• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Left Field - Four Options

Angelsjunky

By the way, here the Fangraphs "Steamer" projections for the various outfield options:

Cespedes: .266/.312/.473, 27 HR, 3.1 WAR

Upton: .251/.336/.454, 26 HR, 3.6 WAR

Gordon: .265/.351/.428, 18 HR, 3.5 WAR

Fowler: .250/.347/.387, 12 HR, 1.7 WAR

Parra: .267/.315/.394, 10 HR, 1.0 WAR

Span: .278/.337/.392, 7 HR, 2.2 WAR

While projection systems tend to be conservative, there's not a whole lot to get excited about there.

Of the bottom three, Steamer likes Span most - although might not take into account his injury. Still, he could be a good buy-low candidate.

Boras is insisting on a three year deal for Span. There's been no word on if/when/the results of the supposed workoutSpan was going to have for teams.

I think because of his agent, Span won't be te bargain he probably should be.

And I think there's a decent chance that Upton, Gordon and Cespedes all end up being 4-5 win players next year.

Day 12 of FA LFs held hostage

Okay agents, you will have to consider the possibility of bringing your demands down if your players are still unsigned a month from now.

And MLBPA, don't even THINK about yelling collusion.   

Not with a few others getting big contracts.   This ain't the late 1980s, when very few FAs moved that one year. 

I have this recurring dream where Albert decides he's not gonna worry about hitting home runs. He just goes out and does his best to get on base. He spends the remainder of his contract spraying the ball to all fields hitting .285 with 50 dbls, 20hrs and a .360obp.

Then I wake up and realize he is much more likely to never play a full season for the remainder of his contract.

Every few months I post something about the hope that the light will go on for him and he will realize that the thing he thinks is furthering his legacy is actually what is killing it. Funny thing is I still thinks it's in there. Or at least a lesser version of the guy that hit doubles to the right center gap instead of roll over grounders to 3b or the guy that spit on pitches out of the zone instead of rolling them over to 3b. The game was his and it came right to him.

Secretly I keep hoping that somehow someone tells him no one cares about how many hrs he hits.

Same here. We saw him do this for that month and a half last year where he went on that crazy stretch. It's a combination of declining skills, health issues and pride. Changing defensive alignments have also put a huge dent in his BABIP. When he is feeling healthy he seems more confident in his ability to hit the ball the other way. When he's pressing he's focused almost entirely on maximizing his ability to hit the ball out of the park. He is usually pressing.

The more I think about it the more I come back to Cespedes.  He would be the perfect #4 hitter behind Trout.  He makes contact and has a lot of power.  Doesn't have high OBP but you don't need that as a clean up hitter.  Has the highest slugging percentage out of all the FA OFs.

I was adamantly against Cespedes earlier in the offseason, but at this point I don't care. It's probably a stupid signing but I'd be happy with anybody that gives us a shot to compete. Unfortunately I still have no idea how to evaluate the direction the franchise is going in, and whether or not signing Cespedes is a 'good move.'

Day 12 of FA LFs held hostage

Okay agents, you will have to consider the possibility of bringing your demands down if your players are still unsigned a month from now.

And MLBPA, don't even THINK about yelling collusion.   

Not with a few others getting big contracts.   This ain't the late 1980s, when very few FAs moved that one year. 

I'm not yelling collusion at all but you have to really start speculating about the possibility of some hard negotiations over the upcoming CBA.

The more I think about it the more I come back to Cespedes.  He would be the perfect #4 hitter behind Trout.  He makes contact and has a lot of power.  Doesn't have high OBP but you don't need that as a clean up hitter.  Has the highest slugging percentage out of all the FA OFs.

and oh yeah he's a Gold Glover

I read that Angels are still in the mix for Cespedes

Check his numbers with RISP. Over a full season he will drive in 100 easily.

I thought, I could be wrong, that risp batting average was one of those stats that fluctuate year to year? Am I wrong or misinformed. I've seen you mention it a few times and I know you look at stats more than I do.

I thought, I could be wrong, that risp batting average was one of those stats that fluctuate year to year? Am I wrong or misinformed. I've seen you mention it a few times and I know you look at stats more than I do.

From looking at most players stats that doesnt seem to be the case.  Usually a good offensive player will have his numbers increase with runners on or in scoring position.  I use ESPN's player profiles to look at stats and they have a thing where it shows player splits for the last 3 years.  Alex Gordon is one that I just looked at the other day.  Over the last 3 years with none on, his OPS is .710.  With runners on, .874, RISP is .923.  That made me really convinced that this is a guy the Angels should target.  Calhoun over the last 3 years, OPS with none on is .725, runners on its .816, RISP its .819.  He obviously performs a lot better with runners on base or in scoring position, this isnt a small sample size either.  For Trout its the same thing, with runners on or in scoring position his OPS higher than it is with none on.  Obviously they are facing pitchers from the stretch rather than their normal wind up, which always helps.  But with runners on or in scoring position it puts a lot of pressure on the pitcher, and great offensive players get locked in when they have a chance to drive in runs.  For some players you can notice just from watching them over the course of a season how their approach changes when there is someone on base.  Calhoun is one of those players, and the numbers support that when theres a chance to drive in runs he usually succeeds.  In order to maximize his value, we need guys on in front of him.  Which is why for a long time ive wanted Calhoun batting behind Trout, and to put an OBP guy in front of Trout instead.  Calhoun would benefit enormously from Trout's .400 OBP, and he might finally reach his all star potential.

I agree, but I'm guessing he's going to have those three at #7-9 unless the Angels bring in a better 2B and push Escobar back.

Regardless, Trout SHOULD be at #2 or #4, but Scioscia is still living in the 80s.

For lack of better options. I don't like it either. I'd be happy with Cespedes or Trout there, too. Of course Mike will put Pujols there.

I agree with everything you said.

Sorry.