• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When will the 25 man roster be set?

I don't think Ortega or Cunningham make the roster -- and they shouldn't -- would be terrible to have them sitting the pine on the big club when they could be playing every day probably at AA --

Choi is an interesting choice -- another Rule 5 guy -- the Rule 5 stuff has not worked out well for us -- we wasted a roster spot all last season on Featherston who we promptly gave away as one of the first transactions of the off-season and then the guy who took his spot on the 40 man roster failed a physical or something.

I think Choi staying may be contingent on the Angels keeping 13 pitchers to start the season -- they might but I also think Weaver may start the season on the DL - he won't start until mid-April as it is now anyway.

Who are the bubble guys? Choi, Pennington ? Bedrosian?

I'd like to see Ortega and Cunningham kept on the roster, but wouldn't that give us six outfielders?

Sure but who are you going to leave off the 25 man roster in their places? There's only one non-pitching spot left on the roster. Choi, Ortega, and Cunningham are all competing for that one. 

Barring any shockers, the 25 man roster should be something like this:

SP: Richards, Heaney, Weaver, Santiago, Shoemaker 

RP: Street, Smith, Salsa, Morin, Rasmus, Alvarez, Bedrosian/Mahle

C: Perez, Soto

1B: Pujols, Cron, Choi

2B: Gia

3B: Escobar

SS: Simmons, Pennington

LF: Nava, Gentry

CF: Trout

RF: Calhoun

It could get interesting if they decide to start with 4 starters. Then they'd probably take an extra reliever or maybe Ortega/Cunningham.

yes. Pennington is the key utility guy who may be called upon to play more games than anticipated.

I could see him spelling Escobar in the late innings at 3B and starting some games both at 3B and at 2B.

and, unless he gets hurt, I see Simmons as one of those guys who plays 161 to 162 games at SS not missing much time - ever.

I think the prior listing of the 25 is accurate with the issue being if Weaver starts the season on the DL -- which I think is a real possibility.......that probably means they keep Bedrosian and Mahle then and delay that decision until the week of April 10 when Weaver gets his first start of the season as the team's fifth starter.

another -- not bubble - but 4-A guy at SLC is Tropeano who starts today and is a plane flight away from making spot starts.

does anyone think CJ Wilson will be ready anytime soon.

Tyler Skaggs probably on the roster - off the DL -- by May 1 but he'll be a closely watched pitch count starter for 2016.

also, the Angels just acquired Shane Robinson and if he doesn't make the opening day roster, he'll likely be up on the big team by May 1 if not sooner.

That places Nava or Gentry's roster spot in jeopardy I would think.

They'll be keeping Choi, you can tell how highly they value him by the fact that they keep getting him reps in LF and at the top and middle of the order. Once he settled in, he'll make a valuable asset late in games.

I love Ortega and like Cunningham, but their skill sets are redundant with Gentry already serving as our 4th OF.

That may set the roster, though that part is unclear. Weaver could start year on the DL, allowing Angels to keep Bedrosian and Mahle.

2. Angels optioned Jefry Marte, Rey Navarro and Rafael Ortega to AAA. Todd Cunningham cleared waivers, outrighted. Seems Ji-Man Choi made team.

0 retweets 0 likes

Looks like Ji-Man Choi got the last bench spot. Marte, Navarro, Ortega optioned. Cunningham cleared waivers, outrighted to AAA.

Ortega, Navarro, Marte, and Cunnigham are being sent down.  Cunningham has already cleared waivers, and has accepted the outright assignment (I guess).  Choi, with his 200avg will be there opening day.

The extra bullpen slot is going to either Bedriosian, or Mahle.  If Weaver starts on the DL, then maybe both will stay... So I read.