• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Give up your hidden gems for Spring Training in AZ

WeatherWonk

Hey guys, how about we get a discussion going about restaurants, bars and good deals on lodging you have found in the Phoenix area. I am going back for three days of baseball in early March and are always looking for recommendations. Been going about 12 years now,  and I got some great recommendations off the old Angels MLB site.

If it is a restaurant or bar, give us recommendations on signature dishes or drinks.

I'll start.

My favorite sports bar so far is Zips on Camelback. It's a really good place to view March Madness games, after watching baseball. Love their wings, burgers, beer and salads.

We always hit an Oregano's when we are there. Very popular, always a wait, but worth it. Really like their pizza and their signature salad. Very large portions. Several location in PHX but since we are usually based in Scottsdale, we hit the one in it's "new" location on Scottsdale Blvd, south of Camelback.

Best pizza, IMO, is at Grimaldi's. Several locations.

For breakfast, I prefer the Daily Dose over the Breakfast Club.

Can't miss the meat loaf at Citizen's Public House.

Not a fan of Charley's on Camelback, despite all the baseball memorabilia on the walls.

That's all for now. What YOU got???

Pizzeria Bianco.  One of the best pizzas in America.

Fried Chicken at Citizen Public House.  

At at this fancy place:  Virtu.  Pretty good, but hipsters taking pictures of their food.  Off putting.  

fnb is really good. 

Keith Law has a blog where he has done reviews of restaurants in the valley.  Pretty useful.  meadowparty.com

1 hour ago, halomatt said:

At at this fancy place:  Virtu.  Pretty good, but hipsters taking pictures of their food.  Off putting.  

fnb is really good. 

Keith Law has a blog where he has done reviews of restaurants in the valley.  Pretty useful.  meadowparty.com

Yep. Keith Law's list has some really good places on it.

http://republicaempanada.com/

I tried this place for empanadas and really liked it.

24 minutes ago, halomatt said:

fnb is really good. 

Thanks for the tip about Law's blog. Good read.

Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co. - way better than Four Peaks for both the beer and the food.

Pizzeria Bianco - it lives up to the hype.

The Farm at South Mountain is a cool place for lunch, especially with kids.

Hash Kitchen - in Scottsdale for breakfast/brunch. Creative food and a kick ass Bloody Mary bar.

Completely skip anything Mexican food wise in Phoenix if you grew up eating Mexican in California.

10 minutes ago, halodground said:

Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co. - way better than Four Peaks for both the beer and the food.

Pizzeria Bianco - it lives up to the hype.

The Farm at South Mountain is a cool place for lunch, especially with kids.

Hash Kitchen - in Scottsdale for breakfast/brunch. Creative food and a kick ass Bloody Mary bar.

Completely skip anything Mexican food wise in Phoenix if you grew up eating Mexican in California.

I was wondering about that last line. I love SoCal style Mexican food. My wife is from Colorado and it is WAY different. She has to have everything smothered in green chile. I've had to convince her that that isnt authentic Mexican;  it's "southwestern" or Tex-Mex or something. It is good, though. Just not on everything, especially burritos. Not a fan of wet burritos. Burritos are for picking up.

I'm considering Los Sombreros for Mexican, but it's clearly not authentic.

25 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I was wondering about that last line. I love SoCal style Mexican food. My wife is from Colorado and it is WAY different. She has to have everything smothered in green chile. I've had to convince her that that isnt authentic Mexican;  it's "southwestern" or Tex-Mex or something. It is good, though. Just not on everything, especially burritos. Not a fan of wet burritos. Burritos are for picking up.

I'm considering Los Sombreros for Mexican, but it's clearly not authentic.

The Tex-Mex influence is heavy and they can't figure out how to do salsa or red sauce at all for some reason.  It's not terrible food in general, it just pales in comparison to Southern California Mexican food.