• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

St. Louis Dispatch: Wong Doesn't Want To Platoon

ettin

This could be an opportunity if the Cardinals don't want to deal with this situation anymore: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/wong-would-rather-be-traded-than-platoon-at-second-base/article_9d03dd0f-b604-5be7-8a44-0287814094da.html

Kolten is a quality defender at 2B and even played a sprinkling of games at all three OF positions in 2016.

The funny thing is, though, that Wong has failed to produce against LHP so the idea that the Cardinals want to platoon him isn't a decision they made in a vacuum, Kolten hasn't performed well in his career against them.

Wong is controlled through the 2020 season at an approximate $5MM AAV with a 2021 team option for $12.5M (w/a $1M buyout) so his contract is very team friendly.

Angelswin.com mentioned Kolten as a possible trade target in the Primer Series this offseason:

Also Chris Cotillo reported the Angels inquiring on Wong back in early December of last year:

If Kolten really is unhappy and the Cardinals are growing weary of his complaints this could be a buy opportunity for the Angels. Of course we would have to make room for him and I'm not sure we have the space nor do we have a full time playing opportunity for Kolten unless we make another move (trading Escobar for instance).

Ultimately this might still turn out to be an opportunity later in the year or next offseason. Wong still needs to show he can hit better against LHP or else he will force teams to platoon him to avoid the drop in production.

Danny Espinosa complained about his playing time and the Angels got him relatively cheap. This is also something that doesn't have to happen now either but the Angels did show some level of interest and if the price is right, the Angels should consider action whether now or later. Also TD most teams have played their hands one week before the season starts. When opportunity knocks you should at least ask who's behind the door.

11 minutes ago, ettin said:

Danny Espinosa complained about his playing time and the Angels got him relatively cheap. This is also something that doesn't have to happen now either but the Angels did show some level of interest and if the price is right, the Angels should consider action whether now or later. Also TD most teams have played their hands one week before the season starts. When opportunity knocks you should at least ask who's behind the door.

Totally agree 

49 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Another deal with St. Louis. What could possibly go wrong?

45 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

fixed

yeah, i don't know how he missed that one. that pun wrote itself.

on the subject, i'd be down for acquiring him on the relative cheap. escobar would have to be the odd man out. an infield of espinoza, simmons, wong, cron/valbuena/pujols is nice enough.

6 minutes ago, ukyah said:

yeah, i don't know how he missed that one. that pun wrote itself.

on the subject, i'd be down for acquiring him on the relative cheap. escobar would have to be the odd man out. an infield of espinoza, simmons, wong, cron/valbuena/pujols is nice enough.

I think TD kinda alluded to the fact that we may have already over committed with other moves. I think our cards are on the table for now.

43 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Not a fan of Wong.  

nothing wrong with those who like Wong.  

But I pass on wong.  

I'd actually prefer Cesar Hernandez or perhaps Greg Garcia or T.J. Rivera. There are other better choices but if the price is right the Angels could absorb his athleticism and versatility I think with that cheap contract.

12 hours ago, ettin said:

I'd actually prefer Cesar Hernandez or perhaps Greg Garcia or T.J. Rivera. There are other better choices but if the price is right the Angels could absorb his athleticism and versatility I think with that cheap contract.

Angels can't offer him what he's looking for ... Wong's contract is back-end loaded.