• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Troy Scribner promoted to AAA

Pretty solid numbers this year, and a decent minor league career. I'd keep an eye on him for next year in our rotation depth, but I wouldn't place any more expectations on him than we did Drew Rucinski a little while back. So, about #8 or #9 on the depth chart.

#1-3: Shoe, Santiago, Skaggs, #4-5: ???, #6-7: Smith and ??? and #8-10 Scribner, McGowin, maybe Jones.

Can't really slot Richards in anywhere until his health is determined. I would just operate under the assumption he is already going to be out, and if he isn't, just slide everyone one step down below him.

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Pretty solid numbers this year, and a decent minor league career. I'd keep an eye on him for next year in our rotation depth, but I wouldn't place any more expectations on him than we did Drew Rucinski a little while back. So, about #8 or #9 on the depth chart.

#1-3: Shoe, Santiago, Skaggs, #4-5: ???, #6-7: Smith and ??? and #8-10 Scribner, McGowin, maybe Jones.

Can't really slot Richards in anywhere until his health is determined. I would just operate under the assumption he is already going to be out, and if he isn't, just slide everyone one step down below him.

If you bring Weaver back for one year, then that would fill #5, and we would be looking for a #4, #6, and hope youngsters fill the rest of the spots.  I think there are lots of good reasons to sign him for one more year.

7 minutes ago, tomsred said:

If you bring Weaver back for one year, then that would fill #5

It would fill it in about the same way signing any of us to play LF would fill that void. We could stand in LF and walk up to the batter's box. But it doesn't mean we could competently do the job.

I think at this point though you have to strongly consider bringing Weaver back. Maybe one of CJ, Lincecum, Chacin, or Kendrick as well, at least a ST invite. If Santiago is dealt, even more so. 

For this reason I'm also more open to running those guys out onto the mound still this year to see which if any we should consider retaining.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think at this point though you have to strongly consider bringing Weaver back. Maybe one of CJ, Lincecum, Chacin, or Kendrick as well, at least a ST invite. If Santiago is dealt, even more so. 

For this reason I'm also more open to running those guys out onto the mound still this year to see which if any we should consider retaining.

Wilson might be a good one to get back and it will be worth tendering a contract to Chacin. But there will be better guys we could sign for cheap than Weaver, Lincecum or Kendrick.

Edit: Just saw that Chacin is a FA after this year. I doubt they'd bring him back.

CJ definitely should get a 1 year deal with incentives. Worst case, he doesn't pitch. No harm no foul.

But signing Weaver shouldn't be looked at as a necessity. MAYBE if he signs a 1 year deal at a massive discount. But really, he's put up an 80 ERA+ the last 2 years. This season he currently boasts a career worst ERA, WHIP, H/9, HR/9, K/9, and K/BB. He's pretty much done. He may retire for all we know. If he doesn't, it won't be terribly difficult to upgrade over those numbers. 

I think if Weaver resigns - a big if because I can see him being the type that knows his time has come - it would be less about him going out there and producing, and more about just having Jered Weaver still on the staff. We shouldn't have a problem replacing his production, even in a market this thin. But if he wants to come back, and we have a spot on the staff and the FO realistically (internally) knows there's not much hope in '17, I can see it happening. 

Regarding him, Lincecum, Kendrick, Chacin....I don't think any of them have much chance at all in turning things around, but you look at guys like Colon, Kazmir, Ryan Vogelsong, Rich freakin' Hill, Kazmir, even Shoe to a degree, Dan Straily, and it isn't totally impossible one of them suddenly starts turning things around. No, it's not very likely, and they all look hopeless right now, but so did all of those other guys. I don't see much harm in running them out for the remainder and seeing if anything clicks, because we will need any advantage possible going into this year's FA class. If they all suck, oh well, draft pick. 

Nate Smith is the only one really being blocked.

Scribner's minor league numbers have been terrific outside of last year, and even then, his peripherals were still solid except for his bb rate.  He's fighting the fact that he was never drafted, so how could he be good.  

he misses bats and gives up hits at a rate of less than one per inning.