• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Winter Meetings thread

Ohtaniland

23 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I love that idea.   The key is which prospects would need to be traded to the Reds for Suarez.

That would give the Halos solid defense at 3/4 of the INF, and some good sock in the lineup.

It makes even more sense if you think Albert is going to play 1B too.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

It sure didn't stop Eppler from dealing literally the last crumb we had in the pantry when he dealt Newcomb for Simmons. 

And again, a Yelich deal would not be in a vacuum - if other teams are demanding top prospects for guys like Hernandez or even Kipnis or Kinsler (we don't know that, but certainly could be the case) than why settle there? Pay a premium for a premium talent. OFs are in pretty high demand right now and you wouldn't have trouble moving a very reasonably priced, good player like Kole to fill one of the aforementioned needs.

a lot of assumption, who knows.  i doubt well find out regardless 

16 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree with this. There really isn't any reason to trade him. You got rid of your huge contract and also shed money with Ozuna.  Yelich is young and cheap enough to keep. He is also a fan favorite and a great piece to have in your outfield for years to come.

Yelich also is capable of covering CF, so no need for a 4th OF who has to be able to play CF. Gives you flexibility in getting someone who profiles as more of a Josh Harrison/Mitch Moreland CIF/COF type. 

He's never had a bad season, but his last two seasons have been a clear jump from his first three years. 
Those two seasons average out to... 

.290/.373/.460/.833, OPS+ of 125
39 doubles, 3 triples, 21 home runs, 14 stolen bases, 80 walks, 144 strikeouts, 4.6 WAR

Just now, totdprods said:

Yelich also is capable of covering CF, so no need for a 4th OF who has to be able to play CF. Gives you flexibility in getting someone who profiles as more of a Josh Harrison/Mitch Moreland CIF/COF type. 

He's never had a bad season, but his last two seasons have been a clear jump from his first three years. 
Those two seasons average out to... 

.290/.373/.460/.833, OPS+ of 125
39 doubles, 3 triples, 21 home runs, 14 stolen bases, 80 walks, 144 strikeouts, 4.6 WAR

I guess they're not trading him now, so we can put down the pipe dream until further notice. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

I guess they're not trading him now, so we can put down the pipe dream until further notice. 

He was always unlikely if not impossible - but I don't think Miami would refuse any serious offer right now, especially if shedding any of Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Volquez, or Chen could be involved.

1 minute ago, krAbs said:

Can you imagine how stupid that outfield would be? Upton Trout and Yelich? When Upton is the POS who the rest of the outfield makes fun of for being so crappy and old, you know you have something special.

Fun fact, Yelich's OPS+ (125) is higher than Upton's (121) over the last two years.

Cesar Hernandez' (109) is just a tick higher than Escobar's (103).

Kole Calhoun's is 107.

22 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I can almost guarantee Yellich would cost Adell, Marsh, and Rodriguez. 

And more that we really cannot afford to give up.

We'd literally have to send Kole Calhoun, Andrew Heaney, and three of our best prospects to hit Christian's value.

Too much just stick with Calhoun. Yelich might get even better but the difference in total price to acquire to his current level of performance doesn't make sense to me. If you think Christian is going to get a lot better then maybe it might make a little more sense but it seems so complicated in terms of price to be even achievable.

How about Bridwell, Hermosillo, Thaiss & Ward (sending them two former 1st rounders as the selling point, a near ready outfielder who they'll need and a reliable young starter that's cost controlled) for Prado, Chen and Yelich?

They dump a shit ton of money in this deal and get some talent back. 

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Little #Angels minor league tidbit. Spoke to someone from outside the organization who is familiar with the Angels system: He likes Jaime Barria better than Jahmai Jones. Says both are major leaguers though.

— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) December 13, 2017

Honestly, it all comes down to what you fancy. Some people prefer Chris Rodriguez over Barria, some like Fletcher more than Maitan.

I'm more willing to trade Jones than I am Barria, mostly because we have so many upside OF prospects and so few upside pitching prospects.

If we didn't have Adell AND Marsh it might be different.

48 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Would you trade Calhoun, Hermosillo & something else for Yelich and Prado (to platoon and for roster U depth)? Prado is expensive so I'm sure they're desperate to unload his contract at $28.5 million over the next two seasons

All day every day.

Yelich is a stud. And Prado fills a need.

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He was always unlikely if not impossible - but I don't think Miami would refuse any serious offer right now, especially if shedding any of Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Volquez, or Chen could be involved.

Respectfully I don't believe any of those guys would move the needle in any significant manner as far as the price to acquire goes. Prado, from my point of view actually has a bit of surplus value at his current price so he would actually make a trade more pricey in my opinion.

Miami's need to reduce payroll has softened considerably now that Stanton and Ozuna are off the books. They could easily wait for the trade deadline now on both Prado and Ziegler who both have a better chance to improve their stock a bit for a deal at that time.

All three of Tazawa, Volquez, and Chen are dead money for the most part. Chen is owed $20M and $22M in 2019 and 2020! Yikes! I know your point tot's is to use that dead money as part of the "value" to acquire Yelich but it seems complicated to add an additional $16M in Chen's AAV.

Edited by ettin

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

All day every day.

Yelich is a stud. And Prado fills a need.

They dump millions of guaranteed money in this deal and get two guys that can contribute now in Hermosillo and Bridwell, while Ward and Thaiss are very close. Thaiss replaces Bour who you know will be traded and Ward replaces J.T. Realmuto by midseason or in 2019.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports hears the Marlins "intend to hold onto Christian Yelich."

There is a massive organizational fire sale underway in Miami, with Giancarlo Stanton and Marcell Ozuna already out the door, but Yelich is under the Marlins' control through 2021 with a club option for 2022 and they apparently want to try to build around the 26-year-old outfielder. Alex Pavlovic of CSN Bay Area confirms this thought, tweeting Wednesday that the Giants "have repeatedly been told" by the Marlins that Yelich is not available.

Jason Beck‏ @beckjason
At this point, Angels may be most logical fit for a Kinsler deal. Farm system isn't deep, but can address a Tigers need with outfield prospects such as Jo Adell, Jahmai Jones and Brandon Marsh.

From the Tigers MLB.com beat writer. If that is indeed the asking price, that's a firm no for me, and that's exactly why I'm advocating that we keep an open mind in terms of where else we could improve, such as RF or SP, if we are being asked on our top prospects. If we need to fill a void by trading significant prospects, there may be different targets.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Jason Beck‏ @beckjason
At this point, Angels may be most logical fit for a Kinsler deal. Farm system isn't deep, but can address a Tigers need with outfield prospects such as Jo Adell, Jahmai Jones and Brandon Marsh.

From the Tigers MLB.com beat writer. If that is indeed the asking price, that's a firm no for me, and that's exactly why I'm advocating that we keep an open mind in terms of where else we could improve, such as RF or SP, if we are being asked on our top prospects. If we need to fill a void by trading significant prospects, there may be different targets.

Jason Beck is high if he thinks that fair for Kinsler....anyone of those guys.  I figure Balquin (sp?) straight up is a good deal.