• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Salas is Frieri redux + general thoughts.

ghoetke

You gotta bring something more than a fast ball in the big leagues. Even a .200 average hitter can turn on a fastball like last night. That was pretty much Frieri's undoing.

At this juncture, I feel the Halo's weaknesses are situational hitting with runners in scoring position and less than two outs. We can score in bunches and make a rout of it, but  we don't produce very often in the clutch in close games.

We're playing like the Astros did ten days ago and they seem to have recovered.

One more thing. Ever notice how well the pitchers we have traded or released are doing ?? Kazmir is a case in point. Is that a coincidence?

You gotta bring something more than a fast ball in the big leagues. Even a .200 average hitter can turn on a fastball like last night. That was pretty much Frieri's undoing.

At this juncture, I feel the Halo's weaknesses are situational hitting with runners in scoring position and less than two outs. We can score in bunches and make a rout of it, but  we don't produce very often in the clutch in close games.

We're playing like the Astros did ten days ago and they seem to have recovered.

One more thing. Ever notice how well the pitchers we have traded or released are doing ?? Kazmir is a case in point. Is that a coincidence?

you know Frieri's fastball was at 95+ while Salas is at 90? 

why does MS trust this guy so much? 

Because Dipoto traded Jepsen away.

I said at the time we could come to regret that. Jepsen may have been a frustrating Jekyll and Hyde pitcher, but he was *our* Jekyll and Hyde pitcher, and we gave him up for Matt Joyce all so that Arte could sweep his petty beef with Josh Hamilton under the rug by giving him to a division rival practically free of charge. 

I would take Jeppy in the pen and Hamilton in LF over our current situation any day. Hell, even if Arte didn't want Hamilton to play, we could have simply gone with a 24-man roster and kept  Hamilton perpetually on the bench.

many years later they became better, one prioritized baseball over pot, and got better the other went to Europe and had a procedure done, then tested positive for PEDs.

I wonder who the next pitcher will be that leaves the Angels & turns into an ace at age 30+.

I bet it will be CJ, traded & then has a season with a 9.0 K9 & 2.70 ERA in 2018.

or will it be Blanton ?

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP

many years later they became better, one prioritized baseball over pot, and got better the other went to Europe and had a procedure done, then tested positive for PEDs.

The most frustrating and memorable example of a pitcher getting much better after leaving was Fernando Rodney. He absolutely sucked in 2011, contributing to the Angels missing the postseason, then went on to have the best season ever for a relief pitcher with Tampa Bay in 2012. 

He has come down to earth a bit:

bow-and-arrow-o.gif

but is still not as bad as he was with the Angels.

The most frustrating and memorable example of a pitcher getting much better after leaving was Fernando Rodney. He absolutely sucked in 2011, contributing to the Angels missing the postseason, then went on to have the best season ever for a relief pitcher with Tampa Bay in 2012. 

He has come down to earth a bit:

bow-and-arrow-o.gif

but is still not as bad as he was with the Angels.

You're talking about Fernando Rodney, he's 3-4, 5.51 ERA, 1.452 WHIP, has given up 9.0 hits per nine, and 8 HR's in a little over 40 innings. - Salary $7.0M.

Personally, I like Salas a whole lot better. 4.35 ERA, 1-1, 8.2 hits per nine, 1.09 WHIP, and has given up 4 HR's.  Salary 1.370M.

Edited by tomsred

You're talking about Fernando Rodney, he's 3-4, 5.51 ERA, 1.452 WHIP, has given up 9.0 hits per nine, and 8 HR's in a little over 40 innings. - Salary $7.0M.

Personally, I like Salas a whole lot better. 4.35 ERA, 1-1, 8.2 hits per nine, 1.09 WHIP, and has given up 4 HR's.  Salary 1.370M.

That's like picking the lesser of two STDs..   

In a 0-0 ballgane, no reason Salas should have been out there. In a 0-0 ballgame you bring in the big guns to keep it 0-0 game until we get lucky with a home run or doinker with a guy on 2nd. Not time to give the stinker "some practice" out there with only 2 more months of the season left when you're fighting for 1st place.

Terrible, terrible bullpen management by Mike Scioscia, just like we've all said before, and just like we've all become accustom to.

I agree with not sending Salas out there, but on the road managers don't send out their closers in tie games unless it is extra innings.

Yep, you're looking for a hold not a save.  You have to save that bullet for a higher leverage situation.  Our bullpen outside of Smith and Street have struggled quite a bit lately, there weren't any good alternatives.  They will get back on track, or maybe we get lucky and get some replacements who can really help.