• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scrap for Parts, a How-To on Rebuilding the Angels

The Angels are, quite honestly, very bad. Most fans are already looking forward to next season, and while you can’t blame them, there is not much to look forward to in the team’s current situation. After quite a bit of research, number crunching, and learning how the luxury tax system works, here are the moves the Angels need to make in order to be competitive for years to come:

Read more at:

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/scrap-for-parts-rebuilding-angels/

Solid article, although I disagree with almost all of it. Some comments.

One, I don't see how you can call Colby Rasmus a "high profile free agent" considering he's hitting .211/.286/.352 with a career line of .241/.311/.434. He's had a couple good years (2010, 2013) but those look more like outliers in another otherwise relatively average profile.

The same, if not moreso, of Brett Anderson. Six years ago he looked like the Athletics' ace, now he can barely stay healthy and when he does is more of a #3-4 type.

Melancon only really makes sense if they consider him as a trade chip at the deadline. You don't spend big money on a veteran closer when you're in rebuilding mode, plus Cam Bedrosian is due to take over from Street in a couple years.

Doug Fister is not a good bet, in my opinion. He has a 3.76 ERA this year but his FIP is 4.54, which means he's due for some regression. Sure, he's the type of pitcher (like Weaver) who tends to out-perform FIP, but again I just don't see him as a great investment. He'll be 33 next year.

Now that I think of it, almost all of the pitchers you mention it are mediocre to decent, and I just don't see them as worth signing. The future of the rotation remains Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, and Shoemaker, and given that all of those guys should be back and healthy by 2018, I'd rather see the Angels find one year deals for 2017. They aren't competing next year.

I like Lucroy but if there's one position--aside from CF and SS--that the Angels are pretty set at for years to come, it is catcher. I'm happy with Bandy/Perez next year, with Ward and Thaiss possibilities down the line (although Thaiss is most likely going to another position).

Finally, Jahmai Jones is a great prospect but he's only played Rookie ball - he really shouldn't be showing up on that depth chart for at least another couple years.

All that said, I like your attempt to build a decent borderline contender. Kudos for trying.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Solid article, although I disagree with almost all of it. Some comments.

One, I don't see how you can call Colby Rasmus a "high profile free agent" considering he's hitting .211/.286/.352 with a career line of .241/.311/.434. He's had a couple good years (2010, 2013) but those look more like outliers in another otherwise relatively average profile.

The same, if not moreso, of Brett Anderson. Six years ago he looked like the Athletics' ace, now he can barely stay healthy and when he does is more of a #3-4 type.

Melancon only really makes sense if they consider him as a trade chip at the deadline. You don't spend big money on a veteran closer when you're in rebuilding mode, plus Cam Bedrosian is due to take over from Street in a couple years.

Doug Fister is not a good bet, in my opinion. He has a 3.76 ERA this year but his FIP is 4.54, which means he's due for some regression. Sure, he's the type of pitcher (like Weaver) who tends to out-perform FIP, but again I just don't see him as a great investment. He'll be 33 next year.

Now that I think of it, almost all of the pitchers you mention it are mediocre to decent, and I just don't see them as worth signing. The future of the rotation remains Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, and Shoemaker, and given that all of those guys should be back and healthy by 2018, I'd rather see the Angels find one year deals for 2017. They aren't competing next year.

I like Lucroy but if there's one position--aside from CF and SS--that the Angels are pretty set at for years to come, it is catcher. I'm happy with Bandy/Perez next year, with Ward and Thaiss possibilities down the line (although Thaiss is most likely going to another position).

Finally, Jahmai Jones is a great prospect but he's only played Rookie ball - he really shouldn't be showing up on that depth chart for at least another couple years.

All that said, I like your attempt to build a decent borderline contender. Kudos for trying.

You missed these:

The Angels need to trade either Nate Smith or Victor Alcantar, along with Connor Justus, Brett Olberholtzer, and cash considerations along with a possible mid-round draft pick to the Nationals for pitching prospect Lucas Giolito. 

Halos should trade Shane Robinson, Andrew Heaney and Ricky Nolasco to Colorado for SS Brendan Rodgers. 

So the article is interesting from the standpoint of facilitating discussion, but I agree with AJ in that I pretty much disagree with almost everything you wrote.  Aside from who not to keep, the players you suggest acquiring would be down on my list or just aren't attainable for what we have to give up.  

If you want to get an idea of our potential off season targets, take a look at the pool of minor league free agents and/or the guys performing well at AA/AAA who are in their mid to late 20's and blocked at the major league level.   

I love how we can get Brendan Rodgers for Shane Robinson, shitty Ricky Nolasco, and Heaney who would spend the 2017 on the DL.

Also is it even possible to trade draft pick?

Finally, you talk about signing players to "max" deals.  What are these max deals?  This isn't basketball which caps the amount of money a free agent can sign.

You cannot trade a draft pick. Actually, you can't trade a player within a year of being drafted (or signed, can't remember) so Brandon Marsh is off the table. Plus, you just don't trade players like Marsh until you have a better sense of him. At this point he could be a wash-out in rookie ball or a future star. Actually, if we're going just by raw talent, he's probably second in the minors after Jahmai among outfielders.

Of course I see things differently. 

BabySteps

1. Sign or trade for a legit solution for LF. 

2. Sign or trade for a mid-rotation starter.

3. Sign or trade for a reliever.

The rest can be handled internally. There's no need to be handing out $100M dollar contracts next season. 

The right players will put us in contention. This team is much better than most fans give it credit for IMO. 

I'm sure the author put their heart into the article but quite frankly he says they can't get a "bigger" free agent yet they can spend all that money for 2-3 SP's and what appears to be an additional 2-3 relievers?

Not well thought out in my opinion but hey everyone has one right? :D

13 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

You cannot trade a draft pick. Actually, you can't trade a player within a year of being drafted (or signed, can't remember) so Brandon Marsh is off the table..

I think this rule changes this season - you can't trade the draft slot, but you can trade a just-drafted player now. Came to be after the Trea Turner deal to Washington.