• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Grade Sheet

Let's take a look at the players Dipoto got rid of and who he replaced them with. As you know, Dipoto basically swapped Vernon Wells for Josh Hamilton, Greinke, Haren and Santana for Vargas, Blanton, and Hanson, and Walden for Madson. It isn't a direct swap but that's how the team has been changed up - and I'm not looking at some of the minor moves like Izturis, Lowe, Burnett, etc.

How do Dipoto's offseason moves look after 10 games?

WELLS vs. HAMILTON

Wells - .310/.412/.621, 2 HR

Hamilton - .179/.261/.231, 0 HR

STARTING PITCHERS

Zack Greinke - 1.59 ERA, 1-10 BB-K in 11.1 IP

Dan Haren - 9.00 ERA, 0-10 BB-K in 9 IP

Ervin Santana - 3.21 ERA, 2-15 BB-K in 14 IP

Jordan Walden - 2.25 ERA, 0-4 BB-K in 4 IP

Jason Vargas - 4.76 ERA, 5-8 BB-K in 11.1 IP

Joe Blanton - 9.00 ERA, 3-4 BB-K in 10 IP

Tommy Hanson - 6.55 ERA, 2-6 BB-K in 11 IP

Madson - NA

So far Dipoto's moves look terrible. With the lone exception of Dan Haren, all the players he traded, let go of, or didn't re-sign are thriving and none of the players he's brought in are doing well. Obviously the usual "its early" caveat applies, but early on Dipoto is looking less like a JeDi and more like a JeDuh (or JeDud).

Grienke is on the 60 day disabled list, so I guess we can say that Vargas is going to be more productive.

Look, right now the Angels look like a steaming pile of manure. There is no aguing that any move Dipoto made looks bad right now simply because almost the entire roster looks terrible. But I don't believe at this point any of the players they let go would have made an impact with how poorly everything has gone so far.

This team isn't as bad as it is playing but it is certainly playing as bad as the box score and the record reflects. So until they pull their heads out of their asses I think I'm just going to spend more time going to some minor league games.

So Angelsjunky would have rather had Wells.

They also only had 7 days after the WS to make a decision on Haren and Santana, and financially I can see why they went the direction they did.  

Greinke had a choice, and he chose not to come back.  Unless the Angels went 6/$150+ he would not have come here.  Then  people would be here bitching that he's out, and may not be the same pitcher again.

I didn't say that, gotbeer. I fully expect Hamilton to have a much better year than Wells.

The point of this thread is to get an OBJECTIVE view as to how Jerry Dipoto's moves have actually worked out - based on actual numbers. That is, in the end, the only way we can judge his performance. So far its not looking good, but as I said it is only 10 games into the season. I'd like to update this every ten games or so to keep track.

The Angels biggest need was SP and they went and signed Hamilton instead. There is no immediated SP help in the minors and no trade chips to get a TOR starter even if one was available.

Planning of having Vargas, Blanton, and a bum-shouldered Hanson starting 60% of your games was a gutsy bet to begin with, now without Weaver it's just brutal.

I've noticed that a lot of folks had mild expectations for this year - .500 or so. But the thing is, once the Angels signed Hamilton they said "We're trying to win it all now." Or, at least, in the next year or two.

This team wasn't built to get by until the farm builds up around Trout. It was built to win now. The problem, though, is that Dipoto might have made bad gambles on the starters. And of course he also seemed to assume that Jered Weaver would continue as a #1 and CJ Wilson would at least find his #2 fom. After only ten games the jury is still out, but things aren't looking good so far.

I honestly think that if the Angels haven't turned things around by the All-Star break, Mike Scioscia should be fired. If they don't make the playoffs--or at least come close--I think Dipoto needs to go too. Two years in a row of bad, and very expensive, gambles that fail and you have to lose your job.

But that's all conjecture at this point. I'm still hopeful the Angels will turn this around and have a good year.

They also only had 7 days after the WS to make a decision on Haren and Santana, and financially I can see why they went the direction they did.

Greinke had a choice, and he chose not to come back. Unless the Angels went 6/$150+ he would not have come here. Then people would be here bitching that he's out, and may not be the same pitcher again.

How can you say Grienke would be out with us? That fight wouldn't even have happened.

And we've already dug a hole we'll never be able to get out of. Just like last year.

I like Dipoto, but he doesn't seem to get results. Almost only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.

I stopped reading when Hamilton was directly compared to Wells after 10 games.  

Exactly. Hamilton is capable of going on a tear over an extended period of time. Vernon is not.

When (not if) he does, he could carry this team for weeks.

This is an early season disaster, to be sure, but fortunes can turn quickly in baseball. Whether we can overcome this horrid start to make the playoffs is another question, but I do believe we're going to play much better than this, sooner rather than later.

You guys are missing the point or simply not reading what I actually write. The point is to compare results thus far, and then over the course of the year - to see how Dipoto's transactions actually turn out. It is not to make a conclusion now, 10 games into the year, which I've said multiple times in this thread. In other words, how do Dipoto's moves look after 10, 20, 40, 80, 120, 160 games? A running tally, if you will. And this includes direct comparisons between the players he got rid of and those he brought in.

You forgot to mention Torii. I would replace Hamilton with Hunter in a minute if we had the choice. Torii brought so much to this team that Hamilton never will. It seems the whole organization has been running on wishful thinking instead of good baseball sense. Low-balling Trout on the cheap bonus didn't help. Who's in charge. I know Arte pays the bills, but who has the final word. It's time to say the emperor has no clothes. Maybe it's being said on the field.

But all of your work is logged into the system 10 days in. And as more work is ass signed and completed the grade base evolves. You don't simply ignore the work that happened early on in school. You just add it to the rest of the work. 10 days into a class you definitely have a grade.

So far Dipoto's moves look terrible. With the lone exception of Dan Haren, all the players he traded, let go of, or didn't re-sign are thriving and none of the players he's brought in are doing well. Obviously the usual "its early" caveat applies, but early on Dipoto is looking less like a JeDi and more like a JeDuh (or JeDud).

I'm beginning to believe that it is more environmental than talent. The subject has come up repeatedly about the pitching in particular - how it seems that every pitcher in the last 2-3 years who has gotten away from Butcher and Scioscia has improved, some of them markedly. The lone exception is Dan Haren, who may have underlying physical problems that prevent him from progressing. The same thing seems to be happening with hitters.

On the surface, most of the roster moves Dipoto has made appear to be positive. However, I'm also wondering about the atmosphere in the clubhouse. Buster Olney's remark about Mike Trout drove this home to me. He is not playing with the apparent joy that he had a year ago, and the results are not following. I believe that he misses Torii Hunter terribly, and I don't believe that he is alone. Hunter's cheerful attitude and enthusiasm were infectious, and he was one of the few rays of sunshine in a mediocre season. Trout saw him as a mentor. It seemed that almost every time he was shown in the Angels dugout last season, he and Hunter were discussing something.

Scioscia's "tip the cap, turn the page" attitude is far too passive, IMO. I don't pretend to know what goes on when the clubhouse door closes, but it has been said that teams reflect the attitude and personality of their leader. This team is lethargic and unenthusiastic, and they appear to be going through the motions and playing the game with no fire or emotion. My mental health training tells me that there isn't a lot of joy or enthusiasm in that dugout. It is becoming increasingly apparent that there isn't much motivating going on, and when players fall into a rut there isn't anyone to help them come out of it.

Greinke had a choice, and he chose not to come back.  Unless the Angels went 6/$150+ he would not have come here.  Then  people would be here bitching that he's out, and may not be the same pitcher again.

Except he wouldn't be out. They haven't played the Padres. Bad example.

The Angels biggest need was SP and they went and signed Hamilton instead. There is no immediated SP help in the minors and no trade chips to get a TOR starter even if one was available.

Planning of having Vargas, Blanton, and a bum-shouldered Hanson starting 60% of your games was a gutsy bet to begin with, now without Weaver it's just brutal.

Do we want a TOR starter? The only one that might be available is Romero, and...ummm...pass.

Toronto actually has a worse ERA than the Angels. I'll let that sink in.

Cant really speak for Pujols but I do know that Ranger players never considered Hamilton as a "leader" type and typically helped him get going as opposed to him being someone to get other players going. So it would seem a great guy like Hunter being gone would be a big loss.Also you have to wonder if the fact that Trout is considered as one of the 3 guys that will lead this team but also being sorta low-balled might kinda be a slight issue..

Exactly. Hamilton is capable of going on a tear over an extended period of time. Vernon is not.

When (not if) he does, he could carry this team for weeks.

This is an early season disaster, to be sure, but fortunes can turn quickly in baseball. Whether we can overcome this horrid start to make the playoffs is another question, but I do believe we're going to play much better than this, sooner rather than later.

Add to this that Hamilton's not Wells' replacement. He's Torii's replacement.

Trout being "low-balled" is not the issue, never will be.

We needed to see him have another good season, and if he does, he'll certainly get paid.

He's not having a good season so far, 6% in. Yes, we're already 6% in to the season.

I didn't say that, gotbeer. I fully expect Hamilton to have a much better year than Wells.

The point of this thread is to get an OBJECTIVE view as to how Jerry Dipoto's moves have actually worked out - based on actual numbers. That is, in the end, the only way we can judge his performance. So far its not looking good, but as I said it is only 10 games into the season. I'd like to update this every ten games or so to keep track.

So an objective decision can be made this quick? I do not believe that is your point at all, but more to stir things up.