• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Texas Reaches Out To Ian Desmond

nando714

A good chunk of Desmond's value is as a SS or at least a non 1b infielder.  

He's probably not as bad as he was in the first half of last year but he's not deserving of the 100mil he turned down and that value comes down if he's moved to a corner OF.  

So paying something like 4/60 for him to play LF isn't really a the great deal you'd be getting if he were to play SS, 2b or 3b.  

Frankly, if you can get him on a 3yr deal for about 40-50mil, then it's worth the pick because he instantly becomes a tradeable asset at that price.  If after the first year you want to trade him, he's only got 2/30 left and you can easily get a player or two that would be worth that pick.  

He does have some bust potential, but at that price you could be getting a .750 ops middle infielder 

The bust potential is real, and that's why he is still on the market. No one wants to lose a draft pick that might end up being the better player.

You would give up a draft pick for a one year deal?

Depends on the team I have on the field. Also depends on my other draft picks. Lastly it depends on the perception of the quality of the draft. If I thought my team was that one player away from the playoffs I certainly wouldn't hesitate. I

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/ian-desmond-texas-rangers-bet-on-himself-and-it-cost-him-nearly-100-million

Former Nats general manager Jim Bowden said he’s “never seen a worse contract for a player.”

“That’s a shocking number,” Bowden added. “What a great job by [Rangers general manager] Jon Daniels to hang around long enough to get Desmond for one year at eight. So he went from 107 million to losing 99 million over the last 12 months? You want to talk about a humbling sport?”

Not sure where people are getting this steady 4 year decline. He had a down year last year but the previous 3 were pretty strong offensive seasons.

Yeah, this. He averaged 4.5 WAR a year from 2012-2014, it was only last year that was bad. You know damn well that he's going to play lights out this year to get some of that $92m he left on the table back, great move by the Rangers.

Not sure where people are getting this steady 4 year decline. He had a down year last year but the previous 3 were pretty strong offensive seasons.

They are likely referring to his offensive slide which has been masked some by his power and the lineup he's been in.  His OPS+ the last for years has gone 125, 113, 103, 80 -- that's a pretty steep and steady decline over a four year sample.   Despite that he's still been a valuable player.... the power is real and defensively he's been a plus player at SS.

As Doc said, his value/WAR would take a pretty sizeable hit if he is moved off SS.   

He should fire his agent.  Turned down $107M/7 years for a 1 year/$8MIL lol

I don't have any sympathy for Desmond making 'only' $8 mil this year, but there is an angle that hasn't been addressed: That offer by the Nats was below market, given his age, production, etc.  The Player's Union puts pressure on players in that position to not accept offers like that.

• 3 months later...