• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Rehab Question

elbooboo

7 minutes ago, elbooboo said:

Assuming Ohtani is able to pitch again, how are the Angels going to stretch him out? Will he just pitch in simulated games and stay in the majors or will the Angels put him on the DL again and send him to the minors?

Yep. Probably another "creative" use of the 10-day DL. Angels are masters at it.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Angels said he will not do a rehab assignment. He will just so simulated games at 2:30.

He probably will do a two-inning one and a three-inning one and then pitch in the majors. By then it’ll be September so its ok if he can only go 3-4 at first, just like Richards last year. 

Based on how Richards and Jc Ramirez faired, is this the last shot for that methodology? 

7 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Based on how Richards and Jc Ramirez faired, is this the last shot for that methodology? 

Again, different circumstances.

Richards was told he should get Tommy John surgery from the beginning and he chose to get the injections instead.  Even with that, it healed enough that he was able to throw 97 MPH fastballs for 104 innings before injuring it again.

No Dr has recommended Ohtani get Tommy John surgery for his injured UCL.

Just now, mulwin444 said:

Again, different circumstances.

Richards was told he should get Tommy John surgery from the beginning and he chose to get the injections instead.  Even with that, it healed enough that he was able to throw 97 MPH fastballs for 104 innings before injuring it again.

No Dr has recommended Ohtani get Tommy John surgery for his injured UCL.

I guess my question was more in regards to the process of the blood spinning. Has it shown to actually be an effective alternative? 

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I guess my question was more in regards to the process of the blood spinning. Has it shown to actually be an effective alternative? 

My understanding is it is still considered a relatively new procedure so there is a more predictable outcome for doing the Tommy John surgery as opposed to the injections.  However, I think the distinction is using the injections on someone like Richards who doctors are recommending surgery versus Ohtani where they are not.  We have lot of people in Ohtani's case saying "just get the surgery" when it's not needed.

12 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

My understanding is it is still considered a relatively new procedure so there is a more predictable outcome for doing the Tommy John surgery as opposed to the injections.  However, I think the distinction is using the injections on someone like Richards who doctors are recommending surgery versus Ohtani where they are not.  We have lot of people in Ohtani's case saying "just get the surgery" when it's not needed.

Gotcha. Well I hope it repairs itself enough to get him back on the mound.

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. 

I think the key thing here is there was nothing to lose by trying it, because If he had surgery in June or October, he’s still missing 2019.

Also, everyone’s injury is different. It seems pretty clear from the way the doctors treated Ohtani and the way his arm has responded so far (faster than the other two) that his injury wasn’t as bad in the first place. Not all tears are the same, and not all arms are the same. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. 

I think the key thing here is there was nothing to lose by trying it, because If he had surgery in June or October, he’s still missing 2019.

Also, everyone’s injury is different. It seems pretty clear from the way the doctors treated Ohtani and the way his arm has responded so far (faster than the other two) that his injury wasn’t as bad in the first place. Not all tears are the same, and not all arms are the same. 

I understand the timing portion as he would still have to miss the season, I would just assume some would rather start the recovery quicker because even when you get the surgery and are cleared for activities, generally the player doesn't return to form for another 9-12 months. The more time in between the surgery and the recovery the better IMO. I suppose wishful thinking would be to avoid surgery altogether if given that opportunity. I admit I don't follow other teams in terms of this but the process doesn't seem all that great from the Angels perspective. Granted all of their pitchers arms are falling off.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I understand the timing portion as he would still have to miss the season, I would just assume some would rather start the recovery quicker because even when you get the surgery and are cleared for activities, generally the player doesn't return to form for another 9-12 months. The more time in between the surgery and the recovery the better IMO. I suppose wishful thinking would be to avoid surgery altogether if given that opportunity. I admit I don't follow other teams in terms of this but the process doesn't seem all that great from the Angels perspective. Granted all of their pitchers arms are falling off.

My understanding is you really have to pitch to work through that initial post-rehab difficulty. You can’t just let it pass by sitting on your couch in December. It’s because it’s not a physical issue related to the ligament or your strength, but re-learning how to pitch after the injury. 

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

My understanding is you really have to pitch to work through that initial post-rehab difficulty. You can’t just let it pass by sitting on your couch in December. It’s because it’s not a physical issue related to the ligament or your strength, but re-learning how to pitch after the injury. 

100% agree especially with breaking down of scar tissue build up, I think a lot of it is mental too. I never needed Tommy John but I had severe shoulder issues in high school and into college (rotator cuff, thoracic outlet and biceps tendon tears) and I was continually holding back fearing another injury.