• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jam Jones is officially moving to 2b

13 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Im mostly going off his physical tools. He a small stature guy with an average build. Not as quick in the outfield as I expected and with poor defensive instincts. Maybe he puts it all together and becomes Shane Victarino at second base.

Take that with a grain of salt. I mean I look at Kaleb Cowart and I see a guy with all the tools to be an elite player across the board. Some guys just don't have 'it' and instead struggle to carve out an MLB career.

Are you sure you aren't crossing him up with Hermosillo?  I thought Jones looked ok in CF.  He also spent less than half a year at high A.  And you know he's 20 right?  

I'm not saying he's McCutchen, but my point is that it's awfully quick to judge after a few spring appearances for a guy who's barely done being a teenager that had 50 xbh vs. older competition.  He's 6'0, 215lbs btw.  That's neither small nor avg in terms of build for a position player.  

How about Jonathan Schoop with more walks?  Schoop hit 13 hrs in 2011 for his age 19 season between A/A+.  14 in AA the next year, then 15 in 2013 mostly at AAA.  By the time he was 25 last year, he hit over 30.  Not saying Jones is going to do that, but Shane Victorino hit 2hrs in his age 19 season and 4 in his age 20 season.

What I'm really saying is that I think your Victorino comp is dookie.  ;)

I interviewed both Jones and Canning. Here's a little taste: Jones and I talked for several minutes about his transition to 2B. He is scheduled to only play that position all of this season. And @Blarg you will see Canning pitch the home opener on Thursday. Be sure to give us a scouting report. 

Dave, I'm no scout I just watch and whatever stands out I notice. The first couple of weeks all of these guys are going to look pretty raw, not knowing each other, the stadium, their position or even what he coaches want.

So opening day is just to see them on the field. Some guys are going to be better than others but by mid season you never know, some guy may have hit his ceiling even in High A (Baldoquin) and others could be that surprise when a 19 year old turns 20 and suddenly is comfortable in his shoes and really starts his career. 

That's more of June baseball. April in San Bernardino is usually cold and the ball doesn't carry. Those hoping Jones is going to show power are going to be disappointed the first few weeks until it warms up then there are the winds that blow in over left centerfield that would even challenge Trout to knock one out. 

I need to pick up some tickets. Hopefully they didn't raise prices, that is always the best part of the game, sitting down by the field for $12 or less. 

If we can extend Trout, Simmons, and Maldonado, potential sick lineup in 2021:

2B Jones

RF Adell

CF Trout

DH Upton

LF Marsh

SS Simmons

1B Thaiss/Maitan

3B Ward/Maitan

C Maldonado

with OF's Hermosillo and Hunter Jr

INF Rivas

a lot has to go right with our prospects and our veterans to see this, but just curious to take a glimpse into the future

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Dave, I'm no scout I just watch and whatever stands out I notice. The first couple of weeks all of these guys are going to look pretty raw, not knowing each other, the stadium, their position or even what he coaches want.

So opening day is just to see them on the field. Some guys are going to be better than others but by mid season you never know, some guy may have hit his ceiling even in High A (Baldoquin) and others could be that surprise when a 19 year old turns 20 and suddenly is comfortable in his shoes and really starts his career. 

That's more of June baseball. April in San Bernardino is usually cold and the ball doesn't carry. Those hoping Jones is going to show power are going to be disappointed the first few weeks until it warms up then there are the winds that blow in over left centerfield that would even challenge Trout to knock one out. 

I need to pick up some tickets. Hopefully they didn't raise prices, that is always the best part of the game, sitting down by the field for $12 or less. 

Blair, 

I get it. But, you can still tell us what you saw. I don't think they raised the prices, and, as you pointed out $12 gets you the best seats in the house--equal to the Diamond Club in Angels Stadium (minus the perks). One player who really impressed me with his interview, and whom I'd recommend keeping an eye on is Kevin Williams. The Angels jumped him over Burlington, so they are pretty high on him, and I hope he continues the good offense he put up last season in Orem. Another pitcher to watch is lefty Suarez. 

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Are you sure you aren't crossing him up with Hermosillo?  I thought Jones looked ok in CF.  He also spent less than half a year at high A.  And you know he's 20 right?  

I'm not saying he's McCutchen, but my point is that it's awfully quick to judge after a few spring appearances for a guy who's barely done being a teenager that had 50 xbh vs. older competition.  He's 6'0, 215lbs btw.  That's neither small nor avg in terms of build for a position player.  

How about Jonathan Schoop with more walks?  Schoop hit 13 hrs in 2011 for his age 19 season between A/A+.  14 in AA the next year, then 15 in 2013 mostly at AAA.  By the time he was 25 last year, he hit over 30.  Not saying Jones is going to do that, but Shane Victorino hit 2hrs in his age 19 season and 4 in his age 20 season.

What I'm really saying is that I think your Victorino comp is dookie.  ;)

You are probably right about the Victarino comp... But I'm not confusing them, I thought Hermosillo looked awful, but that is another topic. Jones is young, and he has a long way to go, I just didn't see the physical tools I expected. I like this move to second base because of all the reasons I listed that left me not so high on Jones after spring.

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Blair, 

I get it. But, you can still tell us what you saw. I don't think they raised the prices, and, as you pointed out $12 gets you the best seats in the house--equal to the Diamond Club in Angels Stadium (minus the perks). One player who really impressed me with his interview, and whom I'd recommend keeping an eye on is Kevin Williams. The Angels jumped him over Burlington, so they are pretty high on him, and I hope he continues the good offense he put up last season in Orem. Another pitcher to watch is lefty Suarez. 

Blair > Caitlyn :P

it's pretty unusual to hear about a team moving a player to a different position (at least it has been for me). to see that they've done it to two different players in the last ten days has got to be pretty rare.