• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So I'm pretty sure the Angels will be going after Heyward

beatlesrule

I din't say they were going to play for the Angels, I said they are all either a better defender, younger, better all around player or more importantly a cheaper option (opposed to a 200M+ Heyward). The best part is I think we have two players that are already better than him, as mentioned, so luckily the Angels hopefully wont be a major player in the Heyward sweepstakes. Every player and person in general has some sort of red flag. You at least throw around the idea of Dexter Fowler because he plays good defense, gets on base, has some pop, is a top of the order type bat and again the best part is he will cost pennies on the dollar compared too the other FA's.

We need to consider both value and actual production. Fowler is going to cost a draft pick. He's spent his entire career in hitters parks. He's a bad defensive centerfielder. Fangraphs Steamer projects expect 1.7 WAR next year. He will do worse with the Angels, as he will lose value moving to the corner outfield, and he will lose value moving to a pitchers park. 

Yes 1.5 war is a huge upgrade for us BUT WE NEED TO DO BETTER. How many years will it be before we are already looking for a new left fielder? 2? 1?

He isn't perfect but he also wont cost as much. You sign him to a 4-6 year deal at 12-18M per. Fowler leaves some to be desired for sure, especially in terms of games a year. I believe Dexter is a safer bet than Heyward but Jason has more upside (But you would also be paying for it). I'm sure the reality is we wont be getting either one though.

Edited by DailyHalo

We need to consider both value and actual production. Fowler is going to cost a draft pick. He's spent his entire career in hitters parks. He's a bad defensive centerfielder. Fangraphs Steamer projects expect 1.7 WAR next year. He will do worse with the Angels, as he will lose value moving to the corner outfield, and he will lose value moving to a pitchers park. 

Yes 1.5 war is a huge upgrade for us BUT WE NEED TO DO BETTER. How many years will it be before we are already looking for a new left fielder? 2? 1?

or spend less to get 1.5 WAR from LF.  

Rajai Davis had 1.8 WAR in LF last year over 370 plate appearances putting up a wRC+ of 101. Making him 3.3 WAR better than Matt Joyce.  

We had -1.4 WAR as a team from LF in 2015.  

Here is an interesting question:

What is more important?

Adding one fairly dynamic player who bats in the middle of the lineup and gives you 4 WAR or spreading the upgrades out over multiple positions.

In other words, what's better?

Cespedes/Upton, Giavotella, Cowart/Kubitza

or

Parra, Zobrist, Freese

I don't really have the answer obviously, but I think it can be argued either way.  Frankly, I lean toward the latter as it doesn't put all your eggs in one basket.  

He isn't perfect but he also wont cost as much. You sign him to a 4-6 year deal at 12-18M per. Fowler leaves some to be desired for sure, especially in terms of games a year. I believe Dexter is a safer bet than Heyward but Jason has more upside (But you would also be paying for it). I'm sure the reality is we wont be getting either one though.

you seriously think giving up the first round pick and handing dexter f'ing fowler a contract for 4-6 years is a good idea? also, you suggest paying him between 50-100 million dollars?

you seriously think giving up the first round pick and handing dexter f'ing fowler a contract for 4-6 years is a good idea? also, you suggest paying him between 50-100 million dollars?

I'm thinking 4 years at 60M or 5 at 75M range at the most (for us at least). We will be losing picks all winter, I'm sure. We are not going to rebuild this team at first by methodically getting draft picks every year. We'll have to trade players to restock the farm but were going too need those players on the team for now. The farm is just going to have too wait another year for any major changes, since were trying to compete. You cant have a reliable Farm system if the philosophy/direction is constantly changing. We have way to much invested in the current team too be worrying about how prospects are going to pan out 5 plus years down the road. I know we all got greedy for a few years there when everyone we brought up contributed but now trading for a few AA/AAA type players, is more plausible than going after individual draftees. 

Edited by DailyHalo

I asked Eppler specifically several times (before and after the Simmons deal) if we should infer that he's more interested in defense.

He said he's not.

My impression is he wants the best of both. But it's not like he would turn down a big slugger who can't play defense.

.......Hopefully your not talking about someone like David Freese! What does he say about the pitching front?

Edited by DailyHalo

Are you saying Fowler and his contract are safer than Heyward and his contract or Fowler himself is a safer bet than Heyward just based on performance? 

or spend less to get 1.5 WAR from LF.

Rajai Davis had 1.8 WAR in LF last year over 370 plate appearances putting up a wRC+ of 101. Making him 3.3 WAR better than Matt Joyce.

We had -1.4 WAR as a team from LF in 2015.

Here is an interesting question:

What is more important?

Adding one fairly dynamic player who bats in the middle of the lineup and gives you 4 WAR or spreading the upgrades out over multiple positions.

In other words, what's better?

Cespedes/Upton, Giavotella, Cowart/Kubitza

or

Parra, Zobrist, Freese

I don't really have the answer obviously, but I think it can be argued either way. Frankly, I lean toward the latter as it doesn't put all your eggs in one basket.

I'd be okay with each route to a degree, hard to say for sure because there's going to be too many other reaction moves made regardless of the route, and those would determine how I feel.

It's almost a given we have to deal a SP this offseason, no matter which way we go from this. And of course we will sign some folks on minor league deals so that may tip one moreso.

Are you saying Fowler and his contract are safer than Heyward and his contract or Fowler himself is a safer bet than Heyward just based on performance? 

I believe Fowler will gives us the most value for the money, his contract is a safer bet imo. Heyward is the better player but I just feel he wont be worth the payday. What he'll give you, for the money can be used on multiply areas. 

Edited by DailyHalo

Fowler has a high strikout rate for a guy with little power. His career is a roller coaster of up and down seasons of production, fluctuating from a good 120 ops+ to nearly replacement level. I have a hard time seeing any long term value out of the guy other than being just good enough to play. The Angels could really use more above league average players rather than the latter.