• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ditching DirecTv and ATT internet

Adam

I cut the cord a while back and have been extremely happy. My set up is FireTV (2nd generation) and PSVue. I also downloaded Terrarium TV (thanks for the advice Lou!). Have all the content I could ask for. I recommend hard wiring the ethernet connection. You would need to buy the FireTV 2nd generation (do not buy the new one). If you are going to go with a WIFI connection, then the new FireTV will be OK. I can notice a difference in speed and quality with a hard wire connection though.

You may also need to get a VPN. My ISP throttles my speed all the time. So a VPN makes a huge difference. Worst case scenario if streaming TV doesn't work for you, just go back to cable. But if done correctly, you will save money and have all the content you need. As streaming becomes more popular, channels will become more accessible.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

How much money did you save and what did you sacrifice in exchange? 

I'm saving around $60-$70/mth (including the VPN cost). But that was after I noticed my cable bill slowly rising month after month. At first the sacrifice was not being to watch all my shows live since they weren't offered on PS Vue. But with TerrariumTV, I now get those shows. The other sacrifice is sometimes I get buffering (maybe a couple times a week). On the flip side I like the interface much better and the DVR is great. Since there is no cable box, I can put a TV anywhere in my WIFI network.

On 12/28/2017 at 2:23 PM, Brandon said:

I hate cox, but have to use them.

Same here. They are about the only non-DSL choice for broadband here. I can figure out most of my own internet issues, but on the rare occasions when I have called them, they have invariably blamed my wireless router. This from the company who told me that my cable modem was dead when the problem was a service outage in my area.

3 hours ago, mancini79 said:

I'm saving around $60-$70/mth (including the VPN cost). But that was after I noticed my cable bill slowly rising month after month. At first the sacrifice was not being to watch all my shows live since they weren't offered on PS Vue. But with TerrariumTV, I now get those shows. The other sacrifice is sometimes I get buffering (maybe a couple times a week). On the flip side I like the interface much better and the DVR is great. Since there is no cable box, I can put a TV anywhere in my WIFI network.

PM me about this. I would like to hear more.

19 hours ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Does the VPN just hide you?  Does it improve your speed at all?

I have an Amazon Firestick that is jailbroken.  I don't have Terrarium downloaded and feel like it's a little hit and miss with it's effectiveness.  Would the VPN or the Terrarium help?

If you have the AFS, you should definitely download Terrarium. I use it almost exclusively these days. 

Downloaded it last night and already very happy that I did.  What a great app.  It finds many more streams than the apps that came downloaded on the firestick, way better quality, and I love that it gives you an idea which streams have stronger servers running them.  Thanks for the heads up.  

Now, what about the VPN?  Necessary?  What benefits will I get?  They seem very cheap so I'll likely just pull the trigger.  Any suggestions on services?  IPVanish?

On 12/31/2017 at 2:24 PM, mancini79 said:

I cut the cord a while back and have been extremely happy. My set up is FireTV (2nd generation) and PSVue. I also downloaded Terrarium TV (thanks for the advice Lou!). Have all the content I could ask for. I recommend hard wiring the ethernet connection. You would need to buy the FireTV 2nd generation (do not buy the new one). If you are going to go with a WIFI connection, then the new FireTV will be OK. I can notice a difference in speed and quality with a hard wire connection though.

You may also need to get a VPN. My ISP throttles my speed all the time. So a VPN makes a huge difference. Worst case scenario if streaming TV doesn't work for you, just go back to cable. But if done correctly, you will save money and have all the content you need. As streaming becomes more popular, channels will become more accessible.

This is what we're going to do but going to give it a go with a Firestick first. 

I have been reading about the VPN's?  Those of you using it, have you noticed any reduction in speed?  I have read that you give up a little speed when using the VPN because the signal needs to run through a few extra hoops in the "tunnel" to secure privacy.  But, also read that your service can't see where you go and won't see the need to throttle speed (if this actually is happening?).  

Anyone with insight on this angle?

buddy of mine started using a VPN when he lived in China mostly so he could watch st. louis cardinals and blues games. he swears by it. 

he's not back in the states but i don't know if he's still using it. i'll ask him and then forget to respond to you here, if that's okay.

On 12/28/2017 at 2:08 PM, mp170.6 said:

Lol, we just had U-Verse installed 30 minutes ago...

I’ve had u verse for the last 5 years. No issues. Whenever our promotion ended we’d just call and re up. Last time we got u verse 400 (maybe 450?) and supposedly faster internet and it was a cheaper bill. 

Thinking about going to directv this summer just so I can get nfl ticket next fall