• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your Ideal, Realistic Bench for 2016

Stradling

For me it is simple:

Pennington

Gentry

Bandy (or other servicable back up catcher)

Morneau

Kubitza/Cowart

I want the good to great back up middle infielder

I want the guy that can pinch run and play all outfield positions and can get a bunt down if needed

I want the power bat off the bench and the guy that could give Albert/Cron a day off and we don't lose anything offensively

I want Cowart or Kubitza to be the starter the other to be available if the other can't cut it

We need a back up catcher

Hard to have a five man bench in the American League since one of the spots is consumed by DH along with the 12-man pitching staff. Pennington is obviously the utility infielder who comes in late to replace Giavotella, acts as insurance for Simmons (a luxury), and gives them depth at third in case they go with a young gun. I'm more in favor of giving Bandy a full time gig, so I'm sending him down to Salt Lake, and signing Soto, or flipping Salas for Ryan Hanigan from Boston. I'd non-tender Cowgill, save the $1.3ish million, and sign Rajai Davis or Chris Young to be the fourth outfielders/lefty mashers (especially key since I have Heyward in my outfield dream/plan along with Kole who could use some insurance in that regard as well). And then I'd probably be pretty content with letting others already within the org fight for the last spot. I could see taking a flier on Bonifacio too.

Pennington, Soto/Hanigan, Davis/Young, and Navarro/Bonifacio/Kubitza etc.

I couldn't complain with that. 

If we signed another right-handed hitter in the outfield, I'd maybe look at a lefty/switch 4th OFer instead of Gentry. Maybe. Depends on how the rest shakes out. I also feel Jaso could also fill Morneau's slot.

I'd also strongly consider Steve Pearce; he's killed lefties, can play COF, 1B, 2B, and 3B, and wouldn't be too expensive to sign. 

It's all dependent on whatever else happens, but I'd view Pearce as the compliment to Pennington. One is there for defense, the other for lefties and offense.

If we acquire a COFer who can also back up CF (Heyward, Cespedes to a degree) I think that also changes up the needs of the bench.

Jaso is pretty solid offensively overall. His catching days seem to be over, but he'd make a great DH/1B/PH type who could probably play LF/RF in a pinch, and perhaps be the emergency C.

I also think one, maybe two, of Gia, Cowart, and Kubitza get dealt. I think both 2B and 3B get new acquisitions for '16.

Edited by totdprods

Also, building a good bench can go past the 25man. Whoever we place on our bench, I'd almost want a lesser player with similar skills on standby in SLC.

I think the bench killed us last year and it really has been weak for awhile.

I'd maybe rather they overpay to stock AAA with solid minor league FA's and big-leaguers on minor league deals than overpaying for one player.

Edited by totdprods

Pennington 

Gentry

Avila

Steve Pearce

I wouldn't stash cowart or kubitza on the bench.  I'd let them fight it out in spring and then the loser gets optioned.  I would prefer to give Cowart the job outright because of his stellar D.  

I would also consider having Kubitza work on his 1b skills and platoon him with Pearce while Pujols is on the DL.  I would take Cron's glove and light it on fire and then put the remains in the Mariana trench.   

Pennington

Gentry

Avila

Steve Pearce

I wouldn't stash cowart or kubitza on the bench. I'd let them fight it out in spring and then the loser gets optioned. I would prefer to give Cowart the job outright because of his stellar D.

I would also consider having Kubitza work on his 1b skills and platoon him with Pearce while Pujols is on the DL. I would take Cron's glove and light it on fire and then put the remains in the Mariana trench.

If Kubitza doesn't win a starting job or get traded, I'd like to see him take a 1b/2b/3b/LF utility role at SLC. If he can become adequate defensively at those positions and meet his offensive expectations, he could become a big piece of this team next few years.

Only thing that spooks me about Avila is I could see Scioscia playing the match-up game way too often with him, and if he hits as bad as he has recently it'd be Mathis all over again.

If Kubitza doesn't win a starting job or get traded, I'd like to see him take a 1b/2b/3b/LF utility role at SLC. If he can become adequate defensively at those positions and meet his offensive expectations, he could become a big piece of this team next few years.

Only thing that spooks me about Avila is I could see Scioscia playing the match-up game way too often with him, and if he hits as bad as he has recently it'd be Mathis all over again.

his platoon splits are actually pretty good and you can't expect perez to play everyday, so it's likely that any backup catcher we have is gonna potentially suck at hitting and we will be at risk for the MS match up game.  There really isn't any way around it.  

I like Avila because he's a solid defender, is LHed and can play some 1b.  Even if he doesn't hit for much of an average, he's gonna get his walks.  He's kinda like a lefty Iannetta.  Plus, he's got some pop and with his ability to get on base, he could pinch walk and then you let Gentry pinch run.