• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Unusual Baseball Stories and Classic Games

I had never heard of this guy until stumbling upon his name a couple weeks ago while looking for something else.

One of the greatest months ever for a pitcher, in the midst of a tense pennant race, then soon after back to obscurity.

brj-2010-summer-028.jpg

http://www.baseballroundtable.com/cleveland-indians-duster-mails-he-promised-he-delivered/

Edited by fan_since79

Brooklyn will be lucky to get a foul off me today. If Spoke [Cleveland player-manager Tris Speaker] and the boys will give me one run, Cleveland will win.” — Cleveland pitcher Duster Mails

He shut out Brooklyn 1-0 on a three-hitter. Game Six of the 1920 World Series.

“All I can say about Walter Mails is that he is a wonderful pitcher,” said Speaker. “I do not know of a better left-hander in the business. His fastball is something that no hitter can fool with. He has been a great find for us and will be one of our best pitchers next season. It was a tough spot he was in this afternoon, the toughest of the Series and yet he came through. He was given the acid test if ever a young player was and proved 18 carats fine.”

http://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/october-11-1920-duster-mails-shuts-out-brooklyn-bring-cleveland-verge-championship

Edited by fan_since79

One of the oddest characters to play the game was former pitcher Bill Faul, A product of the University of Cincinnati, which a few years earlier had produced Sandy Koufax, Faul was nothing like that. Faul was branded a "flake", in the terminology of the time. Originally with the Detroit Tigers, he had talent but suffered from lapses in concentration, which ended up with balls in the stands. He consulted a hypnotist, who said that he could help him with keeping his curveball down. Faul eventually became a hypnotist himself, and he put himself into hypnotic trances before starts (I remember a Sports Illustrated article in the 1960s, written when Faul was pitching for the Chicago Cubs, that talked about his "hypnotist pitch"). In 1965 the Cubs turned three triple plays - all with Faul pitching.

Whatever became of Bill Faul, anyway?

Bill%20Faul1962.jpg

September 28, 1951. Allie Reynolds throws his second no-hitter of the season to help the Yankees clinch at least a tie for the pennant. Yogi Berra drops a routine fly off the bat of Ted Williams behind the plate which would have been the final out. On the very next pitch Reynolds gets Williams to hit another pop up which Berra holds on to this time, preserving the no hitter.

http://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/september-28-1951-allie-reynolds-throws-his-second-no-hitter-season

Ever wonder how the Pirates got their name?

On May 23rd, 1890, the Pittsburg Alleghenys and the New York Giants set the MLB record for most Stolen Bases in a single game with the Giants at 17 and the Alleghenys with 3. The Pittsburg Alleghenys lost the game with a score of 17 to 10 and would later finish their worst season to date with a record of 113 losses and only 23 wins,

Between the 1890 and 1891 seasons, the president of the Alleghenys snatched up a player for Philadelphia whose name had been left off that team’s roster. The player, (2nd baseman Louis Bierbauer) was offered, and accepted, a contract with the Alleghenys. Others called the president’s actions unethical, saying he had taken advantage of a clerical error. A spokesman for the American Association, which owned the Philadelphia team, said: “The action of the Pittsburgh Club is Piratical!” The president was labeled a “pirate” and the nickname stuck. From the 1891 season on, the Pittsburgh Alleghenys became known as the Pittsburgh Pirates.

https://www.facebook.com/OddPittsburgh/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

On 5/16/2017 at 0:23 PM, fan_since79 said:

May 16, 1902.

William "Dummy" Hoy of the Cincinnati Reds, the first deaf MLB player, faces Luther "Dummy" Taylor, a pitcher for the New York Giants who is also deaf. I believe it's the only time that's ever happened in the majors.

Dummy_Hoy.jpg

Half of the Angels players look like they are vision impaired at the plate, does that count?

• 1 month later...

On this date, 120 years ago. Most runs scored by a team in a major league game. Cap Anson had only one hit for the Cubs.

At that time, the home team had the option of hitting first, and Chicago elected to do so. Leading by 21 runs in the ninth, they scored eight more.

19598751_10213275774031331_9168387257088

Edited by fan_since79

On 5/16/2017 at 0:23 PM, fan_since79 said:

May 16, 1902.

William "Dummy" Hoy of the Cincinnati Reds, the first deaf MLB player, faces Luther "Dummy" Taylor, a pitcher for the New York Giants who is also deaf. I believe it's the only time that's ever happened in the majors.

Dummy_Hoy.jpg

Remember when you could nickname a guy "Dummy" his whole life because he can't hear? Political correctness has gone mad, I tell ya.

The 20-inning marathon was the second game of a doubleheader that 4th of July day in 1905.

A's catcher Ossee Schrecongost (how's that for a baseball name!) caught all 29 innings that day, an all-time major league record. He also went by the name of Osee Schreck.

Ossee%20Schreckengost.jpg

Edited by fan_since79