• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arkansas Travelers Sherman Johnson is en fuego... (Slashing .393/.507/.721/.1228 OPS)

Went 5-5 yesterday and 4-4 with his 4th HR in game two of a doubleheader today.

It's seriously time to promote him to AAA and continue to start him at 2B and 3B.

Way to rebound Sherm after a solid 2014 in High-A, only to have a poor season in 2015 with Arkansas. He's also drawing a bunch of walks at a great clip too. 14 walks vs. 13 strikeouts. Johnson is now leading all of Double-A in batting average.

One of the nicest guys that we had the pleasure to have dinner with and a few other prospects at our 2015 Spring Fanfest.

1462529_10205532901378381_25538642725148

I like Sherman. He should be a productive major leaguer at some point.

Even in with his terrible year last year and his average barely over .200, he still got on base at a .325 percentage.

He has some tools. Hopefully we see him soon.

That will make Charles very happy and less likely to commit harakiri.

Very solid defensively as well. I'd love to see him given a shot soon, hit him low in the lineup, keep giving Ortega a chance even with Nava coming back. Or have Soto DH and call-up Bandy? They gotta get creative. Heck I might go:

1. Escobar 3B

2. Calhoun RF

3. Trout CF

4. Pujols 1B/DH (Scioscia)

5. Nava DH (could help him stay healthy)

6. Soto C

7. Simmons SS

8. Johnson 2B

9. Ortega LF

Very solid defensively as well. I'd love to see him given a shot soon, hit him low in the lineup, keep giving Ortega a chance even with Nava coming back. Or have Soto DH and call-up Bandy? They gotta get creative. Heck I might go:

1. Escobar 3B

2. Calhoun RF

3. Trout CF

4. Pujols 1B/DH (Scioscia)

5. Nava DH (could help him stay healthy)

6. Soto C

7. Simmons SS

8. Johnson 2B

9. Ortega LF

Cron is heating up so I'm pretty sure he's going to be our 1B/DH for the foreseeable future. 

Sherman is seeing the ball better right now, than he has at any point in his career.  He's refined his swing his footwork, even his throwing motion.  This all tells me that he's a hard working kid. 

He's too old to be much of a prospect anymore, and while he can fill in at shortstop, he isn't someone you want there for an extended period of time.  Ultimately, he's going to need to be either a starting 2B or 3B, just because without SS on his resume, utility player is kind of thrown out the window. And as a 2B or 3B, he needs to beat out Yarbrough, Kubitza and Cowart (and Marte at 3B and Navarro at 2B) as well as Pennington. 

It's nice to think about, but he's just too buried. He has just enough power, speed, patience and defense to be a solid player, but I'm not sure there's a spot in the major leagues for him unless a few things happen.  There needs to be injuries and under-performing as well as him continuing to rip the ball.

Went 5-5 yesterday and 4-4 with his 4th HR in game two of a doubleheader today.

It's seriously time to promote him to AAA and continue to start him at 2B and 3B.

Way to rebound Sherm after a solid 2014 in High-A, only to have a poor season in 2015 with Arkansas. He's also drawing a bunch of walks at a great clip too. 14 walks vs. 13 strikeouts. Johnson is now leading all of Double-A in batting average.

One of the nicest guys that we had the pleasure to have dinner with and a few other prospects at our 2015 Spring Fanfest.

1462529_10205532901378381_25538642725148

This was before Chuck cut his hair, I think I liked it better long and blonder.

Sherman is seeing the ball better right now, than he has at any point in his career.  He's refined his swing his footwork, even his throwing motion.  This all tells me that he's a hard working kid. 

He's too old to be much of a prospect anymore, and while he can fill in at shortstop, he isn't someone you want there for an extended period of time.  Ultimately, he's going to need to be either a starting 2B or 3B, just because without SS on his resume, utility player is kind of thrown out the window. And as a 2B or 3B, he needs to beat out Yarbrough, Kubitza and Cowart (and Marte at 3B and Navarro at 2B) as well as Pennington. 

It's nice to think about, but he's just too buried. He has just enough power, speed, patience and defense to be a solid player, but I'm not sure there's a spot in the major leagues for him unless a few things happen.  There needs to be injuries and under-performing as well as him continuing to rip the ball.

25 is not old. Some of these prospects, especially kids drafted in college like Sherman make their major league debuts when 25-26. 

If Sherman keeps it up, I can see him surpassing everyone you mentioned above. Pennington and Giavotella are not sure things and signed only through this year. Navarro isn't much of a prospect, just a defensive guy (little bat, no speed). Like Kubitza and Cowart, Sherman can play 2B, 3B and the outfield. 

The one thing that Sherman has over everyone you mentioned is an ability to get on base at a high clip. If he continues to make better contact and draw walks, there will be nobody in his path that can stop him from jumping them on the depth chart. 

25 is not old. Some of these prospects, especially kids drafted in college like Sherman make their major league debuts when 25-26. 

If Sherman keeps it up, I can see him surpassing everyone you mentioned above. Pennington and Giavotella are not sure things and signed only through this year. Navarro isn't much of a prospect, just a defensive guy (little bat, no speed). Like Kubitza and Cowart, Sherman can play 2B, 3B and the outfield. 

The one thing that Sherman has over everyone you mentioned is an ability to get on base at a high clip. If he continues to make better contact and draw walks, there will be nobody in his path that can stop him from jumping them on the depth chart. 

Yeah, Sherman is the best in terms of getting on base, and he's probably the fastest too, though both Kubitza and Cowart can run too.  But in terms of glove at 3B, he sits firmly behind both Cowart and Kubitza.  In terms of arm he's behind them as well.  Power, he sits behind the two of them in that category too.  The ability to hit for average, he's behind Cowart and Kubitza there too.

Giavotella is far from sure thing and the same with Pennington.  But even if they aren't the answer at 2B or 3B, the Angels look like they're rolling with Escobar at 3B for the near future, and there's still the small problem of both Cowart and Kubitza being better in many facets of the game than Sherman.  He also has Yarbrough, Arakawa, Fletcher, Baldoquin and Sanger playing 2B in the system right now. 

I like watching him play, but I think Sherman's probably going to need to be traded or let go to make it to the majors.  Otherwise he'll be in AA/AAA for a long time. 

Donaldson didn't become a MLB starting 3B until halfway through his age 26 season in 2012.

Yep. 

You cannot compare every prospect or young player to the likes of Trout & Correa. 

There are those, then there are others who have been rushed to the big leagues at an early age and struggle so bad they're sent back to the minors. 

Ryan Howard didn't make it to the big leagues until he was 26. There are plenty more of this type. 

He plays the right position to get a shot, that's for sure....

If Sherman keeps it up, I can see him surpassing everyone you mentioned above. Pennington and Giavotella are not sure things and signed only through this year. Navarro isn't much of a prospect, just a defensive guy (little bat, no speed). 

He's the same exact age (same DOB), as Kubitza, so if he's too old, then so is KK.   My issue with his performance is he's old for that league and he needs to be moved up.

Yeah, Sherman is the best in terms of getting on base, and he's probably the fastest too, though both Kubitza and Cowart can run too.  But in terms of glove at 3B, he sits firmly behind both Cowart and Kubitza.  In terms of arm he's behind them as well.  Power, he sits behind the two of them in that category too.  The ability to hit for average, he's behind Cowart and Kubitza there too.

Giavotella is far from sure thing and the same with Pennington.  But even if they aren't the answer at 2B or 3B, the Angels look like they're rolling with Escobar at 3B for the near future, and there's still the small problem of both Cowart and Kubitza being better in many facets of the game than Sherman.  He also has Yarbrough, Arakawa, Fletcher, Baldoquin and Sanger playing 2B in the system right now. 

I like watching him play, but I think Sherman's probably going to need to be traded or let go to make it to the majors.  Otherwise he'll be in AA/AAA for a long time. 

The knock on Kubitza is and always has been that he doesn't show the kind of pop you'd expect for a guy his size, his career high for HRs in any one season is 12.  Johnson's 7 HRs last year in Arkansas matched Kubitza's total at SLC -- So while KK may look like the better source of power he comes up short in game situations and always has.   Arakawa, Fletcher, Baldoquin, and Sanger are all either at the same level as him (Yarbs), or below him - so basically the only real object ahead of him is Cowart.    

When the main competition for your job are guys like Gia, Yarbs, Kubitza, Cowart, and a bunch of guys college guys in Low and High A, you've got a chance...  Particularly on a team in need of guys who can get on base.  He's got warts but in this system he's potentially useful.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I just really see Sherman as being a really nice super utility/backup player all around the field as needed. If he can show in limited playing time that he can put a good at-bat together with passable to good defense at several positions he'd be a real boon to the team.