• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would anyone else have the guts to throw Ohtani into right field?

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Look at it this way, if he's in the outfield and crashing up against walls or making diving plays and hurts his shoulder? How about conversely he plays defense way too passively and gives up hits that a normal outfielder would easily be able to handle? I think he's being played perfectly right now.

Come on.  Get real.  Clearly he would not be crashing into walls and diving.  Clearly.  And clearly his speed alone would not be having him not getting to routine balls.

What if he slips on the dugout steps while not playing right??

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Come on.  Get real.  Clearly he would not be crashing into walls and diving.  Clearly.  And clearly his speed alone would not be having him not getting to routine balls.

What if he slips on the dugout steps while not playing right??

I literally assess risk for a living. I promise you the one time it happens you wont be happy.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:17 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ohtani has a 4.10 ERA after making his first five career starts against 4 of the top 10 offensive teams in the majors. 

I don’t think he’s an “average pitcher.”

I also don’t think the injury risk is the primary reason he’s not playing the OF. It’s a lot of extra strain on the legs, standing out there and squatting every pitch and running. He’s already doing more than every other player in the majors. Plus he’s going to have to practice to be good. 

Also, I really don’t think he has any desire to do it. He stopped doing it in Japan and, by all accounts, had little interest in playing in the NL.

And yet this thread continues...

Enough said...

12 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I literally assess risk for a living. I promise you the one time it happens you wont be happy.

Well I am already not happy with a regular RF hitting .150 with the risk of it being the difference between postseason and no postseason.

Choose your poison.

By the way, Trout can get hurt in center.  DH him?

The whole conversation is not about having Ohtani become a RF.  The original question is if they would have the balls to ever put Ohtani in RF should all the other pieces tempt them. . .like Calhoun still miserably bad and if Valbuena was destroying the ball offensively.

The Angels might be in the "absolutely not under any circumstances" camp and that's fine.  I personally would view a spot start here and there to be exciting, strategic, and really with no real actual risk to Ohtani.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Well I am already not happy with a regular RF hitting .150 with the risk of it being the difference between postseason and no postseason.

Choose your poison.

By the way, Trout can get hurt in center.  DH him?

The whole conversation is not about having Ohtani become a RF.  The original question is if they would have the balls to ever put Ohtani in RF should all the other pieces tempt them. . .like Calhoun still miserably bad and if Valbuena was destroying the ball offensively.

The Angels might be in the "absolutely not under any circumstances" camp and that's fine.  I personally would view a spot start here and there to be exciting, strategic, and really with no real actual risk to Ohtani.

This is not actually part of the question lol.

There's a difference between someone like Trout who constantly plays the position. He also doesn't pitch. If you lose Ohtani to a freak injury which would not otherwise exist unless you created it, you're not only losing a type 1 pitcher but (based on what we've seen so far) also a type 1 hitter. That isn't worth the manufactured risk IMO. You clearly feel otherwise and that's your prerogative .

I think the Angels are in the "we have a superstar on both sides of the ball for 6 years at minimum salary" camp. There's no reason to put him through any more than he's currently doing, which by the last 100 years or so is clearly more than any other player in the league has done.

12 minutes ago, TM3 said:

If you guys are worried about injuries, how about 1st base?  Isn't this the easiest and safest position to play?  You barely have to move, just need to field ground balls and catch, Ohtani has a long frame and would be a bigger target as well :)

If I were to field him, that's where I would put him as well.

I thought the premise of putting him in the field would be for him to be able to play an entire game at a National League park.  This would obviously be beneficial during inter-league games and possible World Series if situation arise.   This is why I'm suggesting to throw him in at the safest and easiest position for these situations.

4 minutes ago, TM3 said:

I thought the premise of putting him in the field would be for him to be able to play an entire game at a National League park.  This would obviously be beneficial during inter-league games and possible World Series if situation arise.   This is why I'm suggesting to throw him in at the safest and easiest position for these situations.

That would mean no Pujols. Which by my preference is fine, but the team and many fans would explode. My guess is that in 3-4 years that may be an option they are faced with.

20 minutes ago, TM3 said:

1st is not the safest and easiest IMO.  It's the second hot corner, 1st baseman routinely dive for ground balls, and digging out bad throws is a skill as well. The Angels have a logjam at first anyways.  Definitely start him in RF (on the road) in the WS if his arm is rested.

Edited by BackUpTheTruck

33 minutes ago, True Grich said:

And yet this thread continues...

Enough said...

No it's not.  If he's in the Conway position of the Ted Williams shift he doesn't have to move.

in face he could sit down on the field if he wanted to.  So that would eliminate all your concerns 

On 5/9/2018 at 1:45 PM, Dtwncbad said:

Obviously he couldn't do it everyday and you still use him at DH when that is the best option.

But would you have the guts to throw Ohtani in right over Calhoun if, say, Valbuena was on fire at DH?

no.

Just now, BackUpTheTruck said:

1st is not the safest and easiest IMO.  It's the second hot corner, 1st baseman routinely dive for ground balls, and digging out bad throws is a skill as well. The Angels have a logjam at first anyways.  Definitely start him in RF in the WS if his arm is rested.

I agree.  First is a lot of work and you are involved in a lot of plays

Right or left field you might have one or two plays the entire game.

This thread is an example of our fans not really deserving Ohtani.  

Guys, he is already doing more than anyone else in baseball.  Do you expect any other pitcher to play everyday?  No, well Ohtani is a pitcher first that can also DH 3-4 times a week and do some pinch hitting.  He isn’t an outfielder or a first baseman that happens to pitch.