• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you'd rather watch and listen than read...

I did a Facebook LIve chat tonight breaking down and explaining the Angels trades. Also talked about some other stuff.

It's time to get the answers to your most pressing Angels questions -- trade and non-trade-related -- in a Facebook Live chat with beat writer Jeff Fletcher.

Posted by OC Register: Angels on Monday, August 1, 2016

Nice job Jeff!!  Very cool stuff and thanks for posting it here.  

The thing that stuck out to me was your explanation of why they went after Meyer.  You mentioned that people wouldn't want to see them improve in small increments and that because of the situation they are in, they have to essentially make riskier moves in order to potentially find greater short term improvements.  

Yet isn't that what has gotten them into the position they are in?  They have essentially used every resource available to supplement the major league club.  Even last winter when payroll was frozen or at least very tight, they used currency in the form of prospects to obtain Simmons and Escobar.   Simmons was understandable in that he was controlled for an extended period, but Escobar was not.  

So why leave significant holes in other spots (LF, bullpen, lesser so 2b) yet make other short term moves?  

And now that they looking at 2017 as being another potential lost season, why not just get the best players they could for Hector instead of gambling on a guy just because he could be of more immediate help?  Getting some solid A+/AA prospects for Hector means those guys could be up by 2018 and helping by 2019 and 2020.  

My sort of conspiracy on that is the notion of Arte not allowing any sort of perception that the team isn't going to try to be competitive from one year to the next for fear of season ticket holder backlash.  

Why not acknowledge that 2017 isn't likely to amount to much and plan for the last three years of Trout's contract when we have a bunch of guys returning from TJ surg?  

Is that philosophical directive coming from Arte or does Eppler, MS and their staff really think that 2017 is a potential playoff season?

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

The thing that stuck out to me was your explanation of why they went after Meyer.  You mentioned that people wouldn't want to see them improve in small increments and that because of the situation they are in, they have to essentially make riskier moves in order to potentially find greater short term improvements.  

Yet isn't that what has gotten them into the position they are in?  They have essentially used every resource available to supplement the major league club.  Even last winter when payroll was frozen or at least very tight, they used currency in the form of prospects to obtain Simmons and Escobar.   Simmons was understandable in that he was controlled for an extended period, but Escobar was not.  

So why leave significant holes in other spots (LF, bullpen, lesser so 2b) yet make other short term moves?  

And now that they looking at 2017 as being another potential lost season, why not just get the best players they could for Hector instead of gambling on a guy just because he could be of more immediate help?  Getting some solid A+/AA prospects for Hector means those guys could be up by 2018 and helping by 2019 and 2020.  

My sort of conspiracy on that is the notion of Arte not allowing any sort of perception that the team isn't going to try to be competitive from one year to the next for fear of season ticket holder backlash.  

Why not acknowledge that 2017 isn't likely to amount to much and plan for the last three years of Trout's contract when we have a bunch of guys returning from TJ surg?  

Is that philosophical directive coming from Arte or does Eppler, MS and their staff really think that 2017 is a potential playoff season?

There's a lot there. I will try to addres what I can. 

First of all, last year the team's situation didn't look as dire as it does now because they didn't have so many injured pitchers. They had 8 starters. Getting Simmons and Escobar to compete in 2016 made sense. It's a different situation now. 

The reason for leaving the other holes was flat-out money. That's Arte's call. It hasn't changed. They still won't spend big until they are rid of the Hamilton contract IMO.

And this deal essentially does acknowledge that 2017 may not be that great and they are building for the long term. If 2017 stinks what difference does it make if you have Santiago or Nolasco? But Meyer can be a part of 2017-2022, whether as a starter (a cheap one) or a dominant reliever. 

As for what else they could have gotten for Hector, it's all a risk. There are players with lower risk and lower reward (like the M's got for Miley). If you want guys who are younger because they are further out, you still don't know if they'll be any good. Any A/AA player who is a safe bet is either really good (which means you can't get him for Santiago) or has a really low ceiling (like a bunch of other guys the Angels already have).

Santiago has limited value, so you have to decide how you want to cash it in. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

If Meyer works out in the rotation and the Angels fix him he could be a top of the rotation type pitcher to go along with Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs, Smith, etc.. That's a good young rotation to look forward to in 2018. 

45 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I was positive we got Escobar to just trade at the deadline if we were out of it.  I was obviously 100% wrong.

I think the Angels had that in mind too, but there was really no market for him. They still have this offseason or next deadline.

And this deal essentially does acknowledge that 2017 may not be that great and they are building for the long term. If 2017 stinks what difference does it make if you have Santiago or Nolasco?

Well, you could have neither, i.e. trade Hector for someone further out.

But Meyer can be a part of 2017-2022, whether as a starter (a cheap one) or a dominant reliever. 

Or he could go the way of most 26 year-old pitchers who have yet to log more than 10 inning of big league work, which is nowhere.

Santiago has limited value, so you have to decide how you want to cash it in.

Many of us understand the first part, it's the Angels' choice on the second part that is the issue.