago, Rico said:

I'd give Ward 3B based on spring training stats so far.  Not sure what that will mean for Fletcher.

Gotta say, Fletcher looks like he's going to start in AAA.

I just secretly hope that they take Noe Ramirez' stats as an indication and move on.

I remember a story about a pitcher that was competing for a final spot on the roster and got absolutely pulverized in the last spring training game.  Partially through the inning he realized he was going to the minors, his fate was sealed. 

After the game he was told he made the squad.