• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you rather just miss the playoffs or have a top ten pick

kevinb

Would you rather miss the playoffs or have top 10 pick  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Finish above .500 but just miss the playoffs
    • Have a top 10 draft pick

This is a difficult question, on one hand we would have a really good season but just miss out on the ultimate goal which is the playoffs. But on the other hand having a top 10 draft pick could help rebuild the team and add to the teams future faster. 

I'd prefer having a top 10 pick. Missing the playoffs even if it is by 1 game or say a half a game your still not making the ultimate goal which is to make the playoffs so whether you miss it by a half game or you miss it by 30 it really doesn't matter to me. You still failed. 

top ten pick. which to be fair is no guarantee. but theres no chance we win the world series this year. not being a downer, just a realist. if no chance of a ring, then just "making the playoffs" isnt a huge deal. it would be nice and all, but...

we lost basically our whole rotation. we were thin prior, but that killed us. cant really gripe too much, just really bad luck. now its time to invest wisely and focus on the future. 

theyve been playing well lately, but arent a playoff team anyway. again, not hating, just dont have the pitching (at all) for that. 

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

Didn't someone just post a similar thread a few days ago.

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Doubt it

that's actually the funniest thing that's happened around here for awhile. 

as far as the question goes, i think it's a mirage. it seems like a reasonable question because the two events seem either/or, but they're not. they exist on different planes of perspective. one is short term perspective and the other is long term. 

in the short term, do i want the angels to play meaningful baseball all the way to the last day of the regular season? of course i do. because i can't know that they're going to miss out on the playoffs on that last day. but if i do know that they're going to fail, then of course i would take the better draft talent, because regardless of what the common narrative may be, the truth is top ten draft picks have a significantly higher rate of making the mlb.

i'll add my own information to the topic, which is this, i believe that sustained losing seasons, which allows for the stockpiling of higher grade amateur talent, creates a culture of losing withing the organization that negates the value of the higher grade amateur talent. it's very hard to break from negative cycles and that truth is born out in everyday life.

9 hours ago, Kevinb said:

This is a difficult question, on one hand we would have a really good season but just miss out on the ultimate goal which is the playoffs. But on the other hand having a top 10 draft pick could help rebuild the team and add to the teams future faster. 

I'd prefer having a top 10 pick. Missing the playoffs even if it is by 1 game or say a half a game your still not making the ultimate goal which is to make the playoffs so whether you miss it by a half game or you miss it by 30 it really doesn't matter to me. You still failed. 

Funny thing is that I don't recall people here saying last year was a very good season. In fact, it has been referred to as a failure. 

9 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I guess I'm just asking say the Angels are mathematically eliminated. Would you rather them continue to win to worsen their draft slow or just tank the rest for a draft slot?

That's a completely different qustion

Edited by Lou

51 minutes ago, ukyah said:

that's actually the funniest thing that's happened around here for awhile. 

as far as the question goes, i think it's a mirage. it seems like a reasonable question because the two events seem either/or, but they're not. they exist on different planes of perspective. one is short term perspective and the other is long term. 

in the short term, do i want the angels to play meaningful baseball all the way to the last day of the regular season? of course i do. because i can't know that they're going to miss out on the playoffs on that last day. but if i do know that they're going to fail, then of course i would take the better draft talent, because regardless of what the common narrative may be, the truth is top ten draft picks have a significantly higher rate of making the mlb.

i'll add my own information to the topic, which is this, i believe that sustained losing seasons, which allows for the stockpiling of higher grade amateur talent, creates a culture of losing withing the organization that negates the value of the higher grade amateur talent. it's very hard to break from negative cycles and that truth is born out in everyday life.

Well said