• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Re: Marte/Cron/Valbuena

Chuck

So it looks like Pujols is healthy and will be the full-time DH at the start of the season. 

With the spring that Cron, Marte and Valbuena have had, I wonder if the Angels are looking at a potential trade to offload Escobar so they can play Cron at 1B and platoon Valbuena and Marte at 3B? 

I think a platoon of those guys at 3B over Escobar, plus a platoon in LF with Revere and Maybin could maximize the most production of the players on the roster. 

BTW... Cron has looked good defensively at 1B this spring. 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So it looks like Pujols is healthy and will be the full-time DH at the start of the season. 

With the spring that Cron, Marte and Valbuena have had, I wonder if the Angels are looking at a potential trade to offload Escobar so they can play Cron at 1B and platoon Valbuena and Marte at 3B? 

I think a platoon of those guys at 3B over Escobar, plus a platoon in LF with Revere and Maybin could maximize the most production of the players on the roster. 

Thoughts?

Good post/topic.

I think this is one of the better problems we have had in a long time.   Marte, Cron, Valbuena, are all good enough to merit a starting gig.   Given Escobar's defensive shortcomings and lack of pop -- he's likely less valuable than any of those guys.   At the same time, it's hard to dismiss the OBP he gave them at the top of the order last year...

While it's hard to make calls based on ST results but you have to wonder if the Angels regret taking on Escobar's option year.

It's a shame Valbuena apparently can't cover 2B beyond an emergency scenario anymore.  The real big question right now is whether or not we have room on the roster for all of these guys. The game has a way of finding playing time for everyone, but it doesn't always have a roster spot, especially with how it appears we will be handling the pitching staff this year (I would expect them to take an extra pitcher).

42 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Good post/topic.

I think this is one of the better problems we have had in a long time.   Marte, Cron, Valbuena, are all good enough to merit a starting gig.   Given Escobar's defensive shortcomings and lack of pop -- he's likely less valuable than any of those guys.   At the same time, it's hard to dismiss the OBP he gave them at the top of the order last year...

While it's hard to make calls based on ST results but you have to wonder if the Angels regret taking on Escobar's option year.

This ^^^^

Escobar has a unique skill set in the batter's box. He makes a lot of contact and hits a lot of singles and doubles plus he's able to take a walk as others said above.

I have been so busy I haven't released my next to last Primer article which is about roster construction. In that article I talk about Yunel's value and he would make an ideal #2 or #3 hitter with our current mix of hitters. Of course you could probably replicate some of that skill set with other hitters so if the Angels have to trade or even jettison Escobar to get their best lineup then they have to do what they have to do.

Cron's surge here in ST is making this a developing situation for the team to put the best 25 players on the field and in the end that, as IP said, is a very good problem to have. I don't envy the decisions that Scioscia and Eppler will have to make in the lineup and the bullpen soon.

There's no clear or obvious answer at this point. All we know for certain is that, if healthy, Pujols is the regular DH. That leaves four players for two spots, which is clearly unnecessary. As Scotty said, the most likely short-term solution is sending Marte to AAA. But even then that limits Escobar, Cron, and Valbuena to an average of two-thirds regular. The next obvious solution would be to ship Escobar for whatever the Angels can get, but that might be harder than we think. If they do that, Marte comes up and is the lesser spoke in a three-player platoon at 3B/1B. I also wouldn't be totally surprised if the Angels trade Marte, who might have more value than Escobar.

14 minutes ago, ettin said:

This ^^^^

Escobar has a unique skill set in the batter's box. He makes a lot of contact and hits a lot of singles and doubles plus he's able to take a walk as others said above.

I have been so busy I haven't released my next to last Primer article which is about roster construction. In that article I talk about Yunel's value and he would make an ideal #2 or #3 hitter with our current mix of hitters. Of course you could probably replicate some of that skill set with other hitters so if the Angels have to trade or even jettison Escobar to get their best lineup then they have to do what they have to do.

Cron's surge here in ST is making this a developing situation for the team to put the best 25 players on the field and in the end that, as IP said, is a very good problem to have. I don't envy the decisions that Scioscia and Eppler will have to make in the lineup and the bullpen soon.

You lost me Escobar being an ideal #3 hitter. . .

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

I don't think Escobar's trade value is what we'd like it to be. We might be able to get a couple of minor leaguers for him...

And I don't think anybody would pick up his entire 8 million in salary....a late spring injury to a 3bman might get something moving but don't see him going anywhere otherwise....

49 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You lost me Escobar being an ideal #3 hitter. . .

Well "the Book" indicates that the #2 spot should be your best hitter. The definition of your best hitter is open to a bit of interpretation: Does it mean your best wRC+ guy (Trout) or does it mean your best bat manipulator/contact guy (which is probably Trout too but Escobar fits that mold well)? The Book indicates that the #3 position does not have a lot of run producing opportunities which means putting Trout there may not be the best choice so someone like Yunel might actually be a better argument.

All that being said I believe that having someone like Maybin, Valbuena, or even Revere in leadoff with Escobar in the 2-slot and then Trout behind him represents the best possible run producing outcomes for Mike. Everything relies on excellent on-base ability if Mike is hitting 3rd so the two guys in front of him need to be high OBP guys.

If you buy into the idea that the #3 position is less productive from a run production perspective then putting Yunel there may be an attractive option. I personally am not on board with it as I prefer him at #2 but if I saw him at #3 I'd understand it to a degree.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

I think Valbuena was a mistake to begin with. We didn't really need him because we had other options. They should try to unload him but he will be tough to trade so soon. 

Whenever you can add a left-handed bat with pop that can play multiple positions for fairly cheap, it's never a mistake. 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Thoughts?

I think pitching makes or breaks this season.  I'd keep the players you mentioned to use as trading chips for pitchers as needs develop.  

It's just a guess but I think the Angels are shooting for 2018.  For that reason I would hold off trading players for now unless there is an offer they can't refuse.

At this point I'd hesitate parting with Ben Revere and Cameron Maybin especially.  Let's let the season evolve for now.  Escobar is a good hitting 3rd baseman if not defensively great.  We need offense and average defense to support the pitching. 

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

Reality check: Angels have no intention of trading Escobar at the moment. The FO didn't have to pick up his option unless they wanted too. The decision was discussed in great detail beforehand. 

Escobar more valuable to the team than Marte. 

For now, but long run there is no reason to keep Escobar beyond 2017, as he turns 35 in 2018 and is basically one dimensional.   

49 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not sure Escobar gets re-signed if Eppler knew he could get Valbuena.

Valbuena was a free agent ... of course they knew.

MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes forecast a two-year, $14MM deal for Valbuena entering the offseason. That still looks reasonable, but settling for less might be in the cards because so few teams look like clear matches for Valbuena.

traderumors

18 hours ago, ettin said:

Well "the Book" indicates that the #2 spot should be your best hitter. The definition of your best hitter is open to a bit of interpretation: Does it mean your best wRC+ guy (Trout) or does it mean your best bat manipulator/contact guy (which is probably Trout too but Escobar fits that mold well)? The Book indicates that the #3 position does not have a lot of run producing opportunities which means putting Trout there may not be the best choice so someone like Yunel might actually be a better argument.

All that being said I believe that having someone like Maybin, Valbuena, or even Revere in leadoff with Escobar in the 2-slot and then Trout behind him represents the best possible run producing outcomes for Mike. Everything relies on excellent on-base ability if Mike is hitting 3rd so the two guys in front of him need to be high OBP guys.

If you buy into the idea that the #3 position is less productive from a run production perspective then putting Yunel there may be an attractive option. I personally am not on board with it as I prefer him at #2 but if I saw him at #3 I'd understand it to a degree.

I appreciate your explanation.  My point was really more along the lines of. . .if your team has Escobar batting 3rd, your offensive lineup probably sucks.