• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno Speaks

John Smith

17 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We are in this situation right now.... 

Boston's front office leadership left, and the people that presided over their poor stretch were let go.

our FO left,too. 

in fact, the leader quit mid-season. why don't we get the same understanding that is afforded the Red Sox? 

22 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The team obviously had issues, but there were significant injuries during the 03 & 04 seasons. We complain about injuries being the reason for our poor season this year, but 03/04 were not that far off and yet we still managed to win 77 and 92 games. The team was aging, the starting pitching was weak, but we had a young ace pitcher, 5 ace relievers and the best farm system in baseball. We were in a great position without Arte's money.

We wouldn't have been in a great position if Arte's money hadn't brought us Vlad and Bartolo. 

Who was our young ace in 03/04? 

Edited by Lou

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

I just wish the Angels would invest more in the international markets.  They could fill some holes on both the big league level and the minor league level if they invested there.

I think Eppler is going to right that ship. The scandal with Clay Daniel or whatever his name was I think did far more harm than its credited for. It cost us extra in the fact that it happened right at a time when other teams caught on to how valuable the Latin amateur market was, so not only did we have to start from scratch, we had to do it down by a sizable margin.

That's also an area where I don't think you can just throw gobs of money at it to improve. That may even be part of the reason the skimming scandal came to be. 

For years, the Angels org was just straight distrusted by Latin prospects, who only had so much information to base their decisions on. 

For those same reasons, it won't turn around overnight. Personally, I think we're already on the upswing, and have been for a year or two (the Baldoquin restrictions made that impact even less noticeable still) but those prospects are so far away and prone to failure they don't make waves until they're stateside and producing for a year or two. Most of those guys just started getting time in Arizona, Orem, and Burlington. 

I think by 2018 we will see some of this Latin talent we've acquired the past couple years start to arrive in A+ and AA. Once they reach that level, they can advance quickly. It'll also coincide with our Baldoquin restrictions lifting.

Next two years will be very interesting.

15 hours ago, Lou said:

if so...lol

Lackey wasn't an ace by any stretch of the imagination in 03/04

He was not at that point. He was young, and good, but he would be one of the best pitchers in baseball from '05 -' 07 and he had put up 2 war in half a season in '02. 

The point is that we had him, and he was under control for cheap for many years to come, even if we was not a finished product at that point.