• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone think that maybe Eppler is working on another big trade?

beatlesrule

Simmons came out of nowhere.  With no big FA signing yet and the high cost of pitching, isn't it reasonable to think that maybe he is working on a big trade?  How about Heaney, Santiago, Cowart and Kubitza(EDIT and Calhoun and Cron and Skaggs apparently) for Machado or Nolan Arenado or maybe a stud OF?  The Angels have 8 potential SP so why not use that surplus to get some players this team needs?  Obviously, maybe those big name 3rd baseman aren't available or would take more players but my point is, NO ONE here saw or knew that Simmons would be an Angel so maybe something more is brewing with Eppler than we are reading about or assuming. It might not just be FA he is trying to get.

Eppler could trade 2 of our SP away and still leave us with 6 of them to battle for 5 spots.  I have a hard time believing that we will go into the season with 8 potential SPers seeing how much pitchers are getting paid this offseason.  Dipoto left Eppler with some good trade chips.  Combine that with signing one of Heyward, Upton, Cespedes etc and the Angels will be looking good.

Edited by beatlesrule

Simmons came out of nowhere.  With no big FA signing yet and the high cost of pitching, isn't it reasonable to think that maybe he is working on a big trade?  How about Heaney, Santiago, Cowart and Kubitza for Machado or Nolan Arenado or maybe a stud OF?  The Angels have 8 potential SP so why not use that surplus to get some players this team needs? 

The only people who see any value in Santiago, Cowart and Kubitza are angels fans.

Machado is cost controlled, young and already a top 10 player. wtf dude.

Edited by Poozy

Just an example.  Include Heaney and Skaggs then in a trade if Santiago and his 3.50 era are trash.  I even stated that those players aren't likely to be going anywhere.  Just some outside of the box thinking that it seems many aren't doing here.  It seems like it's FA or bust with the majority of the posters.

Offer Heaney, Skaggs, Gott, Cowart and some other young prospect we have to the O's or Rockies and see what they say.

Edited by beatlesrule

I definitely think an out of nowhere trade could be works.

Aside from the obvious trade pieces, Heaney, Skaggs, Cron, and even Calhoun or Perez could be part of something big.

One of the beat writers mentioned they may take a reliever or catcher in the Rule V tomorrow.

Conceivably, and I'm not really advocating or favoring it, Soto could be an everyday catcher with a Rule V backing up. Angels were rumored to have interest in Saltalamacchia before he signed (I think that was just before they signed Soto) and with Bandy and Ward on the farm, they could cash in on Perez.

I wouldn't have Calhoun as an untouchable either. If you can sign Parra, Span, Fowler, Murphy and maybe Gordon/Cespedes, Calhoun could bring in a good return, especially coupled with some starting pitching.

Just an example.  Include Heaney and Skaggs then in a trade if Santiago and his 3.50 era are trash.  I even stated that those players aren't likely to be going anywhere.  Just some outside of the box thinking that it seems many aren't doing here.  It seems like it's FA or bust with the majority of the posters.

Still..that example was pretty damn absurd man.

Offer Heaney, Skaggs, Gott, Cowart and some other young prospect we have to the O's or Rockies and see what they say.

Not trying to be a dick here, but *trade suggestion for one of the best players in baseball* isn't really "outside the box thinking". We'd all shit our britches for Machado but there isn't a scenario that would even remotely work with regards to the Angels.

Still..that example was pretty damn absurd man.

Then Include Cron or Calhoun for God's sake.  If you honestly think that Heaney, Skaggs, Santiago, Cron, Gott, Calhoun for MM or Arenado is not even close to fair, that's on you.  You are acting like the Angels have only 2 good players or something.  Sheesh.

Edited by beatlesrule

Not trying to be a dick here, but *trade suggestion for one of the best players in baseball* isn't really "outside the box thinking". We'd all shit our britches for Machado but there isn't a scenario that would even remotely work with regards to the Angels.

Oh dear, it was just an example.  3rd base needs to be filled.  Many here don't want Freese or Cowart or Kubitza.  I merely suggested a big trade for a 3rd baseman that would go with the young movement Eppler has talked about. I would think the O's would listen if we offered them like 6 players for MM.

Then Include Cron or Calhoun for God's sake.  If you honestly think that Heaney, Skaggs, Santiago, Cron, Gott, Calhoun for MM or Arenado is not even close to fair, that's on you.  You are acting like the Angels have only 2 good players or something.  Sheesh.

Well ok. That's closer to a fair trade. But would you really give up all that for one player?

Then the Angels have just 5 SP and 2 giant holes in the OF instead of 1. You make trades like that with stuff you can afford to lose. The Angels have some good pieces, but bundling literally all of them together to fix one single hole is not smart at all.

Sign FA to fill in whatever you traded.  The Angels have a once in generation player.  They need to be going all in.  All of this is pointless though if the owner doesn't want to go over the luxury tax.

I am amazed that Santiago gets as much hate here as he does. The dude was an All-Star last year.  If all you "experts" are correct about him, sell high.  Teams like to have 27 year old All-Stars playing for them.

Edited by beatlesrule

If I could get a team like the Yankees to take all, or almost all of CJ's salary ($20m) plus Calhoun ($4m) for Gardner ($12.5m), Refsnyder, and another decent prospect or two, it'd allow you to put Gardner in left and leadoff, drop Refsnyder at second, put a prospect or two on the farm, and still have $27m to spend on Heyward/Cespedes/Upton/Gordon for right field.

**Just a hypothetical**

Edited by totdprods

Well ok. That's closer to a fair trade. But would you really give up all that for one player?

Then the Angels have just 5 SP and 2 giant holes in the OF instead of 1. You make trades like that with stuff you can afford to lose. The Angels have some good pieces, but bundling literally all of them together to fix one single hole is not smart at all.

Especially if trading Calhoun will just make another hole

I am amazed that Santiago gets as much hate here as he does. The dude was an All-Star last year.  If all you "experts" are correct about him, sell high.  Teams like to have 27 year old All-Stars playing for them.

He had a 5.5 ERA after the all star break. The time to sell high was last year at the break

We just don't have the pieces for these kinds of trades. You gotta remember, if these players are available other teams will be interested. There in lies the problem, we don't have the resources to create compelling trades vs. what other teams can offer. I mean look at what Shelby Miller just netted. Imagine The insane haul an elite 3b like arenado would get. The compelling players we do have - Trout, Calhoun, Richards - can't be moved because there is literally no one to replace them. You just create another hole. It's just how it is man. Trading for a real good player has never been a real option for us after we fired our shots to get Simmons.

Edited by UndertheHalo

We essentially have 3 positions to fill (LF, 3B, and 2B).  The question could come down to whether we want to fill one of them with one 6+ WAR player, and get by with what we have on the other two, or three 2 WAR players.  If the budget is constraining Eppler, he may have to go the 3 position, 2 WAR route rather than the big splash, because it is likely cheaper.

I think his biggest problem at the moment is he's trying to get two 2 WAR position players, and also trying to get the 6+ WAR player locked up, and it's too expensive.  So he's trying to exploit the trade market.  Giving up prospects are one way to increase overall team WAR now, but we don't have prospects left to use really.  A fair trade assumes you're going to give as much WAR as you get.

Am I thinking about that correctly, or not?

Also, people on this site are way to ready to trade one of the pitchers -literally the place with marginal depth - most of our guys are un established. We will need the 8 pitchers to figure out which ones can put together a good rotation. Trade CJ if possible, his value is low. Trade Santiago if the other team over pays. That's how it should be approached.

I didn't deem Richards untouchable early in offseason because I still thought he'd bring in two hitter prospects for either OF or IF that could plug in immediately. David Peralta, Ender Inciarte, Jake Lamb - look at what the D'Backs gave up for Miller. We wouldn't have gotten a package that insane, but they could have overpaid for Richards still and we could have acquired two good cheap bats at positions we are looking to sign a FA for. That money would have then just been used to sign a pitcher to replace Richards. Cueto, Zimmerman, Maeda, Leake, Gallardo, etc.

I don't see a clear fit any longer for GRich, and with our improved defense and lack of righty starters, he's staying, but Heaney or Skaggs could be moved. We can still sign Chen, who I feel is comparable to what Heaney could become. And Heaney could probably return a stud bat at second, third, or outfield.

Edited by totdprods

Also, people on this site are way to ready to trade one of the pitchers -literally the place with marginal depth - most of our guys are un established. We will need the 8 pitchers to figure out which ones can put together a good rotation. Trade CJ if possible, his value is low. Trade Santiago if the other team over pays. That's how it should be approached.

I was all for trading someone like Heaney, but then we traded Newcomb for a player we didn't need...

I think they need to keep the rest of their young and cheap SP now.

Well other than Santiago..He can go...

Edited by Poozy

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/john-coppolella-on-trading-andrelton-simmons-and-more/

Im sure this article has been posted before just talking about how the Simmons trade came about. Mentions how the Yankees made a run at him last year but what sticks out to me is that Eppler called during the first week of the offseason. Is it possible that Eppler just really likes Simmons and was going to do whatever it took to get him?

Just mentioning this because some here think there's no way you do the Simmons trade unless you go all in but I'm not so sure Simmons just isn't Eppler's "guy". I mean, he filled zero needs and gutted our farm. It's really hard to figure out what the hell Eppler is doing right now