• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal yammers on for 1500 words and doesn't really reveal anything about the Angels deadline

nate

I dunno, I thought this was pretty revealing: 

Oh, the Angels are not about to concede ‘17; they likely will seek to upgrade this offseason at second base, left field and possibly catcher. But like the Jays, they intend to steer clear of the free-agent starters.  In fact, the Angels are so opposed to rewarding veteran mediocrity, they might even try some of their young relievers as starters next spring.

That is...weird. Unless Richards comes back, Skaggs-Shoemaker-Nolasco-Meyer-Nate Smith just doesn't really do much for me. I am not sure how they go about filling out this pitching staff without going into free agency and probably trading for a Tropeano-type 6th starter to boot. Adding a middling pitcher on a "show-me" deal feels like the bare-minimum (news flash: we are going to need innings next year), so the quote above surprised me. 

I wonder: Maybe the Angels are contemplating moving Guerra? I am not even sure who else would be an option. 

From the Angels’ perspective, the trade was mostly about Meyer, who was the Nationals’ first-round pick in 2011 and got traded straight-up for center fielder Denard Span in Nov. 2012, but at 26 has yet to come close to fulfilling his promise.

Righty Alan Busenitz, the prospect that the Angels sent to the Twins as part of the 2-for-2 exchange, might even prove to be a better major leaguer than Meyer. But the Angels placed such a high value on Meyer’s upside, they were willing to accept the downgrade from Santiago to Nolasco.

The exchange does not figure to help the Angels’ rotation in ’17; the question is, will it even matter? The Angels are unlikely to contend next season. If Nolasco’s ERA is 0.50 or 0.75 higher than Santiago’s, what difference will it make?

Oh, the Angels are not about to concede ‘17; they likely will seek to upgrade this offseason at second base, left field and possibly catcher. But like the Jays, they intend to steer clear of the free-agent starters. In fact, the Angels are so opposed to rewarding veteran mediocrity, they might even try some of their young relievers as starters next spring.

GM Billy Eppler, after inheriting the game’s lowest-ranked farm system, needs to be creative, take an occasional risk. His gamble on Meyer amounts to a swing for the fences, but the possibility exists that he will hit a home run. The primary cost if Meyer flops will be the difference in performance between Santiago and Nolasco, and perhaps the loss of Busenitz. Again, there are no payroll consequences with this deal.

You can watch Meyer pitch games from a couple years ago on youtube, his stuff isnt very impressive.  Striaght as an arrow fastball and a curve that isn't very sharp, combine that with bad control and I'm not sure what Eppler is seeing in this guy.   

But I guess were supposed to believe Eppler knows more than anyone including the twins.

31 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

You can watch Meyer pitch games from a couple years ago on youtube, his stuff isnt very impressive.  Striaght as an arrow fastball and a curve that isn't very sharp, combine that with bad control and I'm not sure what Eppler is seeing in this guy.   

But I guess were supposed to believe Eppler knows more than anyone including the twins.

You would be better served watching his start against Houston a few months ago. 

12 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I know when I want to judge a trade, I watch a single at-bat from a few years ago. 

Reading is hard for some people.

I watched several videos of him, if you read my post it says "games" which is plural.

I posted the video I thought was best since it would be annoying to post all of them.  Stay in school bra.

3 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

You and I watched the same video but came to very different conclusions.  Those fastballs are firm, heavy.  The change up had downward action and he spotted it on the outer half and low.  The curve has enough speed differential to throw hitters off, breaks enough to hamper adjustments and he can throw it for a strike.  I'm seeing three major league quality pitches.  As for his mechanics, a big problem he's had the last couple years is flying open with his shoulder too soon, which causes his arm to drag behind and fall off the mound far toward first base in a manner that's hard to recover from and maintain balance.  Here he's keeping his shoulder in, allowing the ball to explode out of his hand and toward the plate.  They aren't perfect mechanics, but for a guy as big as he is, they aren't bad (in this video).

As Doc said, the problem isn't in Meyer's stuff.  It's his health.  That's ultimately what the Angels are betting on. If he's healthy, I think he's a borderline ace.  If he's not fully healthy, he's a reliever.  If he isn't at all....well let's just say we'll have horribly lost that trade. 

the halos are clearly banking on the fact that his issues are mechanical and they can fix him.  They also probably think his inconsistent mechanics are causing his shoulder issues.  If they fix one thing, it solves all the problems.  More control/command, more breaking ball depth, more velocity, less risk of injury.  In theory, it makes sense.  The problem is that they aren't the only ones to see this no matter what people think and this kids ability to fix the problem is clearly an issue.  

I still see him stepping off toward 1b in that video.

Shoe was actually having a similar issue earlier this year.  

If you want to see a truly straight fastball, check out the one JC ramirez threw when he gave up that hr last night.