• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Justin Morneau

wopphil

Is someone we haven't talked about much on here, but is probably someone the Angels should pursue if the price is right. He can spell Pujols at first, and is a much better defender than Cron. He has a 112 OPS+ the last three years, with a .345 OBP. And he provides left-handed balance.

His health is obviously a concern. He was healthy in 2013 and 2014, but not so much last year. That of course should reduce his price though.

I'd be down with him as a platoon partner for Cron, pop off the bench, 1B guy. He's had injury troubles yes, but that'll keep his price down and he still manages to hit for average well and walk, even if his power has lessened.

A good left-handed vet with pop on the bench would be so nice.

I'd be down with him as a platoon partner for Cron, pop off the bench, 1B guy. He's had injury troubles yes, but that'll keep his price down and he still manages to hit for average well and walk, even if his power has lessened.

A good left-handed vet with pop on the bench would be so nice.

But we already have a platoon at 1B.

Between how fragile both Morneau and Pujols are, and how limited Cron is defensively, I don't think playing time would overlap too bad. I think Morneau is still solid with the glove, and I can't remember the last time the Angels had a bat off the bench that was a threat to go deep. He'd basically take the place of Navarro - lefty bat with a good eye. He can't play COF like Navarro, and glove isn't as solid, but his bat plays much better. And if the bench had a good defensive OFer or two, I don't think we'd lose much without Efren on the bench.

Jaso would work just as well. 

Between how fragile both Morneau and Pujols are, and how limited Cron is defensively, I don't think playing time would overlap too bad. I think Morneau is still solid with the glove, and I can't remember the last time the Angels had a bat off the bench that was a threat to go deep. He'd basically take the place of Navarro - lefty bat with a good eye. He can't play COF like Navarro, and glove isn't as solid, but his bat plays much better. And if the bench had a good defensive OFer or two, I don't think we'd lose much without Efren on the bench.

Jaso would work just as well.

Morneau was referred to as a China Doll in Minnesota so I would prefer Jaso as well but not for a lot of money.

If we get him then we have three roster spaces given up for 1b/dh.

That happened several times last year with Navarro as well.

Depends on who else is brought in this offseason. If our likely big-name OF signee can spot Trout in CF on a day off, such as Heyward, maybe Cespedes, it eliminates the need of a 4th OF who can play CF, or a 5th OF entirely, and allows more flexibility for a Morneau/Jaso type. They'd be there to be a legit HR threat off the bench, and maybe Cron insurance should he struggle, and not much more than that.

Edited by totdprods

Is Navarro all that bad as a third injury backup option to Pujols and Cron?  I'd hate to waste another roster spot on a another first baseman.  We have a lot of other holes to fill.

Well, I think Pujols being out until May, and not even receiving enough AB's to be in regular season mode before June opens up the opportunity for quite an audition. Let's keep in mind, Morneau is only a year removed from a batting title.

If he can't get it done or stay healthy, no biggy, he goes to the bench in favor of Pujols. If he is healthy and hitting, he's our 1B/DH.

Well, I think Pujols being out until May, and not even receiving enough AB's to be in regular season mode before June opens up the opportunity for quite an audition. Let's keep in mind, Morneau is only a year removed from a batting title.

If he can't get it done or stay healthy, no biggy, he goes to the bench in favor of Pujols. If he is healthy and hitting, he's our 1B/DH.

I see your point Scotty.  However, if I were to rank the issues I guess I would do so like this:

1.  Solve LF.

2.  At least one more really good veteran reliever.

3.  Solve 2B, or at least provide a strong bench guy who can cover behind Giovotella, and who can really defend.

4.  Decide on 3B, do we have Freese or not.  It matters only because sucks up money if Freese resigns that could be used elsewhere.  I like Cowart and Kubitza, I just hope they are ready.

5.  Then, back up 1B with maybe someone more versatile than Mourneau.

6.  An additional starter, if the deal is favorable, necessitated by signing Simmons.

7.  Address the bench positions, and maybe one more reliever.

I think the problem with ranking issues though is that players don't become available in serial order.  It gets complicated because players aren't necessarily available in the sequencing that you need them.  A good question for you is, is there any position players outside of Kubitza or Cowart in our system who could really help in 2016? (Other than Bandy, Navarro, or Featherston).

Edited by tomsred

I see your point Scotty. However, if I were to rank the issues I guess I would do so like this:

1. Solve LF.

2. At least one more really good veteran reliever.

3. Solve 2B, or at least provide a strong bench guy who can cover behind Giovotella, and who can really defend.

4. Decide on 3B, do we have Freese or not. It matters only because sucks up money if Freese resigns that could be used elsewhere. I like Cowart and Kubitza, I just hope they are ready.

5. Then, back up 1B with maybe someone more versatile than Mourneau.

6. An additional starter, if the deal is favorable, necessitated by signing Simmons.

7. Address the bench positions, and maybe one more reliever.

I think the problem with ranking issues though is that players don't become available in serial order. It gets complicated because players aren't necessarily available in the sequencing that you need them. A good question for you is, is there any position players outside of Kubitza or Cowart in our system who could really help in 2016? (Other than Bandy, Navarro, or Featherston).

I understand and agreee with tthis, but which Featherston are you refering to?

Surely not the joke dumped onto our 25 man for an entire year?

I understand and agreee with tthis, but which Featherston are you refering to?

Surely not the joke dumped onto our 25 man for an entire year?

He should have never been up here last year at all.  Do I think he's hopeless for all time, no.  He has some basic raw skills that need minor league development, then he might be emergency filler.

I see your point Scotty. However, if I were to rank the issues I guess I would do so like this:

1. Solve LF.

2. At least one more really good veteran reliever.

3. Solve 2B, or at least provide a strong bench guy who can cover behind Giovotella, and who can really defend.

4. Decide on 3B, do we have Freese or not. It matters only because sucks up money if Freese resigns that could be used elsewhere. I like Cowart and Kubitza, I just hope they are ready.

5. Then, back up 1B with maybe someone more versatile than Mourneau.

6. An additional starter, if the deal is favorable, necessitated by signing Simmons.

7. Address the bench positions, and maybe one more reliever.

I think the problem with ranking issues though is that players don't become available in serial order. It gets complicated because players aren't necessarily available in the sequencing that you need them. A good question for you is, is there any position players outside of Kubitza or Cowart in our system who could really help in 2016? (Other than Bandy, Navarro, or Featherston).

I see your point, but I think instead of ranking particular needs, it should be viewed in a broader sense. Like....

1. Improve the offense - doesn't matter so much how, as long as it's done.

2. Create more bullpen depth. Whether this means internal options stepping up, trading for RP or buying them matters little.

3. Front of the rotation starter.

As for any players that could help, there's no sure thing, but the top two candidates you wouldn't have expected are Chad Hinshaw or Alex Yarbrough. I wouldn't count on either, but if it did happen, it will have made sense to me. Chad is fast, pretty solid plate discipline, just enough pop and plays outstanding defense. He could be a difference maker late in games with the potential for more in the future. As for Alex, before last year he was a good hitter, could run just enough and had grown into a very good defender at 2B. I'm hoping he just had some weird off year in AAA. If that's the case, and we didn't bring in another option at 2B, Yarbrough has every bit the talent to be our starting 2B.

Far outside shot, Sherman Johnson and Bo Way. Sherman plays decent defense, and can take a walk and can run. Just not much of a hitter. Way has an outside shot at being a 4th OF later in the year.

Of course, this is all excluding Navarro, Cowart, Kubitza and Bandy.