• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Game Day Thread 8/03 - Ohtani batting 3rd, Trout still broken.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Briceno is pretty quick for a catcher. Pretty intrigued to see what he and Arcia do the rest of the year. I like Grandal, but if these two can combine to give the Halos 1+ WAR, a 35% CS%, and a .700 OPS for league minimum the rest of the year I'm not opposed to seeing them use the money elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Anaheim Ohtanitrouts said:

Just wait till 2 or 3 years from now when you're complaining about Uptons contract

lol 3 years???  way to stick to your guns.  you backpedal faster than Deion Sanders.

fom now on your name is PRIME TIME!!

ps it'll still never happen. i don't bitch about contracts

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Briceno is pretty quick for a catcher. Pretty intrigued to see what he and Arcia do the rest of the year. I like Grandal, but if these two can combine to give the Halos 1+ WAR, a 35% CS%, and a .700 OPS for league minimum the rest of the year I'm not opposed to seeing them use the money elsewhere.

I would like both of them to control the running game.

28 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Any idea that Ohtani shouldn’t be directly in the heart of this line up every night is just wild to me.  He’s going to get better against lefty’s.  Just an awesome player. 

He'll be the lineup at DH only 3-4 days a week next year when he returns to the starting rotation.

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I would like both of them to control the running game.

Briceño has a 42% CS% (and 44% in SLC this year) in the minors so he’s excelled down there. Arcia not nearly as strong - 28% career in the minors and not much better of late, but if he brings some lefty pop behind the plate, and at least an okay CS% like 25%, and Jose gets around 35% at the big league level I’d be pretty happy. 

10 hours ago, totdprods said:

Briceño has a 42% CS% (and 44% in SLC this year) in the minors so he’s excelled down there. Arcia not nearly as strong - 28% career in the minors and not much better of late, but if he brings some lefty pop behind the plate, and at least an okay CS% like 25%, and Jose gets around 35% at the big league level I’d be pretty happy. 

Isnt easier to throw out batters in minor leagues?

49 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Isnt easier to throw out batters in minor leagues?

Career MLB vs. career MILB:

Mathis: 29% vs. 32%
Maldonado: 37% vs. 42%
Hedges: 33% vs. 34%
Realmuto: 33% vs. 37%
Bandy: 32% vs. 34%

You may get some more extreme cases like guys like Conger, 19% vs. 26%, who aren't great in the minors getting chewed up at the bigs (in '15 his CS% was 2%, only caught one of 43) but for the most part, if you can throw guys out in the minors, you can throw them out in the big leagues.

Briceno definitely has enough of a MILB track record for me to feel good about him catching 35% of would-be base stealers. Arcia seems to fall more in the range that could get hurt at the bigs, but he's looked decent behind the plate and seems to be a little more offense-oriented as a catcher too. Given that he swings from the left side, I'm a little more forgiving than I would be if he hit from the right.

They're going to be an interesting duo to watch the rest of this year. What the Angels really value isn't going to show up in data, its going to come down to how they handle the staff.