• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greatest Catch Ever?

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

GOAT.... Edmonds, period, end discussion :)  
This was awesome though, not taking anything away from that but Edmonds laying out was even better than Mays 

Except Mays did it in a WS game, where there's no kind of pressure or national media spotlight or anything major like a meaningless mid-summer game in KC, the media capital of the world.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

Except Mays did it in a WS game, where there's no kind of pressure or national media spotlight or anything major like a meaningless mid-summer game in KC, the media capital of the world.

The context doesnt change the play or the ability it took to make it.  Put the 2 side by side without context, Edmonds catch was better, Mays may have been more clutch.  Oh wait are we still not allowed to say that here? :)   

Just now, floplag said:

The context doesnt change the play or the ability it took to make it.  Put the 2 side by side without context, Edmonds catch was better, Mays may have been more clutch.  Oh wait are we still not allowed to say that here? :)   

That's it, flop. I challenge you to a duel!

Looking for significant, great catches? How about Al Simmons, who ran down Lou Gehrig's attempt at a 5th home run of the day, making what has been described in contemporary news accounts as a "spectacular" grab, a couple feet shy of the 468-foot center field fence at Shibe Park in Philadelphia, on June 3, 1932. No photos or video of that moment exist to my knowledge, and I've spent some time looking for them. So we can only speculate. If he doesn't catch it, an inside-the-park HR perhaps? Or over the wall?

Edited by fan_since79

It was a great catch, no doubt...but I'm not sure it would be any better than what Trout did in Baltimore which was done at a full sprint, higher leap, and a much higher wall. 

I think we can all hold our breath though and hope it's not a sign of our next "big splash" signing.

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

On a related point, how do you get the Youtube videos to post directly? All I can do is supply the link.

Like red said, you have to pull it from youtubes page itself, cant do it from the youtube app.

Thank god, or @Tank would be posting iron eagle video clips all day.

5 minutes ago, red321 said:

It was a great catch, no doubt...but I'm not sure it would be any better than what Trout did in Baltimore which was done at a full sprint, higher leap, and a much higher wall. 

I think we can all hold our breath though and hope it's not a sign of our next "big splash" signing.

30 years old and 2017 numbers considerably better than career averages.

.901 OPS compared to pre-2017 average of .728

Free agent after this year.

Outfielder.

Yep, he's coming here! Book it.

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was thinking the same. I cant say it should or shouldnt...but i can see an argument of why the ball could be judged a home run.

The implication is that if the outfielder were to position himself in the bullpen, and catch a ball hit an extra 20-30 feet in... or dare I say it, in the bleachers, it would still be an out.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Nice play but... it shouldn't be an out if you can't land on your feet in fair territory.

I was wondering about that. Otherwise, why couldn't he jump over the short fence and then catch it? Or is the rule you have to start the "jump" in fair territory?

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The implication is that if the outfielder were to position himself in the bullpen, and catch a ball hit an extra 20-30 feet in... or dare I say it, in the bleachers, it would still be an out.

Exactly the scenario i was thinking. Ive wondered before whats to stop a guy from doing it.

I remember ichiro robbing GA once. Ichiro climbed the wall and kind of held there, kind of sat for a few seconds. Its a clean out, but almost seemed like there would be a rule against it.

2 minutes ago, red321 said:

I was wondering about that. Otherwise, why couldn't he jump over the short fence and then catch it? Or is the rule you have to start the "jump" in fair territory?

Youd think there would be a rule against it. There likely isnt. But its funny that you can do it, but get called out for running roo far out of the basepath