• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Fletcher or Sherman Johnson. There was also some talk about Thaiss learning 2B last offseason. The Angels may also draft a middle infielder here in a month.

They seem to be linked to Jordon Adell a lot and Jeren Kendall now that he's had a bit of a rough year and might last until the 10th pick.  Adell has been skyrocketing up most mock drafts -- so, it will be interesting to see if the Angels actually get a shot at him.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Don't we need a polished college pitcher, with all of these injuries to the staff?

We get Tropeano,  Heaney back...plus we have some guys coming up soon (N. Smith, Long, Barrios). Skaggs arm is fine which is good and he was throwing like an ACE before he hurt his side. Richards is a big question mark. 

I say you go offense. Calhoun is Calhoun, but he's not a big difference maker on offense. Outside of Trout, we don't have another stud to pair him with on the offensive side. 

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Don't we need a polished college pitcher, with all of these injuries to the staff?

This organization needs the best talent it can get, whether that's through high school or college players. There are a lot of scenarios where the Angels could grab someone with high upside at 10(Lewis, Gore, Wright could potentially fall). It's also not a bad idea to go underslot at #10 like they did last year with Thaiss and grab a bunch of talent after the 1st round. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Baseball teams that pick need over BTA tend to hate themselves three years later...    A guy like Adell is high risk high reward -- but he's the sort of head turning raw talent that if you get a chance at him, you'd be silly not to take it.    He's got legit HR power already and a cannon..   From what I've read he runs extremely well too.   

The knock on him was he had a bit of a long swing but most reports this year say his bat has taken a HUGE step forward.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Baseball teams that pick need over BTA tend to hate themselves three years later...    A guy like Adell is high risk high reward -- but he's the sort of head turning raw talent that if you get a chance at him, you'd be silly not to take it.    He's got legit HR power already and a cannon..   From what I've read he runs extremely well too.   

The knock on him was he had a bit of a long swing but most reports this year say his bat has taken a HUGE step forward.

Lots of tools. I'm sure he'll go before us though. Hope he slips to us. 

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2017/5/10/15588998/2017-phillies-draft-preview-jordon-adell-of

19 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

They seem to be linked to Jordon Adell a lot and Jeren Kendall now that he's had a bit of a rough year and might last until the 10th pick.  Adell has been skyrocketing up most mock drafts -- so, it will be interesting to see if the Angels actually get a shot at him.

I can almost guarantee Jo Adell won't make it to the 10th pick in the draft. That kid looks like Jeyson Heyward, except stronger and faster and he's only 18. If he makes it to the 10th pick, thank your lucky stars because the Angels just drafted a future superstar that'll be in the league by his 22nd birthday.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I say you go offense. Calhoun is Calhoun, but he's not a big difference maker on offense. Outside of Trout, we don't have another stud to pair him with on the offensive side. 

I see Chuck forgot about this stud...

IMG_1247.JPG

37 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I can almost guarantee Jo Adell won't make it to the 10th pick in the draft. That kid looks like Jeyson Heyward, except stronger and faster and he's only 18. If he makes it to the 10th pick, thank your lucky stars because the Angels just drafted a future superstar that'll be in the league by his 22nd birthday.

I was hoping early on -- then he went out and blew the doors off his competition and now it seems like a longshot....   

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I was hoping early on -- then he went out and blew the doors off his competition and now it seems like a longshot....   

How many of these toolsy guys really fulfil their potential though?

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

How many of these toolsy guys really fulfil their potential though?

That's always going to be the question, but also sort of why he's seen such a rapid rise this year..   He's gone from super raw to really tapping into his power as an 18 year old.  Some are making Gallo level power comparisons and he's shortened his swing a great deal to where there is less concern he will have similar contact issues.   Adell last year and Adell this year seem like two different people -- that sort of advancement in one calendar year is uncommon.   There is also a great deal of talk about his work ethic being off the charts...

Basically, he's already at the extreme end of the power tool spectrum and some say his hit tool has gone up two full grades this season.  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

That's always going to be the question, but also sort of why he's seen such a rapid rise this year..   He's gone from super raw to really tapping into his power as an 18 year old.  Some are making Gallo level power comparisons and he's shortened his swing a great deal to where there is less concern he will have similar contact issues.   Adell last year and Adell this year seem like two different people -- that sort of advancement in one calendar year is uncommon.   There is also a great deal of talk about his work ethic being off the charts...

Basically, he's already at the extreme end of the power tool spectrum and some say his hit tool has gone up two full grades this season.  

The Angels need to trade up like in the NFL to get this guy. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Angels need to trade up like in the NFL to get this guy. 

I really wish they'd allow draft pick trading it just makes so much sense and allows teams much greater flexibility in building for specific windows of contention. For example maybe Team A thinks they are really ready to compete next season and they sacrifice their 1st round and 3rd round picks to trade for a MLB player. It would just create a nice dynamic and would make the draft a lot more interesting to watch as Chuck indicated.

9 minutes ago, ettin said:

I really wish they'd allow draft pick trading it just makes so much sense and allows teams much greater flexibility in building for specific windows of contention. For example maybe Team A thinks they are really ready to compete next season and they sacrifice their 1st round and 3rd round picks to trade for a MLB player. It would just create a nice dynamic and would make the draft a lot more interesting to watch as Chuck indicated.

It would also make the draft more enjoyable for its viewers, just like the NFL draft. 

What if a team doesn't have the prospects to get a trade done, but they have a top 5 pick in next year's draft? I could easily see that team trading away its top pick the following year for a player that will help them win it NOW. 

I'd like Tanner Houck, and I also wouldn't mind Randall Romero (assuming you clear him psychologically). I'm going to be cheering for Michael Gigliotti, as I am Lipscomb Alumn and it's wicked cool to see a player that has a chance to be a top-20 pick (though 10 is probably too high for him, sadly). I think the Angels are in a great position, because I think that if the draft goes chalk then they should have some good hitters there for the taking, and if the hitters go a little early one of the great group of pitchers could fall to them. While I think we'd all love a Majors-ready pitcher to come in and be our #3 starter next year, we aren't a good enough system yet to be that choosy.

When your worst-case scenario is "one of a great group of college pitching," the Angels are in a great position to strike on Draft day. 

Also: If we don't draft "Brock Deatherage" in the 2nd round, I am going to lose my faith in humanity. That is a terrific name. 

Does anyone have the full article of this? http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7049

In the tease, he wrote this: 

But at that point, it starts to get fuzzy. I’ve heard Shane Baz with Philadelphia a few times. The same with Jordon Adell and the Angels. I’m also pretty sure I’ve heard 12 players identified as "definitely going in the top 10," which I believe would require some sort of non-Euclidean draft math.

On 5/12/2017 at 2:40 PM, Chuckster70 said:

It would also make the draft more enjoyable for its viewers, just like the NFL draft. 

What if a team doesn't have the prospects to get a trade done, but they have a top 5 pick in next year's draft? I could easily see that team trading away its top pick the following year for a player that will help them win it NOW. 

Chuck, here's the problem with that--there have been what, 19 players drafted who went straight to the Majors? that's in about 50 years, with 50 rounds for most of that time AND in many years, 2 sets of drafts . . . Unlike every other major sport, you really can't draft for need in baseball (which I am actually in favor of--unlike the other sports, there really isn't a defined build and type to play baseball, just ask Altuve). So, why would you trade your future higher pick for one this year that may or may not pan out in 3-5 years?

5 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I'd like Tanner Houck, and I also wouldn't mind Randall Romero (assuming you clear him psychologically). I'm going to be cheering for Michael Gigliotti, as I am Lipscomb Alumn and it's wicked cool to see a player that has a chance to be a top-20 pick (though 10 is probably too high for him, sadly). I think the Angels are in a great position, because I think that if the draft goes chalk then they should have some good hitters there for the taking, and if the hitters go a little early one of the great group of pitchers could fall to them. While I think we'd all love a Majors-ready pitcher to come in and be our #3 starter next year, we aren't a good enough system yet to be that choosy.

When your worst-case scenario is "one of a great group of college pitching," the Angels are in a great position to strike on Draft day. 

Also: If we don't draft "Brock Deatherage" in the 2nd round, I am going to lose my faith in humanity. That is a terrific name. 

Is that Ace Ventura's nephew?

• Chuck featured and pinned this topic

Angels RHP Chris Rodriguez 93-96, mvmt, missed bats w/ all four pitches. Hard mid-80s slider, slurvy but tight low-80s curve, diving change.

Chris Rodriguez 93-97 w/ life; quick arm, decent athlete w/ limited projection. 6 potential SL, CH; SL feel advanced. Competitor w/ poise

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Angels RHP Chris Rodriguez 93-96, mvmt, missed bats w/ all four pitches. Hard mid-80s slider, slurvy but tight low-80s curve, diving change.

Chris Rodriguez 93-97 w/ life; quick arm, decent athlete w/ limited projection. 6 potential SL, CH; SL feel advanced. Competitor w/ poise

Pretty much mirrors everything we've been saying. It's likely our first pick in the draft will be our new number one prospect (which says something when that happens every year), and it's likely our second pick will also be a top five prospect. But Chris Rodriguez could very well sneak into the top 5 as well. I mean mid-90's fastball with life, good slider, good change up, good control, athletic. Sounds like Taijuan Walker.