• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Yunel Escobar?

Chuck

Would you trade Yunel Escobar or keep him for a run in 2017?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Yunel Escobar or keep him for a run in 2017?

• Trade him only for an A-level prospect, or two B level prospects at the deadline
    • Trade him at the deadline in 2017 if the Angels are out of it
    • Keep him for a run in the 2017 season - possibly extend him if he continues his amazing hitting in '17 for a run in 2018 when (Richards, Heaney & Trop are back)

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I agree ... Escobar's trade value is at its highest. Only thing missing is the buyer. I expect Eppler to rob the seller blind on a deadline trade that we don't really need to make at this time. 

If you can't find that buyer ... then screw it. You don't trade even if it's a fair trade. 

That's where I'm at too.

Our farm is in such sorry shape in terms of high-upside or elite talent or MLB-ready talent that we need to get those types of players back. Acquiring more middle of the road prospects won't do much. Go with quality over quantity. 

While I'm not convinced this a competitive team in 2017, I would be fine going with what we have to start the season if we aren't bringing back prospects of that caliber. If we are going to trade players just for the sake of trading them, do it in their contract year. Smith this year, Esco, Street, and Santiago next year.

Looks like the Giants just traded for Eduardo Nunez, so that's one more Esco suitor out. For Adalberto Mejia.

MLB-ready lefty starter who profiles as a #4, according to MLB Prospect Pipeline. So, sort of an idea on a potential return. Their #7 prospect.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Looks like the Giants just traded for Eduardo Nunez, so that's one more Esco suitor out. For Adalberto Mejia.

MLB-ready lefty starter who profiles as a #4, according to MLB Prospect Pipeline. So, sort of an idea on a potential return. 

Really thought Giants were the most likely trade partner....I don't think he's going anywhere....

Speaking of Cowart, he's been on fire lately, posting a .410 2 HR 8 RBI 4 SB his last 10 games raising his season totals to:

.294 .352 OBP .814 OPS 29 2B 5 3B 6 HR 47 RBI 17 SB while playing 1B, 2B, SS and 3B

If they do retain Escobar for another season, they could potentially have him at 2B for a season to continue his development and then slide him over to 3B in 2018.

I'm glad they've kept Cowart in SLC actually. And I'd be fine having him there to start next season if we keep Escobar. His struggles were so long and severe, it's good for his development to neutralize that by being consistently productive, even in a hitter's environment, for this long. At the very least, it's increasing his trade value, should we for some reason need to utilize him for that. 

On 7/28/2016 at 1:55 AM, Robrock30 said:

Keep Escobar who is leading off, hitting .325 and is a multi-positional 3B through the trading deadline.  The alternative is Who's on 3B, Who's leadoff, and Who's setting the table.  Until there are answers stay the course.

The problem is that you will have all of those questions going into 2018.  You are really only gambling on one year of not having that leadoff guy.  If you make the right trade and FA signings and give some of the guys in the monors a chance you may find that guy and it would be for the long term.  I know some guys aren't high on Cowart, but he's a former top prospect that has seemingly figured out his issues with the bat.  Whether or not that will translate to the majors will only be known if he gets the shot.  He plays elite defense, is fast and can therefore steal, and he is sporting an OBP 60 points higher than his BA for the second year in a row.  He could potentially be our leadoff guy and future 3B. We won't know until he's given a shot.  What we do know is that Escobar is gone after next year and we end up with all the holes you mentioned, no solution, and nothing in return for him leaving.  This is the chance to get something for him.  Whether or not that opportunity actually presents itself is the real question.

6 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

The problem is that you will have all of those questions going into 2018.  You are really only gambling on one year of not having that leadoff guy.  If you make the right trade and FA signings and give some of the guys in the monors a chance you may find that guy and it would be for the long term.  I know some guys aren't high on Cowart, but he's a former top prospect that has seemingly figured out his issues with the bat.  Whether or not that will translate to the majors will only be known if he gets the shot.  He plays elite defense, is fast and can therefore steal, and he is sporting an OBP 60 points higher than his BA for the second year in a row.  He could potentially be our leadoff guy and future 3B. We won't know until he's given a shot.  What we do know is that Escobar is gone after next year and we end up with all the holes you mentioned, no solution, and nothing in return for him leaving.  This is the chance to get something for him.  Whether or not that opportunity actually presents itself is the real question.

" a chance you might find that guy..."

how long have we been saying that about 3B and LF?  like others, I would like to see Cowart @ 3b and Escobar @ 2B. 

26 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Also Cowart this year in AAA has been playing some 2B, SS, and 1B. I think he even played a game or 2 in the OF. he is currently on a hot streak with a 12 game hitting streak going 3-5 with a HR yesterday.  his slash line is .294/.352/.462/.814 - 6 HR and 5 triples.  

P.S. He has been the lead off hitting for 79 AB hitting .316/.372/.557/.929. He is a switch hitter with identical .294 BA from both sides of the plate.

58 minutes ago, Lou said:

" a chance you might find that guy..."

how long have we been saying that about 3B and LF?  like others, I would like to see Cowart @ 3b and Escobar @ 2B. 

I agree.  Since Escobar's main issue at 3B seems to be the throws, that might shore up the left side of the infield with Simmons.  I think they should try this for 2017 if they hang on to Escobar

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd be willing to bet Yunel at second would just as bad as Yunel at third. His issues stem from mental errors more than physical ones. He'll be overthrowing the first baseman or missing Andrelton when turning double plays just as often. I think it just comes with the territory with him.

All true but DH is occupied so, if we keep him, you have to put him somewhere.  He was a pretty good SS at one point so, while he may be less than ideal at 2B, we know what his play at 3B is like...its probably worth a shot.  Unless they want to try sticking him in LF since the combination of Nava/Choi/Petit/Marte isn't exactly All Star both offensively or defensively

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

He's been pretty solid this season for the Twins, .764 OPS and 27 SBs in a fulltime role.

That's HOF stats compared to the Halos' LFers the past 2 seasons. 

Perhaps but that is what I read and he steals bases well so he strikes me as a really good bench piece with his defensive versatility but perhaps that is what they wanted: Someone good and versatile who wouldn't be a big drop off in production if an injury occurs.

23 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'd be willing to bet Yunel at second would just as bad as Yunel at third. His issues stem from mental errors more than physical ones. He'll be overthrowing the first baseman or missing Andrelton when turning double plays just as often. I think it just comes with the territory with him.

I don't know if I agree with this. He seems to have trouble setting his feet on some throws. His release point on some throws are completely off as well. Those are physical issues. 

23 hours ago, totdprods said:

Valbuena placed on the DL. I actually wondered about the Astros as a potential Escobar fit a little while back, wonder if this reignites some spark. 

No....they have Bregman tearing it up in the minors and they just signed Gurriel.....

22 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

He's been pretty solid this season for the Twins, .764 OPS and 27 SBs in a fulltime role.

That's HOF stats compared to the Halos' LFers the past 2 seasons. 

He has a career ops of .491 as a LF 

over the last 4 years he has started 10 games in LF and has made 3 errors 

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

No....they have Bregman tearing it up in the minors and they just signed Gurriel.....

Gurriel isn't quite ready yet, and Bregman is still hitless through 13 (small sample) at bats. They're making a playoff push and could use another high contact guy. They're also playing a utility infielder at 1B regularly in Marwin Gonzales, who also is a little banged up. They could easily flip Escobar in the offseason for a prospect and use him down the stretch.

20 minutes ago, Lou said:

I don't know if I agree with this. He seems to have trouble setting his feet on some throws. His release point on some throws are completely off as well. Those are physical issues. 

Okay, I won't disagree that there isn't physical issues as well. But would those really be abated much just by moving to second?