• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nolasco reminds me of. . .

Either you get the point or you don't.  It's a significant point.  The Angels and Mike Scioscia lame comments on Nolasco going into the season were basically insulting to those living in reality.  It's Ricky Nolasco.  Are you or are you not going to keep eating meatloaf they try to sell you as prime steak?

But it is also our fault as fans (generally speaking) for continuing to trust/ believe what he and the front office says.  I meant at this point, can we really trust anything Sciascia says? "Right bicep tightness" "Day to day" "had good swings" "showing improvement" "did a fantastic job", the list goes on.

He has had one bad outing this season that has skewed his stats. Outside of that he has given up a total of 8 runs over the other 4 games. Maybe you are not seeing the forest from the one tree.

Or maybe you're just in a mood. Nolasco isn't an ace but he was never traded for to be an ace, it was a swap for Santiago which also bought Alex Meyer. As a mid rotation guy he is fine.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

He has had one bad outing this season that has skewed his stats. Outside of that he has given up a total of 8 runs over the other 4 games. Maybe you are not seeing the forest from the one tree.

Or maybe you're just in a mood. Nolasco isn't an ace but he was never traded for to be an ace, it was a swap for Santiago which also bought Alex Meyer. As a mid rotation guy he is fine.

Fair.  I am in a mood so I plead guilty.  I am tired of Angel rosters that never seem to focus on frontline starting pitching.  I have never understood a pursuit for "depth" (where you have like 7 guys you could r7n out there all equal to #3 or worse ability) versus being hellbent on having two aces and build around that.

So when I watch this current parade of bodies I would never even want to sniff the mound in a poatseason series, I am "down on the team" and "in a mood".

I'm 100% guilty of that.

36 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Hey this Ricky Nolasco, the guy the Angels have promoted as the anchor of the staff, with his 4.68 era very much reminds me of a guy I remember named Ricky Nolasco.

Go figure.  Shocker.

Promoted, awesome.  He's healthy and he's started each time his spot has come up.  Would you call him the promoted anchor of the staff if Richards started game one and left in the fifth inning?  

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

So when I watch this current parade of bodies I would never even want to sniff the mound in a poatseason series, I am "down on the team" and "in a mood".

I'm 100% guilty of that.

You won't have to worry about them sifting the mound in a post-seaton series because they aren't good enough to ever make it there. Sort of a reverse catch-22 if you will. 

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Fair.  I am in a mood so I plead guilty.  I am tired of Angel rosters that never seem to focus on frontline starting pitching.  I have never understood a pursuit for "depth" (where you have like 7 guys you could r7n out there all equal to #3 or worse ability) versus being hellbent on having two aces and build around that.

I'm 100% guilty of that.

The Angels have focused on front of the line starting pitching.  Weaver was a very good starter until the last few years.  They traded for Haren at a time he was very good.  They traded for Greinke when he was very good.  CJ was considered a good pitcher when acquired.  This all happened in the last five or six years.  We don't have the pieces to go get a Chris Sale.  Would you have wanted them to sign Greinke for what he got last year or David Price?

Show me a roster recently where they were entering a season with two guys good enough to call top of the rotation guys.

Respectfully, citing rosters with Weaver makes my point.  Its been  LONG time since Weaver was ace matetial.

Or should we be feeling good since at one time we had Ryan and Tanana?

Today matters.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Show me a roster recently where they were entering a season with two guys good enough to call top of the rotation guys.

Respectfully, citing rosters with Weaver makes my point.  Its been  LONG time since Weaver was ace matetial.

Today matters.

Ok give me a realistic option, don't just complain about it.  You can't create one out of mid air.  So you can draft and develop one, which they tried with Richards but he can't stay healthy.  You can trade for one, like my Chris Sale comment you were responding too or you can sign one.  So who and how?  

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I'm 100% guilty of that.

Well, our frontline was pretty much blown to bits by injuries over the last two seasons. Not to make excuses but losing Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs, that is not a mediocre four in the rotation and would have been difference makers. That was the reason for pursuing depth, they had what should have been a solid core. But shit happens and then you have that entire payroll entanglement and the farm that was traded away by Dipoto for nothing of real value and you have where we are.

I would really like to have seen a Lackey/Weaver/Santana type core to chalk up wins and leave the other two slots for whoever is league average but that's just not panning out right now. Pretty disappointing that they are all a Rehab stint away from ever seeing a mound and Richards and Skaggs just may not for the rest of the season. We are in the Mets situation, they have good pitchers but all on the DL.

Not sure how this gets resolved, buying pitchers is just as volatile as home grown when it comes to them breaking down so how do you really fill all those holes?

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Today matters.

Weaver was pretty good in 2014 and very good in 2013.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok give me a realistic option, don't just complain about it.  You can't create one out of mid air.  So you can draft and develop one, which they tried with Richards but he can't stay healthy.  You can trade for one, like my Chris Sale comment you were responding too or you can sign one.  So who and how?  

Just now, fan_since79 said:

Every time we have these discussions the question remains...why the hell are pitchers getting hurt at such a rate and disappearing for months or years at a time?!

There's something fundamentally wrong here. But I suppose that's a topic for another thread.

It's also topic for a lot of organizations.  This isn't an Angel thing it's an MLB thing. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Who and how is a fair question.  Let me ask you a number of fair questions.

Were the Angels foolish to (looks to me like) be overly optimistic on being able to count on Richards?

How about what seemed like a plan that had Shoemaker beimg better than he is?

How do you feel about using tradable pieces to acquire a Ricky Nolasco instead of patience or creativity to get a better player?

I'm frustrated thus team had too many potential #4 starters that never had a chance in the real world of being the answer.

It's a fair frustration.

I loved the Heaney trade.  All my complaining might not be consuming me if he was out there dealing.

It's just gross frustration.  The one thing I can't stomach is a starting staff that is overmatched 4 out of 5 nights.

And that's what I see right now with not much evidence of it changing.

I'm ok with Nolasco and Meyer for Hector.  Santiago was not a good pitcher.  He's off to a good start but we've seen that from him too.  As far as the other questions about Richards and Shoe, does it matter?  At the end of the day if they aren't healthy or can't perform it comes back to the questions I asked you and you haven't answered.  Who and how to replace them with better options.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I'm ok with Nolasco and Meyer for Hector.  Santiago was not a good pitcher.  He's off to a good start but we've seen that from him too.  As far as the other questions about Richards and Shoe, does it matter?  At the end of the day if they aren't healthy or can't perform it comes back to the questions I asked you and you haven't answered.  Who and how to replace them with better options.  

Hindsight and all that but Miranda (who we could have had for Santiago) has looked pretty good so far.  Not sure he'll ever be great but he could be a longer term solution than Nolasco.....Obviously Meyer was and still is the wild card in the trade....even if it's in the bullpen, he could make the trade a winner...Right now, on May 8, 2017, I'd probably rather have Miranda than Nolasco and Meyer.....but that is subject to change and it is certainly hindsight...