• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The best ideas so far...

Second Base

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

Aroldis Chapman

Todd Frazier

Joey Votto

Jay Bruce

Brandon Phillips

Do they help us win the A.L West? I think so. World Series?? Maybe if Scioscia goes to lasagna rehab and Bud Black takes over.

I could get on board with Frazier and taking on Phillips' contract to lower the asking price on Frazier?

It's kind of hard to have 2 sidewinders in your pen. It's more of a change of pace release point thing. Especially, if you bring them in back to back O'Day to Smith....Just Sayin~

I think that's the biggest reason why it wasn't pursued. Their similarities may cancel out some of their deception and make them a little less effective.

Dipoto built a pen comprised of soft-tossers with deception and movement and better command and it worked really well - WHEN they had one flamethrower (Jepsen) in the pen. Once he was removed the dynamic changed. Not necessarily because it was Kevin Jepsen, just because he was the lone high velocity arm. Think bringing in a flamethrower this year would help the remainder of the pen.

You're kidding, right?

No.

Dude came in at the start of the offseason to a ball club looking to win it all in '16. He probably has seen very little of the org's prospects, has had only had a few weeks worth of time to meet, learn, and discuss the state of the farm with his pre-existing employees and staff, and probably hasn't even met all of the minor league on-field staff yet. He has about a month or two to flesh out the big-league club, not go over pre-draft meetings with cross-checkers and minor league staff. He's not going to be as married to the idea of ensuring that one draft pick is the pick we need. By the time he starts focusing on that, all these big name FA's will be off the board.

He has a multi-year contract, so his approach is going to be make an impact and focus on the big-league team now to compete and fill all these holes for 2016. The FO isn't even completely built yet, so he's going to be occupied building that as well.

Once he's got his team in place, the scouts, AGM's, cross-checkers, coaching staff and whatever organizational philosophies, strengths, weaknesses, areas of opportunity, etc in place, he will worry farm more about that 1st round draft pick.

I think that pick is as good as gone - it's a heavy FA class, there's money to spend, a slew of impact players with picks attached - he knows this too and I think he will go that direction this offseason, and then over the course of '16 begin familiarizing himself in greater detail with the lower levels of the minors, the lesser known players, needs, strengths, same thought process applied to coaches and scouts..

Edited by totdprods

O'Day has been money for the past 7 seasons, aside from one injury plagued one several years back.

How many relievers have had his consistency over a similar period?

Gott is a flamethrower, although the K's certainly didn't tell that story in 2015.

That's the exact reason I am hesitant about O'Day. The only other top reliever I can think of who dominated similarly over a length of time that great was Scot Shields and when he crashed, it was abrupt and ugly. It started in his age 33 season, and age 34 was his last in baseball period.

O'Day is 33 already and going to command a mighty contract. Love him, we should have never let him go, but I fear it's more likely he would be an expensive pumpkin within a season or two than the same dominant reliever we would have paid for. Also, we have an enormous amount RHP relief depth, but not much on the LHP side, and none of our current LHP starters in the majors or minors seem to really be on the verge of breaking out as a LHP bullpen star. Besides, usually that doesn't happen until they've been tried and tested as a rotation piece. Look at every dominant lefty reliever and you'll see more often than not their career started with a couple mediocre seasons as a starter.

Look, I understand relievers *can* age well, and O'Day has been something special for a long time, but to commit that amount of money for that amount of time? 30 year old Bastardo or the deadly against lefties and righties Sipp sounds more appealing, and are cheaper. 

Edited by totdprods

Sign Span for LF (leadoff), sign 2B Zobrist, sign 1B Chris Davis, trade Cron, Bedrosian & Santiago for SP Drew Smyly & RP Jake McGee, trade Shoemaker for 3B Prado, trade Aybar, Ellis, Alcantara & Baldoquin for A. Simmons. The lineup will be locked and loaded and the pitching staff will look solid going into the season. I'd pass on spending a ton of $$$ on these FA starting pitchers IMO. We improve our team OBP by a TON and get some pop in our lineup. 

Lineup:

LF Span

2B Zobrist

CF Trout

1B Davis

DH Pujols

RF Calhoun

3B Prado 

SS Simmons

C  Perez

Rotation:

Richards