• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

40-Man Roster Crunch

Hubs

The Angels currently have 40 men on the 40-Man Roster, but this will certainly not be the 40-Man Roster on Day 1 of the Regular Season.

As noted previously, several Angels are out of options, meaning they have to make the lineup or be subjected to waivers and then out-righted off the 40-man roster to be sent to the minors. Those include Carlos Perez and Jefry Marte. Also includes Noe Ramirez. These three guys won't be on the 40-Man roster if they don't make the team or go on the 60-Day DL.

Also, Shohei Ohtani is likely on the 25 and 40-Man roster when the season starts. He would take one of those three spots, or the spot vacated by placing Alex Meyer on the 60-Day DL.

The Angels will be in position to claim another team's cast off, as they will likely have three spots open on the 40-Man, or those spots could also go to players who are Non-Roster Invites but make the team such as Ian Krol, Jose Fernandez, Colin Walsh, Chris Carter, Eric Young, etc.

I think Perez is traded for a minor league prospect. With enough pitchers on the 40 man with options, i think Ramirez makes the team to start the season. I think Marte is placed on waivers, and clears waivers. If he elects to stay, he goes to SLC to start the season.  That will leave 2 spots on the 40 man after Ohtani  takes Meyer's spot.

55 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Scribner, Fontana, Graterol, Diaz, Pena, Bard all could be on the bubble as well.

I see them keeping the arms and if the arms have options left even better! While they are looking for possible outside replacements due to position and hitting ability! As neither of the two highlighted have much ability in the batters box.

8 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I see them keeping the arms and if the arms have options left even better! While they are looking for possible outside replacements due to position and hitting ability! As neither of the two highlighted have much ability in the batters box.

Working for Fontana is he's a capable SS in the event Cozart or Simmons get hurt, and likewise for Graterol, we don't have much for AAA catcher depth.

If everyone stays healthy, Scribner may not be that vital for depth and may not be 'exciting' enough for a team to claim him. 

33 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Working for Fontana is he's a capable SS in the event Cozart or Simmons get hurt, and likewise for Graterol, we don't have much for AAA catcher depth.

If everyone stays healthy, Scribner may not be that vital for depth and may not be 'exciting' enough for a team to claim him. 

Which he didn't play very well last year in SPT...... Which is what I saw personally. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Scribner, Fontana, Graterol, Diaz, Pena, Bard all could be on the bubble as well.

But all of them have minor league options, (except maybe Pena?) so they'll be on the 40-man, if not the 25-man roster.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

But all of them have minor league options, (except maybe Pena?) so they'll be on the 40-man, if not the 25-man roster.

If we need to add people to the 40, it might not matter. Just saying those would be some of the first to go. 

I could see Krol, Lamb, Walsh, Fernandez, Pinder, Liriano, and EYJr all threatening for 40-man spots, and I expect Eppler to keep hunting for UT IF, SP, and RP depth.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

The Angels currently have 40 men on the 40-Man Roster, but this will certainly not be the 40-Man Roster on Day 1 of the Regular Season.

As noted previously, several Angels are out of options, meaning they have to make the lineup or be subjected to waivers and then out-righted off the 40-man roster to be sent to the minors. Those include Carlos Perez and Jefry Marte. Also includes Noe Ramirez. These three guys won't be on the 40-Man roster if they don't make the team or go on the 60-Day DL.

Also, Shohei Ohtani is likely on the 25 and 40-Man roster when the season starts. He would take one of those three spots, or the spot vacated by placing Alex Meyer on the 60-Day DL.

The Angels will be in position to claim another team's cast off, as they will likely have three spots open on the 40-Man, or those spots could also go to players who are Non-Roster Invites but make the team such as Ian Krol, Jose Fernandez, Colin Walsh, Chris Carter, Eric Young, etc.

Isn’t there 39 now with Cron traded and no one taking his spot as of yet?