• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels expected to look for a big bat

SoWhat

I like Heyward.  He isn't a prototypical power hitter, but how often does that work in Anaheim anyways?  With Heyward, the Angels would have a very young OF and would likely be the best defensive OF in baseball.  They would then have their young OF locked down for years.  In a pitchers park, OF defense comes in to play more often because there is more ground to cover.  I think the fact he is more of a doubles hitter is perfect for Anaheim (especially since he is a lefty).  He also is just entering his prime and posted the best year of his career with an OPS of about .800 and a 117 OPS+.  He also is good for about 20 SB, something not a single Angel's player did this year.  To me he is a perfect fit.  You could then have something like this for the first 5 spots of the lineup: 

1. Calhoun

2. Heyward

3. Trout

4. Cron

5. Pujols (yeah I know, wishful thinking)

Cron and Pujols would likely be switched in this scenario.  You could also switch Heyward and Calhoun since Heyward has better speed.  Either way its a very good 1-5.  He is going to get a ton of money, but I think it is worth it.  When Trout's contract ends you want a solid team to still be around him.  Its very rare you get a chance to sign a solid player that is just entering his prime.  I think they should take advantage even at the steep price you guys are projecting.

Looking at MLBTR's article on the White Sox.  I looked up the outfielders.

Dexter Fowler looks like a solid second choice if you aren't going for a power bat.  

.750-.770 OPS his entire career including a .774 OPS in Houston.  So there is at least a baseline for if he will be able to do it in the AL.

OBP, .363 in his MLB career.  I usually don't like this stat for power hitters. But...

Almost all his starts have been #1.  So he's a pure leadoff hitter.

He steals some bases, but not much.  Then again, that's the angle the Angels have gone to anyways.

He'll be 30.   So probably a 4-5 year contract?  And as the article pointed out, $8-15 million a year.  

This guy IMO for price, length, need, and risk is a much better option then Heyward.  

I agree with this 100%.  I believe the Angels have so many holes to fill, it makes more sense signing several of the second-tier level free agents than it would signing one of the biggest names out there.  Dexter Fowler is one of those guys and he is a perfect fit for the Angels.

Fowler would be less money than Heyward and with that money saved, the Angels could sign Zobrist/Murphy for second base, a starting pitcher like Chen/Leake/Gallardo and a relief pitcher.

Edited by VariousCrap

I don't understand the idea of trading Calhoun. We are looking for an outfielder to cover a corner and spot and want to trade another one of our young cost-controlled outfielders? He strikes out a lot yet, but he does produce. He's making $500k and hit 26hr with nearly a .260 clip (not great, but will take it). His obp was his lowest this year but looking at his previous numbers, it would be totally realistic to hope for an increase to .330 obp. He hits 4 more hr and he's a 30 hr guy.

I agree with this 100%.  I believe the Angels have so many holes to fill, it makes more sense signing several of the second-tier level free agents than it would signing one of the biggest names out there.  Dexter Fowler is one of those guys and he is a perfect fit for the Angels.

Fowler would be less money than Heyward and with that money saved, the Angels could sign Zobrist/Murphy for second base, a starting pitcher like Chen/Leake/Gallardo and a relief pitcher.

Good points.  I really like the thought of having Heyward, Calhoun, and Trout for years to come.  That being said, I would be ok with the scenario you just laid out as well.

"Bottom line is logic doesn't have a place in free agency. It is completely market driven paying for mostly past performance and current and near-term performance."

This is exactly why I think the Angels front office should look elsewhere to try and bolster our offense. As you said, most of the time you don't get value out of these contracts. So why would we put ourselves in that position again?

I could see risking signing a player who is an elite slugger or even a top tier lead off guy. Even that is a risk. But to invest in a guy who really hasn't put up anywhere near the numbers that would justify giving him the kind of contract that people are speculating? Doesn't seem worth it to me.

And just because he is young, doesn't make his career numbers so far look any better. I guess my point is that even if his numbers diminish a little bit, which is very possible due to the switching of leagues and big contract pressure, he will be a bust just based on the fact that his numbers weren't a game changer to begin with.

Totally agree with where you're coming from Angelsfirst. The problem is that the Angels, due to a barren farm and a lack of quality position players, have put themselves in a spot where obtaining good players will have to happen through free agency. We have enough pitching depth to trade for one really good position player or starting pitcher or perhaps 2-3 mid-tier types.

The one thing we do have, if Arte removes the glass ceiling of the luxury tax threshold is money. Money that can be used to purchase players rather than trade for them.

Right now the one thing the free agent market does have is position players and that is the one thing we really have to get this offseason if we want to really improve.

It is not an ideal choice and I think we definitely both agree on that. However if we are capped by the luxury tax we will have a rough time trying to improve the team in the offseason.

I will be discussing this quite a bit in the Primer series of articles that should be coming out starting today so I won't regurgitate everything I wrote there but it is my personal opinion that Arte should open the floodgate in 2016 only and we should invest in free agency, this year only, to improve our team and to help create a sustainable future as well.

Edited by ettin

I don't understand the idea of trading Calhoun. We are looking for an outfielder to cover a corner and spot and want to trade another one of our young cost-controlled outfielders? He strikes out a lot yet, but he does produce. He's making $500k and hit 26hr with nearly a .260 clip (not great, but will take it). His obp was his lowest this year but looking at his previous numbers, it would be totally realistic to hope for an increase to .330 obp. He hits 4 more hr and he's a 30 hr guy.

Yeah I'm not sure where the **** that is coming from...Makes absolutely no sense...

Edited by Poozy

With salaries going the way they are, will we continue to see a lot of bad teams like the NL had this past season (SIX teams at least 20 games under .500)?

How many of the current MLB franchises can survive this crazy money era?

The Latriners need to stumble in the post-season regularly.

Then, maybe, owners will see how crazy money doesn't necessarily lead to ultimate success.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

I would love Fowler but I think it will cost more than the 4/5 at 8/15 mlbtraderumors is estimating. I bet Fowler gets closer to 5/100.

Hopefully, Fowler doesn't mind switching to LF, because the angels aren't going to move Trout.

No way Fowler get 5/100.  5/75 will be his max and he would be worth it IMO.  He had a so-so year in CF for the Cubs this season, I don't see him moving to LF being an issue.

With salaries going the way they are, will we continue to see a lot of bad teams like the NL had this past season (SIX teams at least 20 games under .500)?

How many of the current MLB franchises can survive this crazy money era?

The Latriners need to stumble in the post-season regularly.

Then, maybe, owners will see how crazy money doesn't necessarily lead to ultimate success.  

As long as the TV deals keep happening, the teams will continue to spend at an insane amount.  It won't be the Dodgers continuing to fail in the post-season that will stop them from spending, it will be Time Warner going broke on the horrible TV deal they gave them that could hurt the Dodgers.  So far, Time Warner is losing a ton of money on that deal.

No way Fowler get 5/100.  5/75 will be his max and he would be worth it IMO.  He had a so-so year in CF for the Cubs this season, I don't see him moving to LF being an issue.

I hope you are right and that he signs something like 5/75 with the Angels. About as good as a fit as there is for the Angels on the FA market.

Alex Gordon will not be available. He has been quoted a couple of times saying he will accept his option with KC.  I really wish he would become a FA. He would be my #1 pick for LF / leadoff hitter.

You telling me he would turn down 100+ million dollars? Seriously?

Please show me where he's said he will accept his option. All I can find is some pathetic click bait reporter lying about what gordon actually said in 2014, which was.. 

“Casey’s not the boss of me,” Gordon said with a grin. “I’m sure he’ll have things to say and whatnot. But when it comes down to it, it’s my decision.”

“I don’t know,” he said. “I don’t know. Win the World Series, then think about it.”

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/royals-lf-alex-gordon-unlikely-to-pick-up-2016-option/

Edited by Poozy

You telling me he would turn down 100+ million dollars? Seriously?

Please show me where he's said he will accept his option. 

He has a player option for 2016 with the Royals.  He has said several times he will exercise that option as soon as he is allowed to.

And any team that would give Alex Gordon a 100 million deal is as dumb as they come.  He is not worth anything close to that.

He has a player option for 2016 with the Royals.  He has said several times he will exercise that option as soon as he is allowed to.

And any team that would give Alex Gordon a 100 million deal is as dumb as they come.  He is not worth anything close to that.

No he hasn't

Actually he did, but when I looked up the articles I read in which he said that, they were all from 2014.  Obviously that was then and this is now.

then show me these mysterious articles from 2014 of Gordon stating he will exercise his option...I sure can't find anything...

Edited by Poozy

It makes me laugh when people call Heyward a "slightly above average outfielder" or "not very good". Just solidifies the point that on angelswin you are either Mike Trout, or you suck.

He's a solid player and yes I think he could help this offense, but he's had one year where his OPS has cracked .800. He has never hit for power, except for one year in 2012.

Ok, he's an above average outfielder. But is he enough of an offensive force where it would make sense spending 200 million for 7-8 years? I just don't think so.

then show me these mysterious articles from 2014..I sure can't find anything...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/alex-gordon-plans-to-exercise-2016-player-option.html

"Alex Gordon says he plans to exercise his $13.25MM player option with the Royals for 2016, Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports. Gordon is in the midst of a four-year, $37.5MM deal that covered, or covers, the 2012 through 2015 seasons."