• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Contrasts...

It's been an interesting couple of weeks of constant speculation and hand winging in some cases -- but now that it's done and all played out (and at the risk of being accused of kicking someone when they are down), I can't help but notice and appreciate the massive differences between how two organizations in direct competition with each other are working towards their goals...

This was out BEFORE the Ohtani signing....   So, before the entire thing blew up in the M's faces..

http://www.ussmariner.com/2017/12/08/mariners-acquire-dee-gordon-to-play-cf-are-you-not-entertained-shohei-ohtani/

There’s an overarching issue here, I think, that makes me skeptical of the moves we’ve seen so far. Last year, the M’s ranked 5th in walk rate in the AL West, which has 5 teams. They ranked 4th in ISO, and 5th in baserunning runs. The M’s divisional rivals are improving on the offensive side of the ball, and meanwhile, the M’s project as an offense that will be *worse* in on base percentage/walk rate and *worse* in slugging. 144 players qualified for the batting title last year. Of these, Ryon Healy ranked 140th in walk rate. One spot behind him, in 141st, is Dee Gordon. Now, the M’s figure to strike out less, and that’s great, but the M’s have spent the past two years getting absolutely flattened by the home run explosion and how it’s changed the game. This year, the M’s are trying to build a team around balls in play. The M’s tried last year to build a great pitching staff around the idea that you could run a really low BABIP with great OF defenders. They did it, and watched it come to nothing thanks to a flood of dingers. This year, the M’s appear to be betting that with Gordon, Segura and Gamel, they can run a freakishly HIGH offensive BABIP. If league HR rates stay where they are, the same problem may occur: the M’s will have a high average and lots of base hits, but as many or fewer runs than plodding teams like Oakland who’ll rely on the three true outcomes.

Keep in mind, Jerry went to great lengths upon taking the job in Seattle to talk up the importance of controlling the count and getting on base -- it was gonna be their big thing and they even went so far as to give the campaign a name -- "Control the Zone", but true to JD fashion.. the first step in implementing the plan was to part ways with the guy who had developed the program ... former (and now current Angel), Jack Howell.   Not only was it hilarious to see him prancing around talking up someone else's work, but he actually cut the guy who had put it together loose..  

Still -- the premise behind "control the zone" was spot on....  so what do the Ms do with their first two moves of the offseason??  Trade for two guys who are among the absolute worst in MLB at actually controlling the zone....   Is anyone really shocked?   As we saw in Anaheim, JD says one thing, does the complete opposite and then puts on that shit eating grin and talks up how great whatever it is he's doing now is.   The dude isn't stupid, he can spot a good idea and talk up it's merits but he consistently shows himself incapable of putting together a long term plan or any idea how to implement it....  One minute he's trading for prospects to obtain yet another guy, the next minute he's DFAing or trading away the guys he made moves to get.   First it's FIP, then it's OF BABIP prevention, now his new kick is positional flexibility and beating BABIP...   The dude is always trying to come up with the next big innovation while never perfecting the one he's working on -- it borders on insanity..   Compare the schizophrenic way JD jumps around to the methodical way Eppler has gone about pursuing his master plan -- the concerted effort to add talent to the organization from the ground up and add players that fit his particular blueprint..  namely defense.   Night and Day doesn't even begin to describe it.

The Ohtani thing was just another in a long line of differences ..   JD couldn't walk into a room without looking for someone holding a microphone -- he had been on a Hollywood-like press junket in the weeks leading up to the posting telling anyone and everyone on every possible media venue what his plan was, how much time and effort they put into their presentation, and how awesome it was gonna be -- "Pulling out the Big Guns"...   Meanwhile I think the most we heard out of Eppler was the confirmation that the 1Mil obtained in the Johnson trade was for the Ohtani chase..   Yes, he praised the player and yes, he talked about how big it would be for ANY team to sign him, but compared to the all out onslaught by Dipoto the Angels' efforts seemed downright muted.

IMO, one of the greatest days in Angels history was the day JD rage quit...   I can't even begin to imagine how bad things could be right now had he not chosen to bail...   Instead, I find myself finding it hard to believe that so much has gone right in the short time since he's been gone -- even with the massive bad luck as it relates to pitching injuries...  The organization seems so much healthier top to bottom ... and it's pretty evident that Eppler is always working on his master plan.... even as they chased the biggest upgrade on the open market, Epp managed to make moves to improve the farm system.   It's like he noticed everyone was fixating on Ohtani so, he snuck an end around and swung deals for Maitain and Soto -- Absolutely priceless...

Eppler has a lot of work to to still but, I find myself not worrying about the path he ultimately will take to get us there...   Eppy has a plan and he is never not working....

Thanks, Jerry!

Eppler has been golden and we haven’t really seen him pull out his checkbook yet. It’s crazy that he got Ohtani while having to outmaneuver Dipoto and his old boss Cashman to get it done. The past few days have been incredible. Eppler singlehandedly forced Dipoto and Cashman to overpay on deals they weren’t planning on. 

1 minute ago, OHTANILAND said:

Eppler has been golden and we haven’t really seen him pull out his checkbook yet. It’s crazy that he got Ohtani while having to outmaneuver Dipoto and his old boss Cashman to get it done. The past few days have been incredible. Eppler singlehandedly forced Dipoto and Cashman to overpay on deals they weren’t planning on. 

I don't think the Stanton trade is an overpay. I just think they are taking advantage of the Marlins desperation to get rid of the money. What is interesting is that this takes them out of the Harper derby next year.  

31 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I don't think the Stanton trade is an overpay. I just think they are taking advantage of the Marlins desperation to get rid of the money. What is interesting is that this takes them out of the Harper derby next year.  

Well it was definitely a reactionary move caused by the shock of missing out on Ohtani. If Ohtani had signed with the Yankees the Stanton trade doesn’t happen. The Yankees weren’t planning on spending that much money this offseason so it’s an unplanned overpay for them.