• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon

On 6/30/2016 at 0:36 PM, Homebrewer said:

Ohhh and PS...Anyone could have Arietta right now, he was available for peanuts just a short while back. Why do you think it was that the Cubbies got him?

it wasn't because of Maddon 

On 6/29/2016 at 4:53 PM, MacNasty said:

Yeah man.  Joe Maddon is why we won that championship.  He was what made that staff special, not the man running it.  For years I was all over the fat guy's nuts, but not any more.

It's time to go get a great young manager who can bring energy to this team and make the staff around him better. Hopefully we have a GM who can restack it right.

Maddon is 62 years old 

I'm not going to dis Scioscia, I think he gets the most out of what he has.  He is very good at slotting players and keeping them in their roles.

But in late 1999 Maddon was the interm manager after the Angels canned Collins.  Collins had completely lost the team, no one was playing good.  After Maddon took over they went 19-7 and looked like a playoff team.

After the season the whole coaching staff was fired including Maddon.  When Scioscia was hiring is coaches, Stoneman recommended Maddon, stating he was impressed when interviewed him, and everyone in the organization raved about him.

I was hoping he would win the manager's position back then.  I think Joe Maddon is a better manager, but I don't think he could do any better with this group of players.

On 6/30/2016 at 10:38 AM, JoJo26 said:

Didn't he guide the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to the World Series? 2 years after losing 101 games? Then had FOUR MORE 90 + win seasons with Tampa?

New gig: 97 wins last year with the Cubbies and 51 so far this season?

PLUS - he has 17 playoffs W's since 2008

Scioscia has THREE....(Seven since 2002)

Scioscia guided a team that had lost 92 games 3 yrs prior and 87 games the year before to the 2002 World Series

AND WON !!!

28 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Angels finished 70-92 that year. When Dipoto walked off into the sunset the Angels went on a winning streak last season as well. They, like the 1999 Angels, did not look like a playoff team. 

I don't see the correlation. I don't remember any interm GM decisions that caused that winning streak.

42 minutes ago, NotMyCat said:

I don't see the correlation. I don't remember any interm GM decisions that caused that winning streak.

What were the decisions made by Maddon in 1999 that caused the 19-7 record? 

10 minutes ago, NotMyCat said:

Back to the original statement.  

you gave Maddon credit for 1999 but not the interim GM last year, stating: "I don't remember any interm GM decisions that caused that winning streak."

that must mean you remember the decisions that were made by Maddon in 1999. I asked what they were because my memory isn't as good as it once was.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

you gave Maddon credit for 1999 but not the interim GM last year, stating: "I don't remember any interm GM decisions that caused that winning streak."

that must mean you remember the decisions that were made by Maddon in 1999. I asked what they were because my memory isn't as good as it once was.

Ok that's fair.  I remember the players stating the were more relaxed with him, but since it was 17 years ago I cannot find any links.  

9 minutes ago, NotMyCat said:

Ok that's fair.  I remember the players stating the were more relaxed with him, but since it was 17 years ago I cannot find any links.  

oh, I don't doubt that at all. collins was a hardass back then 

25 minutes ago, NotMyCat said:

Joe Maddon has always been good about making the youngsters feel relaxed and comfortable. In fact he offers them a free ride and candy.

ed3b43bf37fd5a66182846744ab4ce96_crop_ex