• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One ESSENTIAL position that we haven't filled..............

I know, I know.........it's still early.

But, there is one very important position that has yet to be filled AND IT IS ESSENTIAL that we fill it.

Not starting pitcher (we have six or seven). Not bullpen (some are unproven, but we have good potential and numbers there). Not infield backup (some combination of Cowart, Cron and Valbuena will work).

What we don't really have is a 4th outfielder who can play center, if Trout goes down or needs a blow. Upton ain't gonna cut it. He's a below average LF;  the easiest outfield position. And he has played almost no CF in his career. 

Where are we at on this? Is there someone in the minors that can fill this 4th OF position and play CF? Or is it clearly a trade or FA signing?

I'm stretching for topics here, in early January. The board topics are boring me to tears right now.

Really? This has come up in almost every thread. 

Edit: sorry that was mean.

But, as discussed in other threads, the consensus is Hermosillo is better off getting steady ABs in AAA, EYJr is probably the default, albeit imperfect, option, Revere or Maybin likely would prefer starting jobs elsewhere, Profar could handle CF and our bench role, Liriano is a potential diamond in the rough, and I've pushed the idea of Yelich as a RF upgrade who could cover CF if needed, or another acquisition making the 4th OF role non-essential by instead using a non-traditional CIF/COF type and optioning someone as needed and using Upton in emergencies.

Personally I think they should move Cron for an optionable 4th OF like a Boog Powell, Billy Burns, Dalton Pompey type. Someone who's on a level slightly between a Cowart type - a failed, versatile prospect with options and some upside needing a change of scenery - and another Hermosillo, an actual prospect who projects best as a 4th OF but could turn a corner and become a decent everyday player.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Kudos, @totdprods, for finding some way to mention Boog Powell. WTF.

EDIT: Oh wait, there's a younger Boog. Awesome.

A's traded a month or so of Alonso for Boog the Second, and Cron and Alonso were pretty comparable in production until Yonder'a breakout. Boog was never really a top-rated prospect but he kicked ass in AAA last year and did well in Oakland. He seems like a fair expectation of what Cron could fetch. 

9 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I didn't mean to imply that it hadn't been discussed, internally, in other posts. I just havent seen it stand on it's own and was wondering what the likely options are.

How much CF has Hermosillo played? I thought he was exclusively a LF guy.

238 career games in CF, ~100 in RF and LF.

Played there about 75% of the time last season as well, including AAA. I imagine he's starting CF, with EYJr in LF and Liriano in RF, for now.

I'd like to see Maybin or Revere back - I originally figured both would land starting jobs somewhere like Detroit, KC, SF, Cincinnati, Toronto as both were productive enough last year to get a 1-yr $5-8m deal, but the more this offseason drags, I'm not so sure.

Neither have had that big MLB 'payday' contract yet so I assumed they'd hold out for a starting job to have a shot at a multi-year next year, but seeing what the market is like this year and the mega-class next year, it may behoove them to take a 2-yr reserve role now and settle in to a Rajai-type 4th OF career.

Austin Jackson is intriguing too, he almost signed here before but didn't want a reserve/corner-outfield role. He had to take that eventually and flourished, so maybe it's on the table now.

I think Eppler is going to exhaust all possibilities of finding a super-sub who can play CF (Amarista, Alcantara, Profar, Sean Rod, Coghlan) and then start working on a traditional vet 4th OF type. By that point, one of those vet guys will be ready to take any gig at a reasonable price. 

I think the team will use Spring Training as an evaluation ground on Hermosillo and Young.  If they are comfortable they can handle it on an emergency basis, fine. If not, we have prospects and there still are plenty of free agents to tap.  Actually I would rather see them focus on relief pitching, looking for improvement where they can effectively get them.

The reality is that there will be precious little playing time behind Upton, Trout, and Calhoun.

If one of them goes down then you'll see Hermosillo come up or alternatively one of Young Jr. or Liriano. If it is a short term deal it is one of the latter. If it is more long term then it is Hermosillo more likely than not.

Either way it is not a need we need to fill by spending a lot of money because whomever fills it will not see a lot of time on the field.

@totdprods you need help with your Yelich obsession. I like the guy too but the odds that the Angels bump Calhoun out now in favor of spending a ton of prospect capital just seems so unlikely and out of reach that I have a really hard time seeing it happen (i.e. less than 1%). Again great player, I understand why you love him I do too but I'm worried that your expectations are higher than getting hit by lightning. :D

@ettin I never thought in a million years we'd get Simmons. I didn't think we had anyone in the farm to even keep them on the line, and I certainly didn't think Eppler would trade literally our only minor-leaguer with any discernible trade value days into the job, but lo and behold!

But I'm realistic. I know there's scant chance despite it making quite a bit of sense in my mind. Signing Darvish is also unlikely but improves the team just as much without costing prospects. 

I still like your Billy Burns for Cron idea!

16 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Should we go with HMO, as opposed to signing a Dyson? A Jay? A Bourjos?

Dyson is the likeliest to get an everyday job of that group of guys. He'd be great but we'd likely have to overpay to get him to take a reserve role, and Eppler isn't much for overpaying. Plus he was hurt quite a bit last year, never a good sign for speed guys. Don't think Jay has quite the speed, defense, or CF coverage but I've long thought he'd be a great add to Eppler's Angels. Bourjos can't steal a base to save his life, and I think they'd like another lefty bat - which they could still get if they replace Cron and role with a 4-man bench.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

@ettin I never thought in a million years we'd get Simmons. I didn't think we had anyone in the farm to even keep them on the line, and I certainly didn't think Eppler would trade literally our only minor-leaguer with any discernible trade value days into the job, but lo and behold!

But I'm realistic. I know there's scant chance despite it making quite a bit of sense in my mind. Signing Darvish is also unlikely but improves the team just as much without costing prospects. 

I still like your Billy Burns for Cron idea!

Okay I just don't want to see you come away disappointed. It would be a coup for sure but the surplus value Yelich has is tremendous and will cost a fortune for any team trying to pick him up.

I don't recall Burns for Cron but it isn't a terrible idea. :D

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

But, there is one very important position that has yet to be filled AND IT IS ESSENTIAL that we fill it.

Not starting pitcher (we have six or seven). Not bullpen (some are unproven, but we have good potential and numbers there). Not infield backup (some combination of Cowart, Cron and Valbuena will work).

What we don't really have is a 4th outfielder who can play center, if Trout goes down or needs a blow. Upton ain't gonna cut it. He's a below average LF;  the easiest outfield position. And he has played almost no CF in his career. 

Where are we at on this? Is there someone in the minors that can fill this 4th OF position and play CF? Or is it clearly a trade or FA signing?

I'm stretching for topics here, in early January. The board topics are boring me to tears right now.

No worries, Eppler is in Japan looking for Darvish Ichiro. 

1 minute ago, ettin said:

Okay I just don't want to see you come away disappointed. It would be a coup for sure but the surplus value Yelich has is tremendous and will cost a fortune for any team trying to pick him up.

I don't recall Burns for Cron but it isn't a terrible idea. :D

Man I swear it was in one ofthe Primers...

Either way, ideally I'd like to see Eppler replicate the Marte trade for a 4th OF, and pluck an undervalued guy off another team who could fill the same role we expect of Hermosillo in '18 and '19. Someone to compete a bit with Herm and offer a quick-fix solution if he doesn't pan out, or if we deal with a spate of OF injuries. I'm still not convinced that Eppler won't eventually find himself in a position the next year or two where he has to trade Jones or Hermosillo and acquiring another guy to fill that role eases that sting. Could very well be Rymer Liriano though, he fits that description to a t.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I would too.

He still has speed to cover ground in CF and can play LF and RF. Give Ohtani a Japanese teammate too.

Checks all the boxes for what you need in a 4th OF really. I joked early in the offseason about landing a Ohtani, Darvish, and Ichiro...could conceivably happen. 

He started the year poorly last year, but his last 97 games, mostly as a sub (only 15 GS), he slashed .301/.371/.375/.746 with 14 walks to 20 strikeouts.

Most remember that Revere came on strong too, but their slash lines in '18 were very similar. Revere had the upper hand with steals though.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Didn't EY Jr.  Play center when Trout was hurt last year?

Kaleb Cowart could end up the most over and under rated player on this roster.  

If fictional player Donkey Brohamski got DFA'd, and he had Cowart's specs, we'd have multiple thread about how we should pick this guy up.  

Not 26 til June even though he's entering his age 26 season.  Excellent corner IF defense.  Solid at 2b.  Decent at SS.  Can fill in a corner OF spot.  Has the arm to play RF.  

Former top 100.  About a 120 wRC+ at AAA the last 3 years.  Cowart's two biggest sins are that he had a AA meltdown in 2013 and 14 almost 4 years ago as well as the fact that he hasn't gotten a real look at the major league level.  

Could Cowart be the classic AAAA player?  Maybe, but we don't know that yet.  

What we do know is that he's versatile, has upside with the bat and is an excellent defender.  

Oh, btw, he can also steal a bag for you.  

He should make this team.