• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Preakness

If your interest is only the Triple Crown, I agree.  I love the sport - don't follow it like I used to, but love these big races and the Breeders Cup.

I would venture to guess that over 50% of the people that tune into those three races, only tune in to follow a potential triple crown winner.

My bet is the ratings for each race would back that up.  If I am bored later, I might look it up.

Honestly I don't really get into it at all.  I think if you actually bet on it, it is different.

I went to my first race about a month ago at the Santa Anita Derby.  Guess living down the street from the SA Race Track should make me more of a fan.

Was a fun day at the OTB.  Didn't have Oxbow, but had 2nd, 3rd and 4th correctly in that order.  Know what that gets me.  Jack.  Sigh.  Knew when the rain didn't come, Orb was in trouble.  

It'll be interesting to see how the OTB will be for the Belmont.  It was packed for the Preakness.  A lot of people were complaining because there was no where to sit down, since all the tables were reserved and taken.  

Anyways, I love horse racing.  Would be better if Santa Anita was live, and I can honk my horn as I pass Nates.  But I'll take a crowd of people rooting for their 4-5 favorite, only to have a longshot school them.  

Horse racing doesn't really interest me. I've watched sporadically here and there. I find it odd how jockeys and others describe a race from a horses point of view ("war paint really dug down deep on the stretch. He refused to be beat").

Can't win off the rail at the Preakness.... Might never see a Triple-Crown again...

Hahaha.....Just because it's been since 1978, doesn't mean it won't happen.  We didn't think there would be a Triple Crown winner in MLB again either.

Horse racing doesn't really interest me. I've watched sporadically here and there. I find it odd how jockeys and others describe a race from a horses point of view ("war paint really dug down deep on the stretch. He refused to be beat").

Tank, the horses are competitive and know what is happening.  When you go to the races, before the race look under the horses rear flanks.  If there is a white substance (sweat) it is an indication that the horse is nervous about the race.  There are other indications that traiiners and jockeys will tell you about the spirit and competitiveness of these tremendous athletes.  Jockeys watch the ears of the horses as they are riding.  Great sport, but losing interest. 

Horse racing is a tough sport.  Instead of rooting for one team, you root for a horse, that will only run a minute maybe 2, maybe once a month, for a few years.  

In baseball, it would be like you have 9 guys against one pitcher.  And the guy that does it best in one at bat is the winner.  But the pitcher doesn't lose.  It's a bet on each individual batter.  And if the batter ties, it's whoever hit it farthest.  Kind of like Fantasy Leagues.  

But to me, it's like poker.  The more you know, the more you understand, it enhances the experience, and seperates you from the guy that just came to have fun at the races.  It's a chess match, with many different factors involved.  I'm a more statistics guy, point a to b to c.  And just like baseball, statistics can go out the window quick.  In that way, Horse racing is pretty similar to baseball.  In baseball, if you fail 70% of the time, you are considered really good in your field.  In Horse Racing, if you fail 80% of the time, you are considered really good.  Difference is one guy is batting, and one guy is riding.  

Horse racing is a tough sport.  Instead of rooting for one team, you root for a horse, that will only run a minute maybe 2, maybe once a month, for a few years.  

In baseball, it would be like you have 9 guys against one pitcher.  And the guy that does it best in one at bat is the winner.  But the pitcher doesn't lose.  It's a bet on each individual batter.  And if the batter ties, it's whoever hit it farthest.  Kind of like Fantasy Leagues.  

But to me, it's like poker.  The more you know, the more you understand, it enhances the experience, and seperates you from the guy that just came to have fun at the races.  It's a chess match, with many different factors involved.  I'm a more statistics guy, point a to b to c.  And just like baseball, statistics can go out the window quick.  In that way, Horse racing is pretty similar to baseball.  In baseball, if you fail 70% of the time, you are considered really good in your field.  In Horse Racing, if you fail 80% of the time, you are considered really good.  Difference is one guy is batting, and one guy is riding.  

Also, the bat doesn't have a mind of it's own