• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Scouting occurs at all levels.  It’s not a future thing only.  It’s constant.  It’s the entire baseball operations business.  

The Angels have failed to adequately acquire production.  You’re referencing Pujols.  We tried to stick Fernandez, Marte, and Valbuena into that slot to go along with Albert.  This is a failure to acquire production at the major league level and is very much an issue that involves scouting.  And that’s just at 1B.  This is an issue all over for the Angels. 

im not arguing any of that, only that right now, at this moment, the past or future dont matter.  he is our best option, therefore any consideration to cutting him or other such silliness is counter productive and moot 

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

im not arguing any of that, only that right now, at this moment, the past or future dont matter.  he is our best option, therefore any consideration to cutting him or other such silliness is counter productive and moot 

Well obviously they find someone else.  But Albert is a problem.  Whether they keep him around or not, he should not be the player they’re penciling in to get a majority of AB’s at 1B.  They need to be looking elsewhere.  Right now.  

Not sure how that’s a silly concept.  It’s a major ongoing issue for the team. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

23 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Well obviously they find someone else.  But Albert is a problem.  Whether they keep him around or not, he should not be the player they’re penciling in to get a majority of AB’s at 1B.  They need to be looking elsewhere.  Right now.  

Not sure how that’s a silly concept.  It’s a major ongoing issue for the team. 

its silly as its down the list of priorities and we have limited funds.
Paying him to do something makes more sense that paying him to do nothing for someone else that may give us maybe 0.5 WAR better.  Thats not a fiscally sound plan.  If your going to cut him its for a huge upgrade, which we cant afford, and would only be done if all other holes are filled first.  
Its a pipedream in the grand scheme. 

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

its silly as its down the list of priorities and we have limited funds.
Paying him to do something makes more sense that paying him to do nothing for someone else that may give us maybe 0.5 WAR better.  Thats not a fiscally sound plan.  If your going to cut him its for a huge upgrade, which we cant afford, and would only be done if all other holes are filled first.  
Its a pipedream in the grand scheme. 

Dude, are you even reading what im posting ?  The entirety of my posts on this topic is that they have to find players that are productive on the lower end of the spectrum. 

You’re fixated on premium players.  It’ll be good to get a few of those guys.  But what I’m saying is that the Angels need to find productive players that are cheap and that’s whats going to really make a difference. I’m not suggesting that they sink another 20 million into 1B. 

And .5 WAR at 1B is a disaster.  Which is why I’m saying they have to find something there. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

41 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Dude, are you even reading what im posting ?  The entirety of my posts on this topic is that they have to find players that are productive on the lower end of the spectrum. 

You’re fixated on premium players.  It’ll be good to get a few of those guys.  But what I’m saying is that the Angels need to find productive players that are cheap and that’s whats going to really make a difference. I’m not suggesting that they sink another 20 million into 1B. 

And .5 WAR at 1B is a disaster.  Which is why I’m saying they have to find something there. 

Yes, im reading it, No, im not fixated on anything.  
I think perhaps you might be a bit blinded by hatred of the man to not see that paying both him and another player to gain not even 1 WAR is a bit silly. 

19 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think perhaps you might be a bit blinded by hatred of the man to not see that paying both him and another player to gain not even 1 WAR is a bit 

What we have here is a failure to communicate. 

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think perhaps you might be a bit blinded by hatred of the man to not see that paying both him and another player to gain not even 1 WAR is a bit silly. 

There is no way he is recommending signing another 1 WAR player to take Alberts place.  

Lol it’s pointless.

how did we get to “you just hate Pujols” I don’t hate Pujols.  He’s not a productive player.  Especially at 1B.  I think you try and identify pain points when you’re considering  how the team can improve.  Relative to the rest of the league, the Angels get horrible production out of 1B.  So to me this is an area you look at.  I’m simply pointing out that the Angels need to do a better job acquiring productive players that other teams cast off.  Maybe they identify a way to make them better.  Maybe it’s a roster space issue.  Maybe they have a depth at the position. Any number of reasons why they’re being cast off or undervalued.   The Angels will be paying Pujols.  There’s no debating that.  Definitely not from me.  That doesn’t mean that they have to play him.  

The Angels have several areas where they can try and get more production.  Imo the areas where they have the fewest internal answers are catcher, 1b, and pitching.   This is where they need to be looking for players.  Eppler has said it a bunch of times himself. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There is no way he is recommending signing another 1 WAR player to take Alberts place.  

My whole point is you find a guy who isn’t a miserable failure.  Frankly 1 WAR would be an improvement.  Obviously you’re trying to get better then that.  Especially at 1B. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I think the way they treat Albert would have an affect on retaining Trout.  

Why? Does Trout want to win or not win? So if the Angels don’t sign Richards do you feel the same way? How are the Angels treating Albert poorly ? He’s been dreadful for two years and he’s clearly on the downside of his career. I’m confused by your statement. When has Trout said anything like this? Links?

Just now, Kevinb said:

Why? Does Trout want to win or not win? So if the Angels don’t sign Richards do you feel the same way? How are the Angels treating Albert poorly ? He’s been dreadful for two years and he’s clearly on the downside of his career. I’m confused by your statement. When has Trout said anything like this? Links?

I won’t waste time posting links, we have read enough quotes from Trout about how he feels about Albert.  Albert being unceremoniously released could be an indication of how Trout, another hall of famer, will be treated at the end of his career.  I am not saying he has been a good player, I am just saying that Albert and Trout have a connection and they both appear to be headed to the hall of fame.  

Just now, Stradling said:

I won’t waste time posting links, we have read enough quotes from Trout about how he feels about Albert.  Albert being unceremoniously released could be an indication of how Trout, another hall of famer, will be treated at the end of his career.  I am not saying he has been a good player, I am just saying that Albert and Trout have a connection and they both appear to be headed to the hall of fame.  

How he likes Albert has zero bearing on him being a starting first  baseman. It would be like saying he wouldn’t sign with the Yankees because how they treated A Rod. It’s absurd to think that. Unless you have links that says I won’t play for the Angels if they release Albert you’re just making stuff up. You could have said the same thing about Scioscia being the manager. Until they didn’t re sign him. This is complete message board made up stuff 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

How he likes Albert has zero bearing on him being a starting first  baseman. It would be like saying he wouldn’t sign with the Yankees because how they treated A Rod. It’s absurd to think that. Unless you have links that says I won’t play for the Angels if they release Albert you’re just making stuff up. You could have said the same thing about Scioscia being the manager. Until they didn’t re sign him. This is complete message board made up stuff 

Dude stop being such a jackass with the link bullshit.  You say a ton of stupid shit based off of your opinion, when have I asked you for a link?  Also Arod was a guy that was suspended and was going to sue the team, so your comparison is stupid.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Dude stop being such a jackass with the link bullshit.  You say a ton of stupid shit based off of your opinion, when have I asked you for a link?  Also Arod was a guy that was suspended and was going to sue the team, so your comparison is stupid.  

Links or it didn’t happen. Also you call me out when I do and when I “make shit up”. So don’t think I’m not gonna do the same. 

9 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Links or it didn’t happen. Also you call me out when I do and when I “make shit up”. So don’t think I’m not gonna do the same. 

Yes because I made up how he feels about Albert and I also don’t think it is much of a stretch to think the two situations are very similar.