• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sharing your faith is soon to be a crime in the military

So what if the person you spoke with wanted to know more?  What if they wanted to join you for a service?

Like I said, if they want to know more, I will tell them where they can find more information.There are a lot of websites with more information than I could possibly give on my own. If they want to attend a service, I will give them the time and location, and whether they go or not is up to them.

The key distinguishing factor, IMO, is whether the information is freely requested or simply pushed upon the persons in question whether they want it or not. I have no objection to information being presented, but if I have made it clear that I am not interested and the other party keeps pushing, then that crosses the line.

Baha'is talk to interested parties without pressure. The information is presented, then the individual decides on his or her own whether it is something they want to know more about. There is no aggressive proselytizing.

Fair enough.  I just don't know very many folks who would engage in what you are describing.  Mostly because it would be completely ineffective.  

It's a very small minority of Christians who would initiate "forced" talks about Christianity with others. Every sermon I've ever heard about evangelism has encouraged Christians to simply love those around them and share their faith if asked or prompted. The only ones Jesus ever called out for being wrong were the hypocritical religious elite. When he engaged with the non-religious, he simply hung out among them and loved them.

Many people have been burned by a joyless, forceful, legalistic religious type in their lives and so associate all of Christianity with the "turn or burn" crowd. My approach to evangelism is that you can never lead your enemies to Christ, only your friends. Shouting and finger-pointing tells someone they are your enemy. Being kind, patient, gentle, and loving shows someone that you are their friend.

Fair enough.

People can sue for anything, that doesn't mean there is any basis to the lawsuit.

Also in regard to seeing things being taken away, I often feel that evangelicals confuse not always getting their way with being oppressed.  Christianity is so overwhelmingly dominant in our society and in many ways overreaching into our laws and policy.  Some of that is being corrected.

It's really not all in our heads though:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/texas-teen-points-heavens-gets-4-100-relay-181303156.html

Here are a couple quick examples.  I am not going to spend a lot of time on this.  Christianity is a juggernaut in this country, the church is by far the most powerful entity in the US.  If you are denying that you are naive or delusional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardesty_Public_School_District

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219513/Atheist-schoolboy-11-banned-joining-Scouts-refuses-swear-duty-God.html

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/boy-scouts-will-not-employ-atheists-agnostics-known-or-avowe

http://digitaljournal.com/article/339708

For every one article like that I can show you 100 of people dealing with the same things for not acknowledging religion.  In the US, I realize other countries are far worse.

Come on nate, can't we find an understanding on this?  If crappy things are happening, it should stop, regardless of who is on either end of the crap.  Don't you think?

Come on nate, can't we find an understanding on this?  If crappy things are happening, it should stop, regardless of who is on either end of the crap.  Don't you think?

I agree 100%.  Just showing you that there isn't some huge march on Christianity happening in this country.  It is still very much the other way around.

Nate, two of those articles are about the Scouts, which is a private organization.

Is it your argument that private organizations don't have the right to choose their membership?

The first article is a good point.  That was completely wrong and should not have happened.

The last one, sorry, I can't get past the vitriol of the writer. 

I do not feel she is being denied her rights however I do feel she should have been allowed to post it, especially if pro Christian editorials are being put in the paper.

In my opinion editorials by students are fine, for or against religion.  If they are from a teacher or admin then I think that they should not be allowed, on either side.

As for the article you linked, what rights do you think that the student athlete was denied?  It was a celebration which is banned in the rules.  I think it is a stupid interpretation of the rule but it still wasn't a violation of any rights.

I agree.  I have rarely found some sort of religious motion to be obnoxious or offensive.  Many other celebrations I have though.

I also doubt the person that found them in violation of the rule did it as some sort of malice against religion or god.  More than likely just some miserable rules official that takes his job way too seriously.

• 8 years later...
On 5/5/2013 at 11:02 PM, Taylor said:

It's a very small minority of Christians who would initiate "forced" talks about Christianity with others. Every sermon I've ever heard about evangelism has encouraged Christians to simply love those around them and share their faith if asked or prompted. The only ones Jesus ever called out for being wrong were the hypocritical religious elite. When he engaged with the non-religious, he simply hung out among them and loved them.

Many people have been burned by a joyless, forceful, legalistic religious type in their lives and so associate all of Christianity with the "turn or burn" crowd. My approach to evangelism is that you can never lead your enemies to Christ, only your friends. Shouting and finger-pointing tells someone they are your enemy. Being kind, patient, gentle, and loving shows someone that you are their friend.

Lol Do you really believe this ? I don’t believe in forcing people at work to hear me preach. However, The Bible tells Christians to spread the word and it’s not dependent on someone asking you to do so. Jesus didnt  simply hang out with sinners. He certainly showed compassion but he preached the message of forgiveness and redemption. He also didn’t condone immorality and pander to sinners. They didn’t kill him because he was singing hippy songs, smoking weed,  and hanging out at the whore house. They killed him for preaching and living  Biblical standards that threatened the power of Jewish clergymen.