• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

6 Man Rotation

eaterfan

6 Man Rotation  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Angels employ a 6 man rotation next season?

• Yes
    • No

Ohtani pitched in a 6 man rotation in Japan. The Angels have had a bunch of pitchers injured. There is talk of moving to a 6 man rotation. Do you favor it?

Pros:

• Makes Ohtani transition easier
  • Gives Ohtani more chances to hit
  • Keeps pitchers healthy? Is there evidence that more rest will help?
  • Keeps pitchers fresh (maybe better stuff)

Cons:

• Richards and Ohtani see their starts reduced from 20% of starts each to about 16.5% of starts each. 
  • A guy like Tropaeno goes from 0% of scheduled starts to 16.5%
  • If someone gets injured then the 7th starter has to be sprung into action
  • Fewer spots on bench/bullpen
  • Going to a 4 man rotation in the playoffs will be a big adjustment

Would you do it?

Definitely not. All the starting pitchers are already conditioned and used to doing 5 man rotations. Pitching after extended rest can be just as detrimental as pitching on short rest.  Since they started in the minor leagues they have been a part of a 5 man rotation. 

I’d be more in favor of inning limits for Ohtani before I’d be in favor of a 6 man rotation. 

I would say yes to 6 man rotation, because it only essentially reduces the starts by 6 or 7 each. The only players that have pitched more than 30 starts in the last three seasons have been, Ricky Nolasco in 2017, Weaver in 2016, Richards and Santiago in 2015.

I'd love to have 33 starts out of Ohtani and RIchards and even Shoemaker, but none of those guys frequently have been able to do it. I think with all the problems they've had with injuries, giving the front line 6 guys 27 starts each is the way to go. Even if it's just for 2018.

Richards, Ohtani, Shoemaker, Ramirez, Heaney, Skaggs, Bridwell, and Tropeano is 8 options.

I think going with a 6th man rotation forces the team to not have Cron on the 25 man.

6 SPs

7 RPs (Angels were 8th in IP by the pen last year. I don't think a 6 man pen is reasonable)

That leaves 12 spots for position players. And a 3 man bench. I'm assuming we have a second and third baseman. 

1 bench spot for a catcher

1 for an outfielder

1 for a middle infielder

We don't have a back up corner infielder/dh unless Valbuena is penciled in as the starter in the 1B/DH roll when Ohtani pitches. 

Trade Cron for someone’s 2B prospect?

Sign Nunez for 3B and then Valbuena focuses on 1B/DH, helping Pujols and Ohtani.

You would still essentially have 4 subs, as Ohtani is both a starting pitcher and a DH.   They can still carry 7 relievers with the 6 starters.

Four subs are: Perez, Cowart, Ohtani, and 4th OF.

47 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I think going with a 6th man rotation forces the team to not have Cron on the 25 man.

6 SPs

7 RPs (Angels were 8th in IP by the pen last year. I don't think a 6 man pen is reasonable)

That leaves 12 spots for position players. And a 3 man bench. I'm assuming we have a second and third baseman. 

1 bench spot for a catcher

1 for an outfielder

1 for a middle infielder

We don't have a back up corner infielder/dh unless Valbuena is penciled in as the starter in the 1B/DH roll when Ohtani pitches. 

We need to have someone capable with the glove at first.