• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Angels 2B Jahmai Jones talks with AngelsWin.com

dsc_0150.jpg?w=1000&h=662

Interview by David Saltzer, AngelsWin.com Senior Writer

Sometimes you meet people who are mature beyond their years. And, sometimes you meet people with amazing talent. Rarely, you meet people with both. One of those people with that combination of maturity and talent is Jahmai Jones, a rising star in the Angels organization.

There’s a lot to like with Jahmai Jones as a player. He hits. He steals. He gets on base. He has power. He fields. He does whatever it takes to help his team win.

But, what really makes him stand out is his attitude and maturity. He wants to help his team, and he wants to win. This offseason, he was approached by Angels GM Billy Eppler to change positions from the OF (where he’s been playing for the past few years) back to 2B, where he played in high school. Rather than look at it as a challenge, he told me he saw it as an “opportunity”. That’s wisdom way beyond his 20 years.

AngelsWin.com sat down with Jahmai to talk about his first Major League Spring Training camp. We found out who really helped him and what he learned. We talked a lot about making the transition to 2B, and how he will make the best of the opportunity that he’s been given.

Please click below to watch our interview with Jahmai Jones. And then, head out to the IE66ers to watch him play. You’ll be glad you did.

View the full article

29 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Agreeing to the position change was wisdom for sure. The wisdom of someone who can read the organizational depth chart 

The wisdom is seeing it as an opportunity, not a challenge. There's a big difference in the mindset of both words. He has a growth mindset, like Michael Jordan, and I respect him a lot for that.

I'm guessing we could fill up half of the roster for the Futures Game this year or next with the talented crop of prospects in our org.

Jones was a great interview. I'm super excited about tracking his progress this season. I think he'll turn into an incredibly good second baseman defensively because he's got baseball smarts and good work ethic to match his athleticism. 

21 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Would it be unrealistic to think there is any chance that Jam, with a good year in the minors and playing 2nd could fill our hole at 2nd next season?

I thought about this too. That said, they could just bring Kinsler back on a 1-year deal if he has a good season, giving Jones another year in the minors. 

28 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Would it be unrealistic to think there is any chance that Jam, with a good year in the minors and playing 2nd could fill our hole at 2nd next season?

I've thought quite a bit about this, and could see us resigning Kinsler on a 2 year deal. Jones could be ready by the end of next season if he gets the defense back quickly. But, to be safe, if Kinsler holds up well this year, I could see us keeping him for 2 years to help smooth over the transition.

So, our "futures" team (obviously this will probably never be a team we field, for a lot of reasons, but bear with me...) would be something like:

OF: Adell
OF: Marsh
OF: Hermosillo (I feel like we will try to re-sign/extend Trout, and Herm will end up a 4th outfielder)
1B: Thaiss
2B: Jones
SS: Rivas (assuming Maitan moves to 3B - and continues to develop)
3B: Maitan (assuming he beats out Ward)
C: ???

SP: Ohtani
SP: Barria
SP: Canning
SP: Rodriguez
SP: Castillo

Thats obviously not counting Bridwell or Trop as starters, because they aren't really prospects at this point. Realistically, they would be in there.

Overall I like this a lot though. A lot of talent, and that's assuming that Eppler doesn't pull any more rabbits out of hats between now and them hitting the majors.

Canning and Jones both seem to have a real love for baseball... Jones spoke a lot about having been blessed with the opportunity to take in information while in ST...  Dude could already give Trout tips on how to hold up his end of an interview....   

Don't mind me....  Vote Mike Trout #1!!!!

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Canning and Jones both seem to have a real love for baseball... Jones spoke a lot about having been blessed with the opportunity to take in information while in ST...  Dude could already give Trout tips on how to hold up his end of an interview....   

Don't mind me....  Vote Mike Trout #1!!!!

Agreed. Jones just loves baseball, yet came from a family of football players (his dad and 2 brothers played pro). I love his desire to win and help his team. Canning also just seems to love the game, and also just wants to win. It is a bit different, though, as a pitcher. Still, similar love for the game. I agree that it could help separate them. I also am pleased how both seem to have more of a growth mindset. If you haven't read that book, I highly recommend it.