• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitch clock will put more pressure on pitchers

floplag

Since it looks like we will be getting a pitch clock as soon as this season, i think our intent of going to a 6 man rotation might be an added benefit as some of these guys will be forced to work faster.
However, it also means we might be forced to carry the extra reliever limiting bench options even further. 
Thoughts? 

5 hours ago, floplag said:

Since it looks like we will be getting a pitch clock as soon as this season, i think our intent of going to a 6 man rotation might be an added benefit as some of these guys will be forced to work faster.
However, it also means we might be forced to carry the extra reliever limiting bench options even further. 
Thoughts? 

In the phone interview with MLB Now when asked about the 6 man rotation, Eppler said "I think there will times when we look into that. When we have 16, 17 and even 20 games in a row." Sounds when there are days off we will be using a 5 man rotation and moving pitchers with options up and down between AAA or getting a spot start out of the pen as necessary to keep the bench as usual.

10 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

In the phone interview with MLB Now when asked about the 6 man rotation, Eppler said "I think there will times when we look into that. When we have 16, 17 and even 20 games in a row." Sounds when there are days off we will be using a 5 man rotation and moving pitchers with options up and down between AAA or getting a spot start out of the pen as necessary to keep the bench as usual.

Agreed, but when those times arent there, what do they do? Im not sure they can leverage both unless you are talking about multiple guys getting frequent flyer miles.  sure it possible doesnt youre also talking about triggering options and a bunch of other stuff along the way.  
If i were them, and im not, i would much rather have a more flexible bench to support the goals of the ML roster, not support American Airlines 

The five slowest pitchers in 2017 (with a minimum of 100IP)

Sonny Gray - 28.3

Matt Garza - 28.1

Alex Cobb - 27.3

Yu Darvish - 27.1

Jason Hammel - 26.9

The five fastest pitchers in 2017 (minimum 100IP)

Adam Conley - 19.4

Carlos Martinez - 20.2

Jason Vargas - 20.5

Ty Blach - 20.6

Wade Miley - 20.7

The number is the average seconds between each pitch. There are some pretty good pitchers who are very slow between each pitch and I can't help but wonder how making them hurry things along might affect their performance.

4 minutes ago, OK-LA Angels said:

The five slowest pitchers in 2017 (with a minimum of 100IP)

Sonny Gray - 28.3

Matt Garza - 28.1

Alex Cobb - 27.3

Yu Darvish - 27.1

Jason Hammel - 26.9

The five fastest pitchers in 2017 (minimum 100IP)

Adam Conley - 19.4

Carlos Martinez - 20.2

Jason Vargas - 20.5

Ty Blach - 20.6

Wade Miley - 20.7

The number is the average seconds between each pitch. There are some pretty good pitchers who are very slow between each pitch and I can't help but wonder how making them hurry things along might affect their performance.

I think that the MLB may view this as a feature, not as a bug.

3 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I think that the MLB may view this as a feature, not as a bug.

That is true. If they want faster, higher scoring games, this might be the way to do it considering the top 5 pitchers based on ERA last season averaged 24.22 together. In fact, not a single pitcher in the top 30 based on ERA is under 20 seconds. I wonder how pitchers will respond to it. From my personal experiences playing baseball, pitchers are mental. Lol

Seconds between each pitch is a misnomer, because it counts the delivery of the pitch and the return throw to the pitcher. That's not when the clock starts. The pitch clock will start when the pitcher gets the ball, and then stop when it leaves.

I miss Mark Buerhle type pitchers. Kept the hitters off balance.

Also supposedly they are moving the strike zone to the top of the knee as opposed to the bottom of the kneecap. That's going to help speed things up because there will be more balls put in play.

I think it's not a length of game issue, it's a lack of action issue. More balls in play mean a more exciting game.