• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jett Bandy & Tyler Ward trade bait?

Chuck

I'm thinking if these two continue to have a good first half of the season one of the two should be traded to shore up a weakness or strengthen our LF situation. 

Whenever you have a good hitting catcher with receiving skills, you should be able to get a lot back in return.

If Nava/Gentry are just meh by May-July, it may be time to deal one of these two for a young OF prospect on the verge, or package one of the two for a major league LF who can contribute right away. 

I'm pretty happy with Perez and Soto for now. 

Thoughts?

I honestly don't think any trade is going to be enough.

I disagree. 

We need to shore up areas in which we're deficient with, whether it's LF, the bullpen or a real 3B that can both field and hit. 

Catching prospects usually bring back a good haul. 

I disagree.

We need to shore up areas in which we're deficient with, whether it's LF, the bullpen or a real 3B that can both field and hit.

Catching prospects usually bring back a good haul.

I think we need to let Eppler evaluate this team for at least one season before we start dumping prospects for that "win now" methodology. We have some expensive non productive players on this roster that need to be purged before we can "win now".

I think we need to let Eppler evaluate this team for at least one season before we start dumping prospects for that "win now" methodology. We have some expensive non productive players on this roster that need to be purged before we can "win now".

I don't think Chuck was suggesting "win now". In his original post he suggest trading them for prospects or young players who will contribute long term. 

I don't think Chuck was suggesting "win now". In his original post he suggest trading them for prospects or young players who will contribute long term. 

Correct. I'm talking about swapping a young C for a young OF.

Absolutely.

Remember when the Yankees had Romine, Cervelli, Sanchez, and maybe one other C prospect? Every major trade rumor circulated around those guys and to date none of them have done much. I absolutely think the Angels should utilize one of them as a trade centerpiece over the next year or so.

Perez I think is too important and has had enough success at the ML level for the Angels to really want to part with him, so I think he likely stays. Bandy doesn't have the prospect pedigree yet, but if he continues to impress at AAA or in a big-league stint, he probably becomes likeliest dealt. Ward is in a similar position, don't think he has quite the hype yet but if continues to impress he may draw a lot of interest from a lot of clubs.

All the ML team needs is one good catcher for 120 games, a defense first vet for the other 40, another journeyman vet in the minors for insurance, maybe coupled with a fringe C prospect, what Stephen McGee could be.

You just don't see many teams implementing two young C's in a timeshare very often. May go with some old-school philopsohy about letting your main C be just that. Give them the role and let them take it.

LF doesn't seem to be the concern right now. Maybe if it nets us a starter (which will

Most likely be our biggest need) then I would do it. Not Ward though

I really hope we can see Nate Smith do well in AAA this season and Alcantara continue to impress as a starter, following up his start last week (6 IP, 0 ER, 8 K's, just one walk).

If they do, along with Tropeano and Skaggs, I think our SP depth is fine. 

One thing we do not have a surplus of is OF prospects. 

If Ward or Bandy have a good year, you could probably pry a good SP prospect away from a club that has depth there and needs help at C. It's too valuable a position to fill. Something *comparable* to Bandy to the Phils for Thomas Eshelman. Or an OF prospect.

Losing a minor league C is one of the best and only ways this team can find an improvement without really hurting the team in the long run.

Edited by totdprods

No I think he's on the "win now" wagon. This team has a lot of holes that Dipoto didn't address in his 3.5 seasons so anyone expecting Eppler to "win now" has high expectations for a guy that's been working here for four months. I think Eppler is going to "start over" and scrap Dipoto's plan.

No I think he's on the "win now" wagon. This team has a lot of holes that Dipoto didn't address in his 3.5 seasons so anyone expecting Eppler to "win now" has high expectations for a guy that's been working here for four months. I think Eppler is going to "start over" and scrap Dipoto's plan.

I really don't see all the holes you're referring to Claude. 

I still think our SP depth is fine, plus I can see us signing a guy after this season. 

Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Santiago, Tropeano is what our rotation will most likely look like in 2017, with a possibility of a FA signing in there. Alcantara, Smith to provide depth. 

Pujols will be our full time DH. Can Choi or Cron be our full time 1B? If not we'll most likely fill the spot via FA or a trade.

I think we're fine at catcher and if Cowart has yet another good season in AAA, we can pencil him down as our 3B going forward. Another young guy. 

I also like the prospects of our future bullpen guys. Mahle showed me a lot this past spring and our entire AAA bullpen is solid. 

Giavotella looks like he can be our every day 2B going forward with improved defense. 

I really don't see all the holes you're referring to Claude.

I still think our SP depth is fine, plus I can see us signing a guy after this season.

Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Santiago, Tropeano is what our rotation will most likely look like in 2017, with a possibility of a FA signing in there. Alcantara, Smith to provide depth.

Pujols will be our full time DH. Can Choi or Cron be our full time 1B? If not we'll most likely fill the spot via FA or a trade.

I think we're fine at catcher and if Cowart has yet another good season in AAA, we can pencil him down as our 3B going forward. Another young guy.

I also like the prospects of our future bullpen guys. Mahle showed me a lot this past spring and our entire AAA bullpen is solid.

Giavotella looks like he can be our every day 2B going forward with improved defense.

I'm hoping Baldoquin lights up Cal League this year and adjusts to playing second well. If he does that he could be threatening Gia as soon as next year.

Guys like Bedrosian, Tropeano, Ortega, Choi, Kubitza and Cowart - even if just one of them takes a big step forward it could really do a lot for the club.

I would still be concerned about the rotation though. If I was a GM I'd run under the assumption year in and year out that I was going to lose a guy for 18 months to TJS.

Edited by totdprods

This is what I mean. We simply have too many holes.

Our top prospects aren't good enough to fill even one of these holes in my opinion.

Trading our prospects is part of the reason why we're in such a mess. It bloats payroll and restricts flexibility to make moves that fit team needs. It just isn't a sustainable practice.

And on a personal level it sucks to watch guys like Corbin, Grichuk, Clevinger, Smith, Segura, Newcomb, Ellis and others grow into good and in some cases very good major leaguers knowing full well that our team could now desperately use that asset we gave away.

If the Angels keep this up, we'll never have a rebuilt farm and our team will only continue to get more expensive.

Trading our prospects is part of the reason why we're in such a mess. It bloats payroll and restricts flexibility to make moves that fit team needs. It just isn't a sustainable practice.

And on a personal level it sucks to watch guys like Corbin, Grichuk, Clevinger, Smith, Segura, Newcomb, Ellis and others grow into good and in some cases very good major leaguers knowing full well that our team could now desperately use that asset we gave away.

If the Angels keep this up, we'll never have a rebuilt farm and our team will only continue to get more expensive.

Smith?

Also, of all the ones you mentioned only Corbin and maybe Grichuk have been anything great so far in the big leagues, though Grichuk was recently benched in the opening week for sucking big time. Segura was awful the past two seasons. Maybe after his good spring he turns it around? 

Clevinger, Newcomb and Ellis haven't even cracked the big leagues yet. 

You can look at it the way you did, or also look at it this way.

We held on to Brandon Wood, Dallas McPherson, Jeff Mathis, Aybar, Ervin Santana and a few others too long where their trade value either diminished or they were just a throw in. 

Everyone loved the Corbin/Skaggs for Haren trade at the time. Everyone also loved the Marek/Kotchman for Tex trade. It can go both ways. BTW, for a half season of Greinke that gave us a shot at the playoffs for the likes of Segura (Hellweg and Pena suck) it was worth it. 

What I proposed wasn't trading a prospect for an older vet, but a younger active player or a top prospect playing a position of weakness in our farm.