• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Samsung Galaxy S9 preview: Biggest and newest Android phone due next week

Redondo

Samsung Galaxy S9 preview: Biggest and newest Android phone due next week

Images of the expected Galaxy S9 and S9+. (Credit: Evan Blass)

Samsung is expected to introduce the 5.8-inch Galaxy S9 and the 6.2-inch Galaxy S9+ next week just before Mobile World Congress starts in Barcelona on February 26. The Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2018 event will happen on Feb. 25, 2018, in Barcelona, coinciding with the MWC 2018 trade show, according to the Samsung invite.   

This year don’t expect major physical design changes, as it’s mostly a “component upgrade,” according to Evan Blass, writing about the phones at Venture Beat.

Some of the expected upgrade highlights are:

Motion-activated super slow-mo: Slated for a refresh are imaging hardware and software, which includes “motion-detected, ‘super slow-mo’” video capture, according to Blass. When fast movement is detected, the frames per second (FPS) gets a boost, going as high as 960 FPS, according to various reports.

Aperture switching: Both phones will have “variable aperture” on their main 12-megapixel cameras, Blass wrote. That feature allows you to switch between f/2.4 and f/1.5. The ability to switch aperture sizes allows you, for example, to blur the foreground and background around your subject.

The Galaxy S9+ will add another 12-megapixel rear camera module, though this one will be a fixed aperture.

The front selfie cameras are expected to be 8-megapixel in size.

Stereo speakers: A pretty big change will be speakers on the bottom and top of the phone, according to a recent report from ETNews via 9to5Google.

3D Emoji: The same ETNews report claims that Samsung’s 3D emojis will be more advanced than Apple’s – though that, of course, remains to be seen.

“3D stickers and tag shot”: Another report at Venture Beat via SamCentral says this feature will let you “add stickers or images to pictures that were taken with dual cameras and then adjust the depth of the stickers or images.” Tag shot will tag photos with the current location and weather.

Intelligent Scan: This feature would combine face and iris scanning to improve accuracy when there is very low light or very bright light, according SamCentral.

Processor and storage: The two phones will be powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 in the U.S. The larger S9+ will have 6GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. The S9 will have a 4GB/64GB configuration, same as the last generation, according to Blass.

I'm interested in this, since I'm on a S7. 

But it does seem like the S9+ is the clear cut way to go.  I kind of understand that this is an apple thing to have a better larger version.  But Samsung already has a better larger version in the Note.  So, while i can understand if it's a hardware situation where larger means more area to work with.  Making the S9 and S9+ so different in the galaxy line just doesn't make sense.  The differential should happen between the galaxy line and note line.

Also sounds like no big surprises this year.  Although one rumor I heard a while back is that the tech/hardware for fingerprint under the screen is there, just not activated yet.  

Price is also going to be a big factor in when I buy it.  Might wait till Note launch near christmas when they will have Galaxy sales.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the S9+ last night.  Haven't really delved into it.  But it's just a beast compared to my S7.  Screen really pops.  Hardly see any lag at all.  I don't know if it was on the S8, but one feature I'm liking that I haven't seen anywhere is the double tap to wake it.  Not as robust as the LG where you can double tap on the entire screen, but I just like the function.  Still have to dig in deeper to customize it.  

Finally got around to taking photos today.  Man, going from the S7 to the S9+ what a difference.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnO4AEIz2nTL1Hfb2

The photos of the mountains were taken right around sunrise to about 1 hour after sunrise.  But the last pic of my buddy next to our miner camp.  That really seemed to pop out to me.  All of these pictures were with very overcast clouds.  I didn't even use the flash on the picture of my buddy next to the camp.   

Low light, the camera sees better detail than I do.  

On 3/16/2018 at 11:14 AM, Chuckster70 said:

I have an S8 and I still love it, so I guess I will just wait another year for the S10 to come out. 

Yeah, from what I'm reading.  S8 to S9 is some minor improvements.  But I can tell you, going from a S7 to a S9+.  Huge difference.  And considering Tmobile gave me $360 for my S7, it was a real no brainer.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I found out that the S9 has a blood pressure monitor on it, using the heart rate sensor.  Not really sure how it works.  But started measuring with it, and it pretty close to what my cuff blood pressure monitor says.  It takes a bit of time, like 30+ seconds to monitor.  But might make my cuff monitor obsolete, since it's almost a 100% I'll have my phone with me than the cuff.  

I'm actually surprised this wasn't advertised more.  Because this does seem like a big feature to have.  Although it's still in the early stages, so it's not 100% yet.

• 8 months later...

One thing that concerns me is that the battery life in my S7 Edge has gotten markedly worse for about the last six months - to the point that I went from 100% power to 14% in three and a half hours last weekend with nothing running and it not being used. Unfortunately, because of the way that it is made, you can't just swap out the battery like you could with earlier models.

I don't want to drop eight-plus big ones on a replacement and have the same thing happen again. At least it didn't catch fire.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 6:46 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

One thing that concerns me is that the battery life in my S7 Edge has gotten markedly worse for about the last six months - to the point that I went from 100% power to 14% in three and a half hours last weekend with nothing running and it not being used. Unfortunately, because of the way that it is made, you can't just swap out the battery like you could with earlier models.

I don't want to drop eight-plus big ones on a replacement and have the same thing happen again. At least it didn't catch fire.

Getting the battery changed by pros costs from $40 to $100.  ($40 was a place near me that did it.)  Not sure how reputable these places are, I'd do some research.  But there is an option for you.  

https://www.cellphonerepair.com/common-issues/samsung-galaxy-s7-battery-replacement/

But depending on your carrier, I'd consider trading the S7 in for a S9.  I'd recommend the + over the S9 though.  You might be able to get a good trade in, and the price might be 50% off since the S10 is right around the corner.

So I've had my S8 for nearly two years now with no issues, still a great phone. 

That said, what's the next big release for Samsung that I should set my sights on in 2019 as I typically get a new phone every two years, then pass down my existing phone to the wife who doesn't really tap into the latest technology like I do. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

That said, what's the next big release for Samsung that I should set my sights on in 2019 as I typically get a new phone every two years, then pass down my existing phone to the wife who doesn't really tap into the latest technology like I do. 

S10 is supposed to be announced in February.  It's looking really nice from the rumors so far, I'm tempted to trade mine in.  Although the biggest thing you should look for, and have heard conflicting reports on if it will have it or not, is 5g.  I'm pretty sure it's going to have it, but that would be the big dealbreaker for me.  Especially with 5g right around the corner.  It would suck if you get the S10, it doesn't support 5g, and you are stuck with it for 2 years.  Price might be another issue.  If they go the Apple route, look for a $1k phone, yikes.  

For me, I might wait till next Christmas before deciding on upgrading.  By then the Pixel 4 should be out, and if Google makes a big leap in design and hardware, then I might go that direction because I hate how slow Samsung is in updating the software.  

5 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

S10 is supposed to be announced in February.  It's looking really nice from the rumors so far, I'm tempted to trade mine in.  Although the biggest thing you should look for, and have heard conflicting reports on if it will have it or not, is 5g.  I'm pretty sure it's going to have it, but that would be the big dealbreaker for me.  Especially with 5g right around the corner.  It would suck if you get the S10, it doesn't support 5g, and you are stuck with it for 2 years.  Price might be another issue.  If they go the Apple route, look for a $1k phone, yikes.  

For me, I might wait till next Christmas before deciding on upgrading.  By then the Pixel 4 should be out, and if Google makes a big leap in design and hardware, then I might go that direction because I hate how slow Samsung is in updating the software.  

Thanks @gotbeer. I can always count on you for this type of info.

thank u GIF by Amanda

12 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Getting the battery changed by pros costs from $40 to $100.  ($40 was a place near me that did it.)  Not sure how reputable these places are, I'd do some research.  But there is an option for you. 

But depending on your carrier, I'd consider trading the S7 in for a S9.  I'd recommend the + over the S9 though.  You might be able to get a good trade in, and the price might be 50% off since the S10 is right around the corner.

Changing a battery in an S7 Edge is a lot pricier than that, because it's essentially sealed in plastic.

I went with an S9. I will see how it goes (just got it in, haven't ported stuff over to it yet).

On 1/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Supposedly, there will be three S10 models released next month.  Low end model (5.8" flat screen), mid-size (6.1") and Plus version (6.4").  None of these are 5G models.  The rumors state that a 5G model will be released later this year with a whopping 6.7" screen size.

I'd wait for the 5G model.

15 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Supposedly, there will be three S10 models released next month.  Low end model (5.8" flat screen), mid-size (6.1") and Plus version (6.4").  None of these are 5G models.  The rumors state that a 5G model will be released later this year with a whopping 6.7" screen size.

I'd wait for the 5G model.

It'll be interesting on the 5g model, and when it comes out.  If it's 3rd/4th quarter, it goes right against the Note, Pixel, and iphone among others.  Hopefully it will make Google come out with a much improved Pixel 4.

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

It'll be interesting on the 5g model, and when it comes out.  If it's 3rd/4th quarter, it goes right against the Note, Pixel, and iphone among others.  Hopefully it will make Google come out with a much improved Pixel 4.

Knowing Samsung, they probably want to release it as soon as possible for PR reasons.  I wouldn't be surprised if it replaces the Note.

7 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Knowing Samsung, they probably want to release it as soon as possible for PR reasons.  I wouldn't be surprised if it replaces the Note.

But the note has the gimmick pen.  Something the Galaxy doesn't have.  Then again, they could just add it to the top of the line Galaxy and charge mo' money.