• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Interested in Nathan Eovaldi

totdprods

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/nathan-eovaldi-drawing-widespread-interest.html
Free-agent starter Nathan Eovaldi has drawn considerable interest on the open market, according to the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo, who writes that the Brewers, Phillies, Braves, Angels, White Sox, Blue Jays and Giants join the previously reported Red Sox and Padres as early suitors for the right-hander. More teams may join the fray, Cafardo adds.

Of the big three FA SPs, he's the one I'd be most interested in...still nervous about him having had two Tommy John surgeries though. Not sold on Corbin being anywhere close to his contract worth, and Keuchel's sports some worrying trends too. 

Also, no draft pick!

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Two TJs? No thanks. 

Yup - I believe once you’ve had it twice, odds strongly increase for needing it a third time. Jason Isringhausen comes to mind, but he also managed to have a long career.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Someone is going to overpay big and give him something like 5/85.

That’s my big fear. A whole lotta money and years for someone with plenty long-term questions. I could stomach 4/$65m at most.

That said, Corbin really has only been a little above league average before 2018, and Keuchel has had a few lingering injuries and allowed a league leading 211 hits last season, so I’m not real keen to either of them either. Plus, they’re more lefties. So if we were to sign one of the big three, Eovaldi is my choice.

Still think a trade makes most sense for solving top half of rotation, and free agency for the back half.

I think it's funny how my initial assessments are always proven to be low. The beginning of the year, I was convinced Eovaldi would be an Angel. His potential had yet to be tapped into and nobody was going to be chasing that hard for him given his injury history. Plus, his backstory with the Yanks and Eppler just made sense. I thought they'd get him for something cheap, like 3/30.

But what I failed to recognize I think is that because I was thinking that, so was everyone else. Then he came out in the playoffs spitting fire and I think I realized any chance to get him cheap had long since passed. It's now to the point where Eolvadi is going to be severely OVERPAID.

He's great as a buy low candidate, but when we're talking about him getting CJ Wilson or Jered Weaver type of money despite not having near the dependability or success, then it's just ridiculous. If you can get him for four years, 50-55 million, you do it. If you have to pay over 60 million for that duration, you begrudgingly bite the bullet because of the upside. But when you're talking about adding an additional year and 30 million dollars over that 50-55 million, then you know someone is going to make a mistake. I just hope it isn't the Angels paying him that much.

There's just a gigantic difference between getting him cheap (3/30), getting him at fair value 4/52), and the market price (5/85) 

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

ok, so now nobody wants to sign Eovaldi either.

enjoy your 2019 rotation, gentlemen 

I really want Eovaldi in this rotation, just not at 5/85. But if it were a choice between Eovaldi at 4/52 and Kikuchi at 5/45....that would cause me to pause and consider my options, because those are both the sort of deals I'd like to see the Angels make. 

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

ok, so now nobody wants to sign Eovaldi either.

enjoy your 2019 rotation, gentlemen 

We don't want Eovaldi. We want young starters who haven't had TJ surgery and will sign for really cheap and won't cost a draft pick and have a career ERA under 3.50. It's not that difficult.

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I really want Eovaldi in this rotation, just not at 5/85. But if it were a choice between Eovaldi at 4/52 and Kikuchi at 5/45....that would cause me to pause and consider my options, because those are both the sort of deals I'd like to see the Angels make. 

where are you getting 5/85 from? 

17 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

We don't want Eovaldi. We want young starters who haven't had TJ surgery and will sign for really cheap and won't cost a draft pick and have a career ERA under 3.50. It's not that difficult.

will we sign him in a box?

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Was it his career 4.16 era or lack of innings pitched that caught your attention. 

His high 90s/100 topping heat is a big deal. He's oozing with potential.

He didn't have a bad 2018 either. Plus his post season performance warrants some praise.