• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Target: Gerrit Cole

Tyler

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/trade-candidate-gerrit-cole.html

The Pirates’ window with Cole is running out (he’s controllable via arbitration through 2019), and as a low-payroll outfit, odds are the team won’t be able to keep the Scott Boras client from hitting free agency if it elects against trading him in the coming years.

Gerrit Cole

The problem for the Pirates, both from a contending standpoint and for Cole’s trade value, is that the 26-year-old has taken steps backward since his earlier days in the league.

I would literally trade them all in the farm for him. Thaiss, Jones, Ward, whatever...

I've wondered about a way to get Cole for a couple years now and sort of saw him being a come out of nowhere pitching acquisition like Haren, Kazmir, and Greinke were, but I still can't see a way we could get him. I don't even think aside from Trout or Simmons anyone would even strike their interest. We just don't match up.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I've wondered about a way to get Cole for a couple years now and sort of saw him being a come out of nowhere pitching acquisition like Haren, Kazmir, and Greinke were, but I still can't see a way we could get him. I don't even think aside from Trout or Simmons anyone would even strike their interest. We just don't match up.

When we traded for Haren, the value at the time was actually a solid package. Saunders was a controllable #4 starter that would give you 180 innings a year, Skaggs was a future staff ace, Corbin a future mid rotation starter  and Rodriguez a major Defoe reliever with options.

We don't have a comp for that now, but if I had to build one, I think you're looking at something crazy like Matt Shoemaker, Jahmai Jones, Jaime Barria and Brooks Pounders. 

2 hours ago, TroutField said:

Our minor league system is finally coming back around so throw it all away on one pitcher? 

Especially because no pitcher can stay healthy on the Angels 

No freaking way. 

No,  it's not. We'd go from the 3rd worst system to the worst. Worth it for Cole.

35 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You neglect the financial investment which puts the Angels right back into the same situation of two years ago. An incomplete team with too much payroll tied up in a couple of players and no farm system to feed the parent club with talent and another 3-5 year wait for that to normalize. 

A lot of money coming off the books in the near seasons.

5 minutes ago, ukyah said:

here's a tip, and it's just the tip so it won't hurt that much, leading with an, "my iq is higher than yours" is not a good look for you.

I put as much effort into that post as you did your first one in this thread. You want a discussion, try something better than just disregarding everything written. If you don't want a discussion, don't insult my intelligence and just stay out of the thread.

8 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Eppler has a knack for finding good arms but not bats. So we trade all our minor league bats for an expensive arm? Doesn't make sense

I wonder if it might be because teams are more likely to error on releasing a pitcher too early than a hitter? 

17 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Eppler has a knack for finding good arms but not bats. So we trade all our minor league bats for an expensive arm? Doesn't make sense

6 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I wonder if it might be because teams are more likely to error on releasing a pitcher too early than a hitter? 

He has been good with pitchers but can't seem to duplicate that with position players.....Not always the case (Escobar) but he seems (perhaps) to overvalue defense ---with Espinosa being the poster boy there.....Valbuena looks like an awful signing right now....I guess Simmons and Maldanado were good pick ups....Maybin may still be...

1 hour ago, OregonLAA said:

We have a draft coming up to restock the lower minor league levels, none of these bats are close. What is close is Cole's contributions and FA where we can sign bats with $$$. 

I would trade Matt Thaiss and a lower level prospect arm for Cole, but I would like to focus on trading for near bats that can provide some thump to our lineup sometime in the Angels Trout era. 

Derek Fisher, Scott Kingery, Christine Stewart, Michael Chavis, Ian Happ, Chris Shaw, Jesse Winker, Austin Meadows, Bradley Zimmer, Lewis Brinson, Ronald Acuna, etc. etc. 

9 hours ago, Tyler said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/trade-candidate-gerrit-cole.html

I would literally trade them all in the farm for him. Thaiss, Jones, Ward, whatever...

We are slipping out of contention fast and he won't help us this season in all likelihood so trading for him at the deadline will not only be extra pricey but will do nothing for our season in 2017. There are other teams with a lot more prospect capital that we have ready to pounce on him. It is extremely low probability that we would want or could acquire him (think like less than 1%, a perfect alignment of Pirates needs to our offerings).

17 minutes ago, ettin said:

We are slipping out of contention fast and he won't help us this season in all likelihood so trading for him at the deadline will not only be extra pricey but will do nothing for our season in 2017. There are other teams with a lot more prospect capital that we have ready to pounce on him. It is extremely low probability that we would want or could acquire him (think like less than 1%, a perfect alignment of Pirates needs to our offerings).

I can accept that we don't have enough to acquire him, however, I think it is important to build an attractive destination that FA hitters will want to come to. Cole would be a great start for an aceless team.

4 hours ago, Tyler said:

I put as much effort into that post as you did your first one in this thread. You want a discussion, try something better than just disregarding everything written. If you don't want a discussion, don't insult my intelligence and just stay out of the thread.

you brought this on yourself.

long inhale:

you would trade all of our farm players for gerrit cole, not "any" of them, "all" of them.  a player who has regressed the last two years, while only being in the league for a portion of 5 years.

you would send our farm back to the dark ages, where it was 50 feet of shit worse than the next to last farm system. the angels may or may not be the "3rd worst" system in baseball, but they're literally years ahead of where they were a few years ago. you want to do that for gerrit cole, a player who has regressed for two straight years out of a total of 5.

you want to decimate our farm system for a regressing player who hits FA one year after this and is represented by scott boras. an agent who takes nearly all his clients to the open market and whom the angels historically have a rockier relationship than they do with their CF batter's eye.

so, we trade for him and we get the honor of having no farm system, a regressing one time all star, and we lose him after 2018.

there is one good thing, at least he doesn't have an injury history. oh wait.

btw, i'm just having fun here. nothing we say, no matter what, means bo diddly.

11 minutes ago, ukyah said:

you brought this on yourself.

long inhale:

you would trade all of our farm players for gerrit cole, not "any" of them, "all" of them.  a player who has regressed the last two years, while only being in the league for a portion of 5 years.

you would send our farm back to the dark ages, where it was 50 feet of shit worse than the next to last farm system. the angels may or may not be the "3rd worst" system in baseball, but they're literally years ahead of where they were a few years ago. you want to do that for gerrit cole, a player who has regressed for two straight years out of a total of 5.

you want to decimate our farm system for a regressing player who hits FA one year after this and is represented by scott boras. an agent who takes nearly all his clients to the open market and whom the angels historically have a rockier relationship than they do with their CF batter's eye.

so, we trade for him and we get the honor of having no farm system, a regressing one time all star, and we lose him after 2018.

there is one good thing, at least he doesn't have an injury history. oh wait.

btw, i'm just having fun here. nothing we say, no matter what, means bo diddly.

This is true, so no need to be disrespectful like you were in your original post.

Anyways, perhaps this is where you are misunderstood. Cole has two more years of arb eligible seasons and wouldn't be a FA until 2020. 

Our farm system sucks and the 'top' guys we do have would barely show up Top 10 of any other organization. Setting our farm system back, is literally, the equivalent of going to 29th worst to 30th. Big deal. Nothing will change until Swanson has a couple of drafts under his belt.