• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Latest From AngelsWin.com: Angels Fans: This is NOT Your College Tequila

dave.jpg

By David Saltzer, AngelsWin.com Senior Writer

I will be honest: Like many, I gave up drinking tequila in college. That was 20+ years ago, before the whole mixology movement had begun, and the tequila I got wasn't always the highest of qualities.

But that will be changing. 

Last week, AngelsWin.com was invited to attend an event hosted by Familia Camarena Tequila. Held in the Diamond Club restaurant, Familia Camarena brought in local mixologist Joel Black (Black Lab Ventures) to teach us how to create unique and premium drinks using their tequila.

All I can say is WOW!

In teaching the crowd about his drinks, Joel explained the differences between a quality tequila such as Familia Camarena’s Silver or Reposado Tequila and a commercial grade product. I could go on and on about the growth of the plants, the cooking process, etc. but all fans need to know is that the difference is using 100% agave tequila for a premium cocktail and a mixto tequila, which only uses about 51% tequila and about 49% from less expensive sugars. (For more information about the process that Familia Camarena uses, please click here to visit their website)

The difference was amazing. At the beginning of the lesson, Joel had the crowd do a taste test with a mixto tequila and 100% agave tequila. The color, smell and taste were noticeably different. The mixto had a strong “medicinal” smell and taste and the familiar aftertaste that I remembered from years ago. The 100% agave tequila did not. 

Served over ice, such as in Angels Stadium, I could easily see Angels fans drinking either the Silver or Reposado during a game. Angels fans can find Familia Camarena Tequila located at vendors throughout the stadium. 

However, Joel then continued with his lesson and taught the crowd how to make three signature drinks. Having watched many shows such as “Bar Rescue” I was excited to try my hand at mixology. Joel was the right teacher for the job: he mixed humor and fun with the passion of making quality beverages.

According to Joel, the mixology movement has been around since about 2007. For those not too familiar with it, I asked Joel what the difference was between a mixologist and a bartender. He said “A mixologist creates new drinks, a bartender makes them.” 

Camarena+Silver+Paloma.jpg

The first drink that Joel had us make was the Silver Paloma. This was one of the Familia Camarena’s signature drinks, and it showed. Using fresh ingredients made all the difference in the world, and it was a joy to drink.

Camarena+Change+Up.jpg

The second drink was the Camarena Change-Up, a unique drink created by Joel Black. Easy to make, easy on the tongue, it would be the highlight to any backyard party.

Camarena+Grand+Slam.jpg

The last was our favorite, the Camarena Grand Slam. Wow! It hit all the notes. It had sour and spice. You could add more jalapeño to it to give it a kick and make it your own special drink. This may become one of my main drinks when I’m watching an away game on my TV at home.

Right now, Tequila is the fastest growing spirit in the U.S. Sales have grown by over 48 million bottles over the last 10 years. Priced at just $20 a bottle, both the Silver and Reposado represent a premium beverage at a reasonable price and has become the second fastest growing spirit brand in America.

AngelsWin.com looks forward to partnering with Familia Camarena Tequila and Joel Black to bring more events to Angels fans. Stay tuned over the season as we look for new ways to partner with both.

For more information about Familia Camarena Tequila, please click here or add them on Twitter @CamarenaTequila or like them on Facebook here.

For more information about Joel Black and Black Lab Productions, please click here or add him on Twitter@blacklabventure or like him on Facebook here.

Oh, it goes without saying: Drink Responsibly. Everyone at AngelsWin.com and at Familia Camarena Tequila wants to see you at the ballpark for years to come. Designate a driver, drink responsibly, and never drink and drive. Take a taxi, do what you have to, but get home safely.

Here's some more pictures of my time with the fine people from Camarena Tequila at the Big A.

Camarena+Bottles+Stadium.jpg

Muddling.jpg

Camarena+Bottle+-+Seminar.jpg

Camarena+Grand+Slam.jpg

Joel+Instructing.jpg

Joel+with+Cocktail.jpg

Joel.jpg

Place+Setting.jpg

Seminar+Setup.jpg

Silver+Paloma.jpg

Drinking the drinks was good, but making the drinks was more than half the fun! Funny, the more we made, the more we drank, the more fun it all became. AngelsWin.com hopes to have some fun events going forward with both Familia Camarena Tequila and Joel Black very soon. Check them both out!

I tried Camarena Tequila.

As an alternative to Jose Cuervo, it's good.  However, as an alternative to almost any other tequila, it's not.

Perhaps it stems from the fact that I'm a tequila snob and have tried more different tequilas up and down the price spectrum than most (Yes, I have spent more than $200 on a bottle).

But for those who's almost entire exposure to tequila involves Jose Cuervo and Patron (the Kardashian of tequila's, only popular because it's popular) this could be a decent alternative.

BTW, I tried the Camarena after hearing they were sponsors of the Angels.

Good luck with the future promo's, but unless they up their game significantly in the smoothness, I will continue to pass.

I tried Camarena Tequila.

As an alternative to Jose Cuervo, it's good.  However, as an alternative to almost any other tequila, it's not.

Perhaps it stems from the fact that I'm a tequila snob and have tried more different tequilas up and down the price spectrum than most (Yes, I have spent more than $200 on a bottle).

But for those who's almost entire exposure to tequila involves Jose Cuervo and Patron (the Kardashian of tequila's, only popular because it's popular) this could be a decent alternative.

BTW, I tried the Camarena after hearing they were sponsors of the Angels.

Good luck with the future promo's, but unless they up their game significantly in the smoothness, I will continue to pass.

Thanks for s-ing on the post.

Booze snobs are the worst. 

Thanks for s-ing on the post.

Booze snobs are the worst. 

First off, this post read more like a paid for advertisement for Camarena than it did as a Public interest story.  If Camarena is going to sponsor the Angels and Angelswin.com then great!  More power to them.

However, just because they are a sponsor doesn't mean that I need to start farting rainbows and pissing lemonade whenever they are mentioned.

And, FYI, my favorite tequila (which has gone unmentioned here out of respect for the idea that Camarena is a sponsor) is only $5 per bottle more, hardly "snobbish" territory.

Patron (the Kardashian of tequila's, only popular because it's popular)

Personally I see nothing wrong with Patron, which is popular because it's good.  Of course some hate Patron because it's hated.  I'll drink Patron Anejo any time.

First off, this post read more like a paid for advertisement for Camarena than it did as a Public interest story.  If Camarena is going to sponsor the Angels and Angelswin.com then great!  More power to them.

However, just because they are a sponsor doesn't mean that I need to start farting rainbows and pissing lemonade whenever they are mentioned.

And, FYI, my favorite tequila (which has gone unmentioned here out of respect for the idea that Camarena is a sponsor) is only $5 per bottle more, hardly "snobbish" territory.

Nobody is asking you to fart rainbows over them.  Just like nobody asked for your tequila opinions.

Are you really that socially dense?  It is pretty clear based on the the original post, and Chuck's endorsement, that there is some sort of arrangement/partnership going on between the tequila maker and angelswin.  Out of respect for the site, and Chuck, I think most people understand if tequila isn't their thing, or this brand in particular isn't their thing, they'd just keep their mouth shut.

But apparently, not you - you must be special.  Go ahead and regale us with your superior tequila taste and knowledge.

There are a couple of points to this article. First, AngelsWin.com is very proud to be working very hard to bring some really cool events to Angels fans by partnering with Camarena Tequila. Second, this was a really cool event at the stadium, and showed a dramatic improvement in the relationship between the team's sponsors and the fans. I thought that it was an incredibly well run event and a lot of fun. 

As for the quality of the product, sure, there may be better ones out there, but most of them cost a whole heck of a lot more than the $20/bottle for Camarena Tequila. I thought that their price was rather reasonable for their product. I really had given up drinking tequila after one night in college, but, was pleased with the drinks that I learned to make at the event. Frankly, if mixology had been more in vogue when I was in my more formative years, I would have been a lot more happy to go out to bars and things.

What's the Angelswin popcorn of choice, so I can better enjoy this thread?

Orbil Retinblockers.  Inside each bag you will find a small gift, either a Jeff Mathis bubblegum ball, or a small sample bag from Vlad's Mom of freeze dried chicken and rice.