• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018-2019 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

I agree about the Samueli's. I wouldn't be surprised if they are best friends with the owners of the Oakland Athletics & Murray playing golf with Beane.

Samueli's don't care about winning a cup, to them its all about sustaining a team that makes the playoffs with as little of spending as possible & expanding the Ducks & NHL brand in California. When the time comes they'll eventually give Murray the door to promote Madden(Best scouting director in the NHL) to GM.
At some point they gotta promote Madden or he'll take a job elsewhere.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:57 AM, UndertheHalo said:

They’re fine owners overall.  My comments aren’t about some epiphany, we’ve all known for years the Ducks are an internal payroll team.  I just only ever hear bitching about Carlyle.  I don’t think Carlyle is great.  But I also think that others are more responsible for the Ducks not winning and now being not good.  Just floating the idea that maybe the Ducks ownerships lack of commitment to actually winning a cup.  Which is reflected in Carlyle and Murray continuing to employed.  As well as, the very odd lack of big moves when the team was so close to winning.  Well, maybe fans should be pissed about that also.  Being good is a cyclical thing, especially in the NHL where FA isn’t as big a thing as baseball for example.  Eventually your best players will have to be signed and will get older and thus represent money that is nit efficiently spent.  That’s the nature of it.  But I do think the Samuelis and Murray deserve criticism for the failure to win a cup. I’ve said a bunch of times that I think Murray should get fired.  Everything I see is about Carlyle. And it seems dumb. 

Ok, I'm back.  So just my thoughts on the Samueli's.  I think they are great owners.  I think they are great for Anaheim and Orange County.  

But I do believe that they are disconnected from the team.  Yes, Henry is on the Board of Governors.  Which probably means he has a lot of pull in the league.  I think being a multibillionaire genius has a lot to do with that.  But here is why I think he is disconnected.  I think he is the "owner", but as far as the hockey team goes.  He stays out of it, and just writes the check.  It would actually not surprise me if his daughters are more involved with the team than him and Susan.  Just think about it.  Dude is the brains behind a billion dollar international company.  He also is a professor.  I really don't think he has the time for the hockey club, so he lets the hockey people run it.  Which to me is perfectly fine.  And I'm sure big decisions are run through him.  

I think he does want to win a club.  But again, he lets the hockey people run the club.  Yes, I think the team is a budget team.  Because there is only so many million dollar checks that the owners can write to keep the team balanced.  Is it his fault, or the fans?  What is it, the team has made the playoffs more than any team in the league over the last 7 or something like that.  The team has won the Pacific in 3 or 4 of those 7 years.  And yet, the team only has a 92% home attendance rate.  And in hockey, attendance is where they get their money.  

As for Murray and Carlyle.  Fire Carlyle.  Murray is a strange one.  He drafts well.  Consider the last what 7 years we have drafted towards the bottom of the draft.  Yes, there is the Nick Ritchie.  But then in 2012 he gets Lindholm, and in 2010 he gets Fowler with those low picks.  Draft wise, he does it as well as anyone.  Trades.  He does make them.  Henrique was a good one.  Eaves I still say was a good one.  Injuries suck, but he is a legitimate winger for the top line.  Bieska.  Ok, that was stupid to give him the big contract.  But the trade was good.  Kesler was a good one.  So he does make trades.  But he also does sign some bad contracts.  Which I think all GM's do.  All in all, I don't think Murray is a bad GM.  But him staying loyal to Carlyle does not look well for him.  They really need to find a speed coach.  Not a coach that blames the players for not scoring in a poorly coached team.  

On 11/21/2018 at 3:03 PM, UndertheHalo said:

If I was in the GM chair I would trade Ryan Miller, Andrew Cogliano, Silfververg and Patrick’s Eaves sooner then later.  Accumulate as much young talent as possible from that group and then make a Nylander trade happen and sign him long term.  I don’t care which one of the d men they give up.  Just let the young players finish out the year and we have something of a reset cooking.  Hopefully suck hard and get a top 5 pick.  I think that if they get some decent players out of the trades, and if our young players progress decently along with Nylander.  We come out in a much better position to compete probably in short order.  

They need to get rid of these old guard guys tho. It’s not working, it won’t work.  It’s time to accept the situation and move on.  Let’s just something for these players.  Guys like Miller and Cogliano are solidly valuable. 

I would sit Corey Perry down and make him appreciate the teams situation and that’s he’s not in the plans going forward.  He can accept a trade or be bought out.  Samueli needs to accept this if he wants to move the team forward.  If they can get another team to accept 3 million of his deal.  Great.  We get rid of a player that doesn’t do anything for us and save some money that can be directed to other areas of need. 

Anyway, in vacuum this is how I’d deal with it. 

Of the people you listed.  I think Miller is staying.  He would be a valuable trade chip.  But he is also a valuable backup to Gibson.  I actually think he will be a year to year backup goalie for the Ducks.  Just because he wants to play in So Cal for his wife's sake.  And he realizes that the sun is setting on his career, but he could still be a contributor still on this team.  Again, I just don't see him as a starter anymore.  So I don't see a playoff team wanting to give up much for him.  

Silfverberg.  Last year of his contract to UFA.  I think he's looking to get paid, if he wasn't he would have been signed to a long term deal.  

Montour.  Again, he's looking to be paid.  If not, he wouldn't have done the bridge deal and signed a long term deal.  

Cogliano.  I can see him getting traded.  I can also see him staying.  He does have the speed that if we are going to be a speed team would be a plus.  He's signed long term and for a reasonable amount.  

Eaves.  I just don't see the value in trading him.  Or I should say, I don't see a team giving much of anything for him.  Health is just too much of a question mark.  And when you see him play, you can see why.  He is always in the right dirty places all the time.  That just takes a toll.  Maybe someone would take a chance on him for a playoff run.  

All in all.  We got 7 days left.  We shall see if a Silfverberg/Montour for Nylander happens.  I think that makes a lot of sense for both teams.  But I'm not running the teams, so nothing could happen.  And then we'll be on the Feb 25th Corey Perry death watch.  

BTW.  Sucks to be Edmonton vs the Ducks.    Giving up 3 goals in 3:16 then losing it in overtime, in a playoff game nonetheless.  Then getting tied with what 14 seconds left.  Then losing it 16 seconds into overtime.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the Ducks are playing Edmonton at the Pond.  Better not leave your seats till the final horn sounds.

Interesting.

NHL Rumors: Untradeable To Tradeable For The Oilers, Wild, Ducks and Flames

Eric Stephens of The Athletic: Anaheim Ducks

Untouchable – Ryan Getzlaf, John Gibson, Troy Terry, Sam Steel, Isac Lundestrom and Max Comtois.

Doubful – Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Rickard Rakell, Ondrej Kase and Josh Mason.

Too hard to facilitate – Corey Perry, Ryan Kesler and Ryan Miller.

Highly unlikely – Patrick Eaves, Brian Gibbons and Carter Rowney.

Conceivable – Adam Henrique, Andrew Cogliano, Brandon Montour, Nick Ritchie, Jacob Larsson, Andrej Sustr and Luke Schenn.

The one that might make the most sense – Jakob Silfverberg

The one that was never thought to be possible – Pontus Aberg

I don't get the Untouchable Troy Terry.  Gibbons and Rowney as highly unlikely?  I would think a bag of pucks could net them, and playoff teams do look for 4th line depth.  As the conceivable, I get all of them except Larsson.  He hasn't looked bad at all, and he's still very young.  

The Athletic had a quote from Carlyle saying that he wasn’t worried about the offense and they need to win 2-1 games.  This is the organizational vision.  And it’s why the Ducks didn’t win a cup.  It’s why we have had a “shut down” 2nd line for years. 

They don’t prioritize scoring.  The NHL is increasingly a high scoring league. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Call me crazy.  But at this point, if I were the Ducks, I'd only offer Montour for Nylander straight up.  The more I look at the Leafs numbers, the more it looks that they have to trade Nylander.  Bob should take advantage of that.  How that works for our numbers, I don't know.  But I'm sure they can figure it out.

Then use Silfverberg for a trade deadline trade chip.  

2 hours ago, deepdrive said:

So, if Nylander doesn't sign, he sits the remainder of the season.

What happens next year. Is he still tied to Toronto and just one year further along on his way to UFA ?

Sit's remainder of season.  Yes.

Next year.  I don't know what his status becomes.  My thoughts are he's still 22, so still 4 or 5 years away from UFA.  So he'd still be a RFA.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Sit's remainder of season.  Yes.

Next year.  I don't know what his status becomes.  My thoughts are he's still 22, so still 4 or 5 years away from UFA.  So he'd still be a RFA.

That's what I thought too.

So, I'm not seeing the big push to sign him. How long can he sit and watch his career pass by ? He basically will lose most of the extra he's asking Toronto to pay him. They can sit and wait to sign him and then probably get a better trade offer.

7 hours ago, deepdrive said:

A couple more games like tonight and in an alternate universe we'll be posting:

WOW Nick Ritchie

Give Randy a raise.

I will have to give Ritchie credit though.  He finally got it through his skull that he needs to make the front of the net his office.  If he keeps it up, then he'll see a big pay raise in 3 years.  But we know Ritchie.  He won't.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I will have to give Ritchie credit though.  He finally got it through his skull that he needs to make the front of the net his office.  If he keeps it up, then he'll see a big pay raise in 3 years.  But we know Ritchie.  He won't.

Yeah, everybody has their strengths. The guys value will tend to increase with the ability of Ritchie and the coaches to put him into a role that uses those strengths. So far they’ve tended to fail by placing him in roles requiring quick, intelligent thinking.

As far as future contracts, I think Ritchie’s best contract will be a bad contract (for the organization he’s with). Certain types of guys tend to get complacent and revert to their comfort zone when they get their big contract. To me, Ritchie seems like that kind of guy. And, his comfort area is not a good place - stupid play; stupid penalties; and playing like he’s a puck handling, shooting forward.